2017 Front End...

myke232

:
Mazda CX-5
I really like the overall look of the 2017, however just not the front end... I wish it tapered back rather than overhanging forward... Tapering back would be better not just aesthetically but aerodynamically as well...

I don't think it would stop me from getting one though, as long as the manual tranny comes with some decent features...

Pretty sure the shape of the front end is influenced by European pedestrian requirements of vehicles

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I really like the overall look of the 2017, however just not the front end... I wish it tapered back rather than overhanging forward... Tapering back would be better not just aesthetically but aerodynamically as well...

I don't think it would stop me from getting one though, as long as the manual tranny comes with some decent features...

Why do you think it is better aerodynamically? It is probably a tad better aerodynamically, mostly from the lowering of the vehicle by a little. In general, a more pointy schnoz is better.

BTW, I too prefer the old look by a little, it is just a little less nice.

Have not seen one in person...Perhaps it would look better with a lip kit for the bumper.

The hood looks a bit like the one the Atenza/6er got allready. With this little lip in front of the hood looks a bit like the bugshield some people use to me. It will definitely decrease the flattering of the hood on the highway with 110-120mph where some CX-5 have a issue.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Pretty sure the shape of the front end is influenced by European pedestrian requirements of vehicles
What does that mean exactly?

Why do you think it is better aerodynamically? It is probably a tad better aerodynamically, mostly from the lowering of the vehicle by a little. In general, a more pointy schnoz is better.
Because wind resistance would be lessened. I don't mean the bottom of the front end, I mean the angle of the grill is leaning forward. Like if you ran while holding a piece of plywood in front of you... if you tilt it back a bit there would be less resistance than if you tilted it forward... weird example I know...

Because wind resistance would be lessened. I don't mean the bottom of the front end, I mean the angle of the grill is leaning forward. Like if you ran while holding a piece of plywood in front of you... if you tilt it back a bit there would be less resistance than if you tilted it forward... weird example I know...

Nope, just like roadbike racers

Aside from the shape, the section between the hood and the grille is plastic and not metal. So the entire front end (headlights, bumper, grille, that section above the grille) are all plastic now. The bumper flexes a bit to absorb some of the energy away from pedestrians. The said plastic section between grille and hood flexes just a tiny bit too.

Aside from the shape, the section between the hood and the grille is plastic and not metal. So the entire front end (headlights, bumper, grille, that section above the grille) are all plastic now. The bumper flexes a bit to absorb some of the energy away from pedestrians. The said plastic section between grille and hood flexes just a tiny bit too.
Ah, ok, I see what you are saying...

Here's a link to a Car&Driver article from 2012 that detailes all the ways European and Asian pedestrian-protection requirements affect modern car designs: http://www.caranddriver.com/feature...rian-protection-regs-make-cars-fatter-feature
Has little or nothing to do with plastic front ends.

It seems to me that plastics have an integral part in designing modern cars meant for pedestrian safety. I knowfor the most part its a softer material that absorbs more energy than metal which transfers energy to people's bodies. Here's some interesting reading.

"One approach to the problem of pedestrian deaths and injuries is to modify the fronts of vehicles to make them "softer" if they contact a pedestrian. The idea stems from research dating to the 1970s, but its real-world application has taken hold only recently.

Crushable hoods and fenders cushion heads, and padding in bumper systems can mitigate leg injuries. Using plastic hood mounts and headlights that break away on impact also are intended to reduce chances that pedestrians will be injured"

http://www.iihs.org/iihs/sr/statusreport/article/48/10/3

Designers have engineered more space between the hood and the engine, allowing more give in case of a collision. From a design perspective, the higher hood, especially closer toward the windshield, gives vehicles a distinctive look. About 10 years ago, Volvo created a 3-inch gap between the hood and the top of the engine. (Another feature that is worked into pedestrian safety is an engine's plastic cover, which also gives in a pedestrian accident.)

Other less noticeable design elements include the removal of hood ornaments, which could snag or cut pedestrians; side mirrors that fold in toward the door, and even door handles that are more flush with the car's sheet metal.

http://www.autoblog.com/2013/12/06/techsplanations-pedestrian-safety-design/

"Renault is redesigning its front bumpers, which already are made out of plastic, to incorporate energy absorbers in all 2007 models, said Jerome Lestavel, a Renault engineer in charge of pedestrian safety issues. Renault may use plastic, rather than aluminum or steel, to reinforce car hoods, he said.

Ford Motor Co. also may use more plastic because of pedestrian safety issues. The company may replace steel fenders of some vehicles with plastic fenders, said Lebzy Gonzalez, a technical expert in Ford's materials research and advanced engineering department."

http://www.autonews.com/article/20060227/SUB/60223083/pedestrian-rules-put-more-plastic-in-autos

"Europe's requirements aim to ease the blow to a pedestrian's body in two areas: the head and leg.

To comply, designers have sought more pliable hoods that can deform to absorb impact in case a pedestrian is thrown onto the hood. They also have moved hoods higher to create space over the hard points underneath, such as the engine.

On front-end bumpers, designers have lowered them, and have used softer materials, such as foams and crushable plastics to reduce the severity of impact on legs."

http://www.autonews.com/article/20120423/OEM03/304239967/european-safety-styled-cars-due-in-u.s.

