Issues with Pandora and iPhone 6s Plus and IOS vs Android Phones

mikefly562

:
2016.5 Mazda CX-5 Grand Touring
I've been having connectivity issues with Pandora (using my iPhone 6s Plus and iOS 10.2) on my new 2016.5 CX-5 GT and Mazda Connect. It often takes a few times to connect, and once connected, I cannot select another station within Pandora. Also, I get connectivity losses almost everytime after 10-20 minutes of use, and that the only way to recover is to put the phone in airplane mode on and off again, then it will reconnect. I'm constantly having to grant the phone permission to connect with Mazda Connect (Pandora) as well. In addition, if I'm using Pandora, then switch audio sources to XM or AM, or FM, etc, then I can't reconnect to Pandora 80% of the time.

I recently used my older android phone (Galaxy Note Edge), and the Mazda Connect system, including Pandora, worked flawless...it was absolutely perfect. Pandora was fast, I was able to select stations within Pandora, and selected different audio sources, and then back to Pandora with no issues. I had no drop outs either...none what so ever. The entire Mazda Connect system worked perfectly.

Whats interesting is that I also have similar problems with my Prius and Toyota's Entune app...it's very unreliable with my iPhone but works perfect on my android phone.

Has anyone else seen this between iOS vs android? I've checked all the permissions and security features on the iPhone, but nothing stands out as why bluetooth/connectivity is so unreliable with my CX-5 and Prius when using the iPhone, yet android works fine on both cars. I'm running version 55.00.753 NA N on my Mazda Connect system.

Same issue here. But only with Pandora. All other bt apps, AHA, Stitcher work perfectly.

Just Upgraded to 59.00.441. Funny thing, each time I upgrade it fixes one problem and creates a new one. Before the upgrade it would drop the connection each time the song changed, now I cannot change Pandora channels, well, sometimes I can , usually not. Weird.. Iphone 6S IOS 10.2

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I'm having the same problem with not being able to change Pandora stations reliably within the Pandora app. If I access the Pandora app through my Apple Watch I can change the channel there without difficulty. But driving down the road while staring at the tiny screen on my watch is not really an acceptable alternative. I'm using an iPhone 6 with iOS 10.2.

Same problem here. Started after upgrading to iOS 10 (on an iPhone 6). Contacted Pandora about this new problem. They respond to me and say they are working on the issues with Mazda, but no estimated time frame.

Here is the email address for Pandora support if you wish to add your 2 cents:
pandora-support@pandora.com

p.s. Unfortunately, I can not downgrade to iOS9 because I did not back up to my laptop before upgrading and iOS 9 is not 'signed' by Apple anymore.

Hmmm, starting to suspect its something to do with Pandoras new off line feature. This morning I could switch between online stations with no problem, could not select any offline station

My problems with the iPhone and Pandora have been ongoing as well. I did an extended road trip using