CX-5 cargo space: items transported

:
2016 CX-5 AWD Touring
I've been amazed by the number of big items that I was able transport with the CX-5, listing some here just in case someone wonders whether an item will fit. Please chime in.

2016 CX5-Touring (rear seats fold nearly flat):
- rolls of carpet and pad removed from 600sqft rooms
- Flat screen TV (Vizio E70-E3) in original box, laying flat
- queen bed frame + a dozen other stuffs from IKEA + two passengers
- Whalen Furniture - 3-in-1 Console/TV stand in original box, laying flat
- four 2"x6"x8' lumbers

For long items that need to sit on the armrest, I always keep a tower in the car to pad the items from scratching the armrest, learned it the hard way. Also pay attention to items that can slide back during acceleration and hit the inside of the tailgate.

I haven't ran into a situation where an item is too long and stick out of the gateway that I'd have to tie the tailgate halfway down. I did look into the gate's latch and tried prying off the small rectangle cover to thread a string through to tie the gate down, that should work when I need to.

Can the front passenger seat fold down almost flat, or easy to remove? There're times when the number of long items cannot be crammed into between two front seats, and sticking them out of the tailgate should be the last option.

I've been amazed by the number of big items that I was able transport with the CX-5, listing some here just in case someone wonders whether an item will fit. Please chime in.

2016 CX5-Touring (rear seats fold nearly flat):
- rolls of carpet and pad removed from 600sqft rooms

Can the front passenger seat fold down almost flat, or easy to remove? There're times when the number of long items cannot be crammed into between two front seats, and sticking them out of the tailgate should be the last option.

I have found the easy way to deal with the front seat is to remove the head rest, slide it forward and then recline it as far as it will go. (And as you suggest, cover it with a towel or rug.

For items that are a bit shorter, move the front seat back as far forward as it will go and then slide the seat forward.

New clothes dryer fit nicely in the back while still in the box. Carried many 8' 2X4s and 6' fence pickets while rebuilding a fence. You can fit a lot in the CX-5!
Bill

jOAdXmm.jpg

Armchair barely fit - I actually scraped the headliner slightly.

Last edited:
1/2 cord of firewood.... ok... just kidding... maybe I'll try at year 10 :)

That should fit though... definitely would want my rear Firestone air bags installed

I routinely transport 4 or 500 pounds of luggage and oddly shaped equipment in it. Works great. Only downside is a tear in the hatch gasket when someone was pulling out some luggage. Haven't had any issues; will just replace before I sell the vehicle.

I have the roof racks and bought a new 10ft ladder tying down with no issues.

Back