2016 CX9 Safety Rating - need urgent help

vavatutu

:
CX9 2016 Signature
Hi,

Am a serious buyer for CX9 2016 signature trim and amazed at how well appointed it is! My major deciding factor would be safety and I can appreciate how Mazda has done a great job with their safety features. However, am surprised that there is no NHTSA or IIHS rating yet for the 2016 model. Almost all other manufacturers have their 2017 model itself rated officially. Since this has become the only limiting factor for me now, am seeking inputs from the CX9 owners/followers for their feedback on this. Appreciate any quick help as I need to close on the great deals am getting now.

Thanks!
Nirmal

I can't believe it hasn't been tested in the US a year after introduction. It's gotta be one of the only mainstream vehicles without a rating. Lot's of people won't buy a car without safety ratings. Just another annoying setback for the CX-9. Mazda is doing very little to advance sales for this all important model, and not pushing to get it tested is another example

I can't believe it hasn't been tested in the US a year after introduction. It's gotta be one of the only mainstream vehicles without a rating. Lot's of people won't buy a car without safety ratings. Just another annoying setback for the CX-9. Mazda is doing very little to advance sales for this all important model, and not pushing to get it tested is another example

Agree that it's taking them long to test it and unsure why mazda hasn't supplied IIHS yet for crash testing although the Ancap testing in Australia/NZ should help as it scored 5star and knowing Mazda they've also done their research and would ensure the CX9 is up to standard if not perform well due to their added precollision safety tech such as Smart city brake support etc.

I am a true believer of safety (coming from a Volvo owned SUV) but I pulled the trigger on getting the CX9 yesterday.

Agree that it's taking them long to test it and unsure why mazda hasn't supplied IIHS yet for crash testing although the Ancap testing in Australia/NZ should help as it scored 5star and knowing Mazda they've also done their research and would ensure the CX9 is up to standard if not perform well due to their added precollision safety tech such as Smart city brake support etc.

I am a true believer of safety (coming from a Volvo owned SUV) but I pulled the trigger on getting the CX9 yesterday.
Kedis82ZE8 provided ANCAP crash test report from Australia and New Zealand should be a good indication for crash safety on new CX-9. I actually found the report from ANCAP crash testing provides more details and easier to understand than our NHSTA and IIHS's. The only concern is the test vehicles for ANCAP are all right-hand-drive's and it'd make big difference on frontal collision result than our left-hand-drive vehicles. I believe having left-hand-drive CX-9 available at later time is one of the reasons that new 2016 CX-9 haven't got tested by NHSTA which will have its crash ratings printed on the window sticker.

Kedis82ZE8 provided ANCAP crash test report from Australia and New Zealand should be a good indication for crash safety on new CX-9. I actually found the report from ANCAP crash testing provides more details and easier to understand than our NHSTA and IIHS's. The only concern is the test vehicles for ANCAP are all right-hand-drive's and it'd make big difference on frontal collision result than our left-hand-drive vehicles. I believe having left-hand-drive CX-9 available at later time is one of the reasons that new 2016 CX-9 haven't got tested by NHSTA which will have its crash ratings printed on the window sticker.
Just keep in mind when looking at foreign data that every manufacturer tailors vehicles in each market to pass the tests in that market. While the bulk of the car is the same they definitely do make reinforcements and other modifications in certain countries that won't be on cars in a different market. The small overlap test is a good example of that, a car may preform well on that test here, but may do terrible if you tested one from another market.

Heck, Ford went so far as to provide the reinforcements only on crew cab f150s because that was the most popular body style. IIHS tested the crew cab and an extended cab and couldn't figure out why one did terrible and the other achieved the top score. After talking with Ford they admitted that they only reinforced the one model because that was all that was required to advertise the safety rating since it was the most popular. After getting called out Ford added the reinforcements to the other models the next year.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

Thanks everyone for the replies. So the Way I understand is ANCAP results though are good they don't necessarily apply for US safety since there tests and vehicle tailoring can differ. Given this am I on my own to pull the plug? How did others go about it?

