Official MPG for 2017 CX-9

:
‘17 CX9 & ‘19 3 GT
Just got confirmation from our local Mazda dealer in our location that the revised fuel consumption for the 2017 CX-9 (AWD versions) are: 11.5L/100K in city or 20MPG and 8.9L/100K hwy or 26MPG with combined MPG pretty much same as 2016. Not much difference though from 2017 vs 2016 though I've read in a lot of postings that current owners aren't experiencing the advertised MPG in real world driving.

Just got confirmation from our local Mazda dealer in our location that the revised fuel consumption for the 2017 CX-9 (AWD versions) are: 11.5L/100K in city or 20MPG and 8.9L/100K hwy or 26MPG with combined MPG pretty much same as 2016. Not much difference though from 2017 vs 2016 though I've read in a lot of postings that current owners aren't experiencing the advertised MPG in real world driving.

Yeah, not much more than 21 or 22 MPG most drives. Although I did see about 25MPG on a 40 minute highway drive last week.

Actually the revised 2016 EPA ratings for CX-9 AWD have changed from 21/27/23 to 21/26/23 mpg city/highway/combined. For 2017 CX-9 AWD its EPA ratings are down-graded again to 20/26/23 mpg.

I regularly see 25 mpg on long highway trips. Last week, Detroit to Chicago was 25 mpg, averaging ~73 mph. Winter gas, 5 passengers, 93 octane, loaded to the roof with stuff!
I'm also on snow tires, X-Ice. Pretty flat drive, as well. No real hills.
I'm happy with these numbers, for a 3 row SUV.

Actually the revised 2016 EPA ratings for CX-9 AWD have changed from 21/27/23 to 21/26/23 mpg city/highway/combined. For 2017 CX-9 AWD its EPA ratings are down-graded again to 20/26/23 mpg.

We just returned from our Christmas Holiday trip to Nashville and back to Charleston, SC in our 2016 CX-9 GT AWD with 3000 miles on it. Its getting the same mileage as our 2013 GT FWD on the same trip. In the 1300 miles we drove, we got 22 mpg on 95% interstate driving. My wife gets about 18 - 19 mpg around town driving. Our 2013 CX-9 GT FWD got the exact same mileage. Our 2007 CX-9 GT FWD used to get 18 -19 mpg around town and 25 - 26 mpg on the highway. That car had the 3.5 ltr V6. I want that same engine back in the CX-9. I don't know why in the world they replaced it with the 3.7 ltr. V6 as performance is imperceptible but mileage was a lot worse. I think Mazda's Skyactive technology has gone too far with its weight loss. I've noticed the door panels flex more than the older CX-9. I traded in my daughter's CX-5 in for a VW Tiguan because it was built so flimsy. It was recalled for excessive hood flex and door mirrors that vibrated too much because of the lightweight steel in the door panels. It did not make me feel safe putting my daughter in that car. The plastic bumpers flexed so much the reflectors would fall off of them. (shrug):(

When will 2017 models appear at the dealer, or are they already there ?

We just returned from our Christmas Holiday trip to Nashville and back to Charleston, SC in our 2016 CX-9 GT AWD with 3000 miles on it. Its getting the same mileage as our 2013 GT FWD on the same trip. In the 1300 miles we drove, we got 22 mpg on 95% interstate driving. My wife gets about 18 - 19 mpg around town driving. Our 2013 CX-9 GT FWD got the exact same mileage. Our 2007 CX-9 GT FWD used to get 18 -19 mpg around town and 25 - 26 mpg on the highway. That car had the 3.5 ltr V6. I want that same engine back in the CX-9. I don't know why in the world they replaced it with the 3.7 ltr. V6 as performance is imperceptible but mileage was a lot worse. I think Mazda's Skyactive technology has gone too far with its weight loss. I've noticed the door panels flex more than the older CX-9. I traded in my daughter's CX-5 in for a VW Tiguan because it was built so flimsy. It was recalled for excessive hood flex and door mirrors that vibrated too much because of the lightweight steel in the door panels. It did not make me feel safe putting my daughter in that car. The plastic bumpers flexed so much the reflectors would fall off of them. (shrug):(

I am not getting from my 2016GT AWD much higher mileage than my previous 2011 GT FWD driving them similarly/

still... I am enjoying it

Right now we are getting consistent 23.5 MPG on our typical highway romps( Signature AWD). We are in a very hilly area so I see that as a great number for winter driving in MA. Winter formulated gas is a 10% hit on all vehicles and when the temp drops below about 45 you take another 5% hit. During the late summer(when we bought it) and early fall we would easily hit the 26 mpg mark and I've gotten 27 mpg on the highway as well. I'd say we are definitely within 1 mpg of the stated mileage.

Running the car with the heated seats on seems to reduce the mileage from 27 mpg to 23 mpg. Anybody else experience this?

I'm getting an average of 23 mpg after 10k in mileage. 2016 CX-9 GT

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

we are now averaging 20-21 mpg in mixed city/highway driving....a bit disappointing since during the summer-autumn it was closer to 22-23 mixed. i think the winter gas formulations and need for heating has hurt the fuel economy for us (which happens every year on every car i've ever driven...not just mazda). but i was hoping as the engine broke in the economy would get better.

Yeah, heated seats are a function of the battery, not the engine.

The electrical system draws power from the alternator which generates energy by creating drag on the engine. According to this Quora poster, it isn't very much.

https://www.quora.com/Do-you-use-fuel-when-using-the-seat-warmers-in-a-BMW
  • A gallon of gas contains ~33 kWh of electricity, meaning it can generate 1kW of power for 33 hours if completely converted.
  • A single seat heater requires 3-5 amps of eletricity at about 14volts. We'll call it 5 amps just to make things easy, or about 70watts.
  • In one hour's time, a single heated seat will use .07kWh of energy.
  • A typical auto engine only manages to capture about 30% of the energy in a gallon of gasoline, so our 33kWh of electrical energy falls to about 10kWh during the combustion process.
  • Furthermore, the alternator (which converts some of the rotational energy from the engine into electricity) is only about 70% efficient (some more, some less). So 10kWh becomes 7kWh.
  • Doing easy math, you need to run one seat heater for ~100 hours to burn one gallon of gasoline.

I test drove a new CX9 last night...a daily loop that I get 21.6 mpg with my 2010GT-AWD. I got 27.4 in the new CX9. Time for an upgrade! I live in the Poconos... This was a mix of stop n go, hill climbing and highway driving a total of 30 miles

For me an average of +6k mi driven (mixture of highway & street) - 23.1 mpg. On mostly pure highway trips I can see 25-26 mpg. Street driving anywhere from 18-21 mpg.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back