Purchase Decision- 2016 or 2014 CX-5 Grand Touring

:
2023 CX5 Turbo
Due to someone turning left in front of us and the result being our 2014 Touring being totaled we're in the market for another car. As we walked away from the impact of 45 mph I'm impressed enough with our CX-5 to get another one. I've narrowed it down to two choices:

The first candidate is a 2016 GT with navigation. One owner and clean Carfax. Asking price is $21,988. The only negative is that the car has 47K miles on it. The second candidate is a 2014 GT with navigation. Also one owner and clean Carfax. Asking price is $19,988 and it only has 21K miles on it.

I'm going to test drive both on this Thursday and that will probably be the deciding factor. Given the information above what is everyone's opinion on the 2016 versus the 2014?

Go for the 2016. I had a '14 GT and moved up to a '16 GT and the ride is like night and day. Much better shock damping in the '16. Also, the fit and finish in the interior is much better as well along with the Safety package. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yes, go for the 2016... so many bug fixes that it's just not worth dealing with the 2014's potential headaches... plus you have plenty of warranty left on the 2016

One owner putting 47k miles in 14 months or less. 200 miles a workday.

who cares... it'll be highway miles and the engine will be well broken in
but, I didn't read the part about 47k... at that point, warranty is gone on bumper to bumper and nearly there for powertrain... but since any issues that would've cropped up has come and gone, I don't think it'll be a big issue

NHTSA safety ratings higher for '14 than '16. IIHS does not show this issue IIRC.

https://www.nhtsa.gov/ratings

There is a thread on here somewhere discussing concern. It deals with protection from the front passenger airbag on the '16

THREAD

Last edited:
One owner putting 47k miles in 14 months or less. 200 miles a workday.
Our 2016 CX-5 is 19+ months old. 2016 CX-5's were available in the US market in February 2015.

I'd pick 2016 CX-5 too between the two. But for $22K I'd try to get a new CX-5 with better financing plan available for new car, and avoid any "unknown" factors. Not to mention you can have full new car warranty.

Go new.....used @$22,000 is not that far from a new one.......15% off of sticker should be doable this late in the year model.

Sam

I'd say look at going new as well. I just picked up a new 2016.5 CX-5 GT for $25,909 and as someone else mentioned you'll probably get better financing rates on new as well.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Thinking about this you are probably at the worst spot in terms of price and time of the year. CX5 does not depreciate much and awesome deals are to be had on new ones - used market is very small and I do not see more than 30 options in DFW, so for Houston you will have similarly low number.
I would re think CX5 itself since you can buy more car for other brand or would get a brand new Sport trim for 21K and trade in comfort for reliable new ride.
Same with a friend who wanted a Subaru - price differences are so low its not worth buying used unless its very old or very high miles.

No, get a 2016.5 new like the other's said.. it's a more sane idea
Why no 2017? It's a "first year car"... you're either going to be extremely lucky without problems, or you'll have a basket case

Back