Your Best Source for Genuine Mazda Parts!
Your Best Source for Genuine Mazda Parts!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2017 Front End...

Registered Member

Mazda CX-5

2017 Front End...

I really like the overall look of the 2017, however just not the front end... I wish it tapered back rather than overhanging forward... Tapering back would be better not just aesthetically but aerodynamically as well...

I don't think it would stop me from getting one though, as long as the manual tranny comes with some decent features...

US Specs in Europe boandlkramer's Avatar

'17 CX-5 GT AWD; BMW M4

Pretty sure the shape of the front end is influenced by European pedestrian requirements of vehicles

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    -1989 BMW 528i (euro specs) Green
    -1996 Mazda 626 Red
    -1997 Honda Civic DX Blue
    -1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee White
    -1997 Chrysler Sebring 'vert Champaigne
    -2002 Dodge Neon Silver
    -2004 Land Rover Freelander HSE Silver
    -2008 Toyota Camry Champaigne
    -2009 BMW 328i Space Gray
    -2014 CX-5 Sport, Black (RIP Apr '15)
    *2015 BMW ///M4 Austin Yellow
    -2016 CX-5 Touring, Soul Red, Bose/Tech, PDC (Sold)
    *2017 CX-5 GT Soul Red Premium (Bought and on a boat to Germany)

Registered Member

2013 CX-5 Touring FWD; 2013 BMW Z4 35i

Quote Originally Posted by boandlkramer View Post
    Pretty sure the shape of the front end is influenced by European pedestrian requirements of vehicles
    Correctamundo.

Registered Member

2014 Mazda CX-5 Touring AWD

Quote Originally Posted by myke232 View Post
    I really like the overall look of the 2017, however just not the front end... I wish it tapered back rather than overhanging forward... Tapering back would be better not just aesthetically but aerodynamically as well...

I don't think it would stop me from getting one though, as long as the manual tranny comes with some decent features...
    Why do you think it is better aerodynamically? It is probably a tad better aerodynamically, mostly from the lowering of the vehicle by a little. In general, a more pointy schnoz is better.

BTW, I too prefer the old look by a little, it is just a little less nice.

13' CX-5 and 16' Mazda6 both Touring w/Tech/Bose

Have not seen one in person...Perhaps it would look better with a lip kit for the bumper.

CX-5 2015 Diesel 2.2 sportsline black all incl.

The hood looks a bit like the one the Atenza/6er got allready. With this little lip in front of the hood looks a bit like the bugshield some people use to me. It will definitely decrease the flattering of the hood on the highway with 110-120mph where some CX-5 have a issue.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    "Airwolf101" black 2015 2.2D 175 AWD - up 210/505 NM all incl. FL mirrors, totally dark windows at back, brake caliper yellow, Climair at front windows, Taiwan hood lifter, day drive light, trunk light LED's xxl, mirror modul, footwell lighting w remote, Wiechers sport dome strut bar, HG Motorsport 114mm BullX exhaust, 20'Tires spacers 15mm, C&S OBD modification, deadbutton for all electronic, 2Can bus modul for DPF reg. AWD-traction. oil-temp. & batterie charge, evil eyes, follow me home light, Napoli close ..........next: whidening the wheel's (not Topline) + spacers 25mm front 30mm back - DOPE

Registered Member

Mazda CX-5

Quote Originally Posted by boandlkramer View Post
    What does that mean exactly?

Quote Originally Posted by ALafya View Post
    Why do you think it is better aerodynamically? It is probably a tad better aerodynamically, mostly from the lowering of the vehicle by a little. In general, a more pointy schnoz is better.
    Because wind resistance would be lessened. I don't mean the bottom of the front end, I mean the angle of the grill is leaning forward. Like if you ran while holding a piece of plywood in front of you... if you tilt it back a bit there would be less resistance than if you tilted it forward... weird example I know...

Registrierte Benutzer Chris_Top_Her's Avatar
    Donated: $40
    CX-5 Moderator

'15 CX-5 Miata GT AWD w/Tech 2.5L

Because wind resistance would be lessened. I don't mean the bottom of the front end, I mean the angle of the grill is leaning forward. Like if you ran while holding a piece of plywood in front of you... if you tilt it back a bit there would be less resistance than if you tilted it forward... weird example I know...
    Nope, just like roadbike racers

Aside from the shape, the section between the hood and the grille is plastic and not metal. So the entire front end (headlights, bumper, grille, that section above the grille) are all plastic now. The bumper flexes a bit to absorb some of the energy away from pedestrians. The said plastic section between grille and hood flexes just a tiny bit too.

Registered Member

Mazda CX-5

Quote Originally Posted by CX-5um View Post
    Aside from the shape, the section between the hood and the grille is plastic and not metal. So the entire front end (headlights, bumper, grille, that section above the grille) are all plastic now. The bumper flexes a bit to absorb some of the energy away from pedestrians. The said plastic section between grille and hood flexes just a tiny bit too.
    Ah, ok, I see what you are saying...

Registered Member

Here's a link to a Car&Driver article from 2012 that detailes all the ways European and Asian pedestrian-protection requirements affect modern car designs: http://www.caranddriver.com/features...fatter-feature
    Has little or nothing to do with plastic front ends.