Last edited:
Heres a side on profile of the front...I don't see anything wrong with it.

xm38sm.jpg

Heres a side on profile of the front...I don't see anything wrong with it

I would add that it's proportions are much better than the original. But then they began by widening the front body panels a bit, which helped in the redesign.

It seems to me that plastics have an integral part in designing modern cars meant for pedestrian safety. I knowfor the most part its a softer material that absorbs more energy than metal which transfers energy to people's bodies. Here's some interesting reading.

"One approach to the problem of pedestrian deaths and injuries is to modify the fronts of vehicles to make them "softer" if they contact a pedestrian. The idea stems from research dating to the 1970s, but its real-world application has taken hold only recently.

Crushable hoods and fenders cushion heads, and padding in bumper systems can mitigate leg injuries. Using plastic hood mounts and headlights that break away on impact also are intended to reduce chances that pedestrians will be injured"

http://www.iihs.org/iihs/sr/statusreport/article/48/10/3

Designers have engineered more space between the hood and the engine, allowing more give in case of a collision. From a design perspective, the higher hood, especially closer toward the windshield, gives vehicles a distinctive look. About 10 years ago, Volvo created a 3-inch gap between the hood and the top of the engine. (Another feature that is worked into pedestrian safety is an engine's plastic cover, which also gives in a pedestrian accident.)

Other less noticeable design elements include the removal of hood ornaments, which could snag or cut pedestrians; side mirrors that fold in toward the door, and even door handles that are more flush with the car's sheet metal.

http://www.autoblog.com/2013/12/06/techsplanations-pedestrian-safety-design/

"Renault is redesigning its front bumpers, which already are made out of plastic, to incorporate energy absorbers in all 2007 models, said Jerome Lestavel, a Renault engineer in charge of pedestrian safety issues. Renault may use plastic, rather than aluminum or steel, to reinforce car hoods, he said.

Ford Motor Co. also may use more plastic because of pedestrian safety issues. The company may replace steel fenders of some vehicles with plastic fenders, said Lebzy Gonzalez, a technical expert in Ford's materials research and advanced engineering department."

http://www.autonews.com/article/20060227/SUB/60223083/pedestrian-rules-put-more-plastic-in-autos

"Europe's requirements aim to ease the blow to a pedestrian's body in two areas: the head and leg.

To comply, designers have sought more pliable hoods that can deform to absorb impact in case a pedestrian is thrown onto the hood. They also have moved hoods higher to create space over the hard points underneath, such as the engine.

On front-end bumpers, designers have lowered them, and have used softer materials, such as foams and crushable plastics to reduce the severity of impact on legs."

http://www.autonews.com/article/20120423/OEM03/304239967/european-safety-styled-cars-due-in-u.s.
OK; I'll concede that softer materials play a significant role in this, but there's far more to it than that, obviously.

xm38sm.jpg

agreed, it also looks nice from the front, but seems like a lot of wasted space where there could be some additional aux lighting like bigger foglights to put in yellow lights for foul weather or LED DRL strips like newer cars, those tiny LED foglights towards the bottom lip like the new CX-9 don't do anything to light up the road, they're just for show.....

attachment.php

Last edited:
agreed, it also looks nice from the front, but seems like a lot of wasted space where there could be some additional aux lighting like bigger foglights to put in yellow lights for foul weather or LED DRL strips like newer cars, those tiny LED foglights towards the bottom lip like the new CX-9 don't do anything to light up the road, they're just for show.....

attachment.php

Yes I do agree with you on the white and green arrows and I was thinking maybe the aftermarket will come up with something.

I don't think we are allowed amber lights unless it's a flashing rotating light mounted on the roof to signify a private emergency vehicle...no other colours allowed.[except normal blinkers ,stop and tail]

OK; I'll concede that softer materials play a significant role in this, but there's far more to it than that, obviously.

Very true paris. I didn't know the level of science behind modern car's front end designs as to protect pedestrians. I knew of the external design but the internal structure designs was something new to me.

attachment.php

Yeah that's the thing with LED projectors- they are small. Our CX-5 has the halogen reflectors and I'm considering getting yellow/gold film to give it some contrast for real street functionality. The LED projector on the other hand I've read that owners say its mainly for cosmetics. I wonder how useful they really are?

That said there's an opportunity in the 2017 models. The white arrows in the pic are pointing at the LED projector on the edge of a black plastic strip area. If I were to own a 2017 model I would seriously consider retrofitting a small LED bar on each side where the black plastic strip is. I'd try to get it flush mounted.

The LED foglights on the 2016 and up CX5s are far from useless, but its mainly due to the hood, so you have to be in the correct seating position to see their illumination clearly. If you're lounging way back and can't see up and over the hood, yeah, you wouldn't even know they're on. But if you're tall, or don't sit like some gangster then you can see how effectively they light up directly in front of the CX5, particularly the side areas right off the front bumper.

Seeing as the 2017 seems to have an even longer hood, I'm sure the poor illumination affect will be exacerbated.

xm38sm.jpg

As opposed to say the Rav4 which is tapered back and looks way more aerodynamic... The new cx-5 grill just looks too flat/over-vertical for me... Of course the irony being the cx-5 does better mileage wise...

2015-Toyota-RAV4-SUV-photo-01-800.jpg

Back