Thanks everyone for the replies. So the Way I understand is ANCAP results though are good they don't necessarily apply for US safety since there tests and vehicle tailoring can differ. Given this am I on my own to pull the plug? How did others go about it?
The main concern to me is the difference between right-hand-drive and left-hand-drive, which may have totally different results from crash tests among ANCAP and our crash tests. And PSUENGR said it correctly, many car manufactures tailor the vehicle for different market and for different crash test. But this actually won't stop me to get a new CX-9 if I really have needs and like the vehicle. All new vehicles are much safer than the older ones and the design of safety has been pretty much standardized by computer aided design. I fully believe new CX-9 would pass NHTSA and IIHS crash tests and I wouldn't worry too much about their ratings. Many people went through the era of metal dash without seat belt and "survived".

One side note, these crash test ratings can be tricky. For example, 2015 CX-5 has top 5-Star NHTSA Frontal Barrier Crash Test ratings on both driver and passenger sides, but for 2016 the passenger side rating downgraded to 3 Stars without any structure changes. Whereas IIHS has rated both model years the Top Safety Pick+.

I wouldn't let the lack of testing deter you at this point if you like the rest of the vehicle. It is a guarantee that the vehicle will pass crash standards since those are minimums. It may not get 5 stars across the board (but probably will) but it certainly won't do terrible. Are you going to pass on it if the rollover score is 4 stars?

My guess is it will end up as a top safety pick and possibly a "+" depending on how the headlights score. A top safety pick is pretty much the benchmark and I'm sure was the design goal for the car.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

I know this thread is a few days old now but I wanted to chime in. I recently traded a Volvo XC60 for the new CX-9 and I am the same as you. I have ALWAYS prioritized crash tests in selecting a vehicle and have passed on vehicles in the past where there wasn't sufficient data to have confidence in the vehicle. I made an exception for myself this time and, while your decision is yours alone to make, I thought I'd offer how I came to accepting the CX-9 without that data.

While Mazda's prior CX-9 was poor on the crash test results it was a style/design that had been aging for some time so Mazda had not put in the work to try to make that platform safer. However, if you look at the trend for Mazda over the past 4-5 years over the rest of their line-up EVERY single car has earned high marks and is at least a Top Safety pick, if not a "+" from IIHS. You can tell from the features and add-ons on all new models and redesigns over the past couple years that safety is a priority these days for Mazda that it may not have been in the past. I felt confident that they have been building a reputation that they will want to uphold now and that they wouldn't let us down on the CX-9. This combined with the ANPAC data others referenced made me feel it was safe enough to pull the trigger on my new CX-9. However, I also felt like I needed to get rid of my Volvo (long story) and that I didn't want to delay that anymore either so I didn't think I could wait.

That said, if I was in no hurry and didn't have the level of confidence that I do have in Mazda as a brand I might have waited until I was more comfortable with it. Also, it should be noted, that I found this thread while trying to see if there was any news on the crash tests. I've owned the car for almost 2 months and I've been regularly checking to see if the crash test results have been published. I don't know if the results were bad if it would force me to get rid of the car - I do like it a lot. But it would certainly give me a little more peace of mind to see that its a solid performer on safety.

Hope this helps! :)

According to Mazda the IIHS crash tests for the 2016/2017 CX9 will likely be completed and results out by June this year...

The Australian safety test results were good enough for me. CX-5 had excellent safety ratings as well. I'm a parent with a toddler and another on the way. I have full confidence that when the tests come out in North America, the cx-9 will be near the top of the list.

Sent from my LG-H831 using Tapatalk

Those test results are good enough for me as well.

The Australian safety test results were good enough for me. CX-5 had excellent safety ratings as well. I'm a parent with a toddler and another on the way. I have full confidence that when the tests come out in North America, the cx-9 will be near the top of the list.

⋯ CX-5 had excellent safety ratings as well.
Can't say that. The passenger side rating from NHTSA Frontal Barrier Crash Test on 2016 CX-5 has downgraded from 5 stars to 3 stars without any structure changes.

NHTSA crash test is an official crash test for vehicles sold in the US and the results are printed on your window sticker. A safe vehicle should score good in every different crash test, not just one or two!
I agree with you, I'm just saying I didn't look at NHTSA when I originally commented.

Back