Quote Originally Posted by paris1 View Post
    Here's a link to a Car&Driver article from 2012 that detailes all the ways European and Asian pedestrian-protection requirements affect modern car designs: http://www.caranddriver.com/features...fatter-feature
    Has little or nothing to do with plastic front ends.
    It seems to me that plastics have an integral part in designing modern cars meant for pedestrian safety. I knowfor the most part its a softer material that absorbs more energy than metal which transfers energy to people's bodies. Here's some interesting reading.

"One approach to the problem of pedestrian deaths and injuries is to modify the fronts of vehicles to make them "softer" if they contact a pedestrian. The idea stems from research dating to the 1970s, but its real-world application has taken hold only recently.

Crushable hoods and fenders cushion heads, and padding in bumper systems can mitigate leg injuries. Using plastic hood mounts and headlights that break away on impact also are intended to reduce chances that pedestrians will be injured"

http://www.iihs.org/iihs/sr/statusre...rticle/48/10/3

Designers have engineered more space between the hood and the engine, allowing more give in case of a collision. From a design perspective, the higher hood, especially closer toward the windshield, gives vehicles a distinctive look. About 10 years ago, Volvo created a 3-inch gap between the hood and the top of the engine. (Another feature that is worked into pedestrian safety is an engine's plastic cover, which also gives in a pedestrian accident.)

Other less noticeable design elements include the removal of hood ornaments, which could snag or cut pedestrians; side mirrors that fold in toward the door, and even door handles that are more flush with the car's sheet metal.

http://www.autoblog.com/2013/12/06/t...safety-design/

"Renault is redesigning its front bumpers, which already are made out of plastic, to incorporate energy absorbers in all 2007 models, said Jerome Lestavel, a Renault engineer in charge of pedestrian safety issues. Renault may use plastic, rather than aluminum or steel, to reinforce car hoods, he said.

Ford Motor Co. also may use more plastic because of pedestrian safety issues. The company may replace steel fenders of some vehicles with plastic fenders, said Lebzy Gonzalez, a technical expert in Ford's materials research and advanced engineering department."

http://www.autonews.com/article/2006...astic-in-autos

"Europe's requirements aim to ease the blow to a pedestrian's body in two areas: the head and leg.

To comply, designers have sought more pliable hoods that can deform to absorb impact in case a pedestrian is thrown onto the hood. They also have moved hoods higher to create space over the hard points underneath, such as the engine.

On front-end bumpers, designers have lowered them, and have used softer materials, such as foams and crushable plastics to reduce the severity of impact on legs."

http://www.autonews.com/article/2012...ars-due-in-u.s.
    Last edited by CX-5um; 12-27-2016 at 04:27 PM.

Mazda SP23

Heres a side on profile of the front...I don't see anything wrong with it.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by 1cx5 View Post
    Heres a side on profile of the front...I don't see anything wrong with it
    I would add that it's proportions are much better than the original. But then they began by widening the front body panels a bit, which helped in the redesign.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by CX-5um View Post
    It seems to me that plastics have an integral part in designing modern cars meant for pedestrian safety. I knowfor the most part its a softer material that absorbs more energy than metal which transfers energy to people's bodies. Here's some interesting reading.

"One approach to the problem of pedestrian deaths and injuries is to modify the fronts of vehicles to make them "softer" if they contact a pedestrian. The idea stems from research dating to the 1970s, but its real-world application has taken hold only recently.

Crushable hoods and fenders cushion heads, and padding in bumper systems can mitigate leg injuries. Using plastic hood mounts and headlights that break away on impact also are intended to reduce chances that pedestrians will be injured"

http://www.iihs.org/iihs/sr/statusre...rticle/48/10/3

Designers have engineered more space between the hood and the engine, allowing more give in case of a collision. From a design perspective, the higher hood, especially closer toward the windshield, gives vehicles a distinctive look. About 10 years ago, Volvo created a 3-inch gap between the hood and the top of the engine. (Another feature that is worked into pedestrian safety is an engine's plastic cover, which also gives in a pedestrian accident.)

Other less noticeable design elements include the removal of hood ornaments, which could snag or cut pedestrians; side mirrors that fold in toward the door, and even door handles that are more flush with the car's sheet metal.

http://www.autoblog.com/2013/12/06/t...safety-design/

"Renault is redesigning its front bumpers, which already are made out of plastic, to incorporate energy absorbers in all 2007 models, said Jerome Lestavel, a Renault engineer in charge of pedestrian safety issues. Renault may use plastic, rather than aluminum or steel, to reinforce car hoods, he said.

Ford Motor Co. also may use more plastic because of pedestrian safety issues. The company may replace steel fenders of some vehicles with plastic fenders, said Lebzy Gonzalez, a technical expert in Ford's materials research and advanced engineering department."

http://www.autonews.com/article/2006...astic-in-autos

"Europe's requirements aim to ease the blow to a pedestrian's body in two areas: the head and leg.

To comply, designers have sought more pliable hoods that can deform to absorb impact in case a pedestrian is thrown onto the hood. They also have moved hoods higher to create space over the hard points underneath, such as the engine.

On front-end bumpers, designers have lowered them, and have used softer materials, such as foams and crushable plastics to reduce the severity of impact on legs."

http://www.autonews.com/article/2012...ars-due-in-u.s.
    OK; I'll concede that softer materials play a significant role in this, but there's far more to it than that, obviously.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast