P0300 2003 Protege5

Aerobat66

:
2003 Protege5
I just replaced a bunch of parts in my daughters car, and am now getting a P0300 with rough running. That is a multiple cylinder misfire code. I just replaced all 4 spark plugs with NGK 3440 BKR5EP11, and both plug wires and both coil-on-plugs with NGK, and then the misfire began.

For further reference (just in case), I also replaced the air filter, fuel filter, valve cover gasket, PCV valve and grommet. A few weeks ago, I also replaced the EGR valve.

Could it possibly be the double platinum plugs? Or should I look elsewhere to solve the problem? Like the coils themselves?

Last edited:
I had a similar problem a couple weeks ago and it turned out to be a timing belt tensioner and it was completely coincidence that i had the valve cover off the night before. I doubt this would be the issue but you can read this thread if you want https://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123858498-running-BAD-at-about-300rpm-PLEASE-HELP
Also forgot to mention didn't have any engine codes when the engine was running rough. It did have the symptoms of a misfire

If you replaced your coils, try putting your old ones back on and see of the code goes away.

Coils on our cars area real source of aggravation.

Maybe it's the stupid laser platinum plugs (BKR5EP-11) you put in it? Our cars do not need or like that crap. Just use the regular copper plugs (BKR5E-11) or the long reach coppers from the 2000 1.6L (ZFR5F-11) and save yourself some headache.

Regular copper plugs work best for our car except you have to gap them occasionally and they need to be replaced more often.

Back