Your Best Source for Genuine Mazda Parts!
Your Best Source for Genuine Mazda Parts!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 2017 Front End...

Registered Member

2016 CX-5

Quote Originally Posted by 1cx5 View Post
    Heres a side on profile of the front...I don't see anything wrong with it.

agreed, it also looks nice from the front, but seems like a lot of wasted space where there could be some additional aux lighting like bigger foglights to put in yellow lights for foul weather or LED DRL strips like newer cars, those tiny LED foglights towards the bottom lip like the new CX-9 don't do anything to light up the road, they're just for show.....

Last edited by tomcat1446; 12-27-2016 at 11:31 PM.

Mazda SP23

Quote Originally Posted by tomcat1446 View Post
    agreed, it also looks nice from the front, but seems like a lot of wasted space where there could be some additional aux lighting like bigger foglights to put in yellow lights for foul weather or LED DRL strips like newer cars, those tiny LED foglights towards the bottom lip like the new CX-9 don't do anything to light up the road, they're just for show.....

Yes I do agree with you on the white and green arrows and I was thinking maybe the aftermarket will come up with something.

I don't think we are allowed amber lights unless it's a flashing rotating light mounted on the roof to signify a private emergency vehicle...no other colours allowed.[except normal blinkers ,stop and tail]

13' CX-5 and 16' Mazda6 both Touring w/Tech/Bose

Quote Originally Posted by paris1 View Post
    OK; I'll concede that softer materials play a significant role in this, but there's far more to it than that, obviously.
    Very true paris. I didn't know the level of science behind modern car's front end designs as to protect pedestrians. I knew of the external design but the internal structure designs was something new to me.

Quote Originally Posted by tomcat1446 View Post

Yeah that's the thing with LED projectors- they are small. Our CX-5 has the halogen reflectors and I'm considering getting yellow/gold film to give it some contrast for real street functionality. The LED projector on the other hand I've read that owners say its mainly for cosmetics. I wonder how useful they really are?

That said there's an opportunity in the 2017 models. The white arrows in the pic are pointing at the LED projector on the edge of a black plastic strip area. If I were to own a 2017 model I would seriously consider retrofitting a small LED bar on each side where the black plastic strip is. I'd try to get it flush mounted.

Registered Member banjos-n-beer's Avatar

2016 CX5 GT AWD w/ Tech

The LED foglights on the 2016 and up CX5s are far from useless, but its mainly due to the hood, so you have to be in the correct seating position to see their illumination clearly. If you're lounging way back and can't see up and over the hood, yeah, you wouldn't even know they're on. But if you're tall, or don't sit like some gangster then you can see how effectively they light up directly in front of the CX5, particularly the side areas right off the front bumper.

Seeing as the 2017 seems to have an even longer hood, I'm sure the poor illumination affect will be exacerbated.

Registered Member

Mazda CX-5

As opposed to say the Rav4 which is tapered back and looks way more aerodynamic... The new cx-5 grill just looks too flat/over-vertical for me... Of course the irony being the cx-5 does better mileage wise...

Quote Originally Posted by myke232 View Post
    As opposed to say the Rav4 which is tapered back and looks way more aerodynamic... The new cx-5 grill just looks too flat/over-vertical for me... Of course the irony being the cx-5 does better mileage wise...

I think the flat look looks better and the CX-5 had historically been the most aerodynamic vehicle of its class. Actually better than most cars even. Never been a fan of Acura's pointy nose either.

2014 Mazda CX-5 Touring

If you take a picture just a few degrees down, you would notice a gap(space) between the hood and grill, which looks weird. It looks better then the CX9 for sure, but I don't understand, why they make them so vertical, or in the CX9's case, pointing forward? If this angle would be a bit pointing backward, it would be perfect.
    It's like the Hyundai Genesis coupe. It looks awesome, but the rear side window's bottom line, kills the look.

Registered Member

Mazda CX-5

Quote Originally Posted by tibimakai View Post
    If you take a picture just a few degrees down, you would notice a gap(space) between the hood and grill, which looks weird. It looks better then the CX9 for sure, but I don't understand, why they make them so vertical, or in the CX9's case, pointing forward? If this angle would be a bit pointing backward, it would be perfect.
    I agree, that's what I'm saying... I like the look, but it should angle back at least a few degrees, instead of angling forward a few degrees...

Mazda CX-5; BMW M4

BMW looks to be going in this direction as well.

-2014 CX-5 Sport, black (RIP Apr '15)
    -2016 CX-5 Touring, Soul Red, Bose/Tech, PDC
    -2015 BMW M4 DCT, Driver Assistance Plus, Executive Package, Lighting Package, Harman Kardon

Quote Originally Posted by boandlkramer View Post
    BMW looks to be going in this direction as well.

For me one of the 1st cars I've seen implement the front end was the Evo 10.

I see the new Mustang uses this style as well.

2014 Mazda CX-5 Touring

Like old BMWs.

Registered Member banjos-n-beer's Avatar

2016 CX5 GT AWD w/ Tech

Quote Originally Posted by tibimakai View Post
    Like old BMWs.
    yup... 1970 here...

2014 Mazda CX-5 Touring

What is next, mini skirts?

Mazda CX-5; BMW M4

No, bell bottoms

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

Registered Member
    Donated: $5

2014 CX-5 GT FWD

These flat nose designs also satisfy recent Euro pedestrian safety requirements. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pedest...vehicle_design

They spread the impact out to multiple points which reduces leg injuries. There is also a need for the hood to be raised above the engine to reduce head injuries - this presents common stylistic paths.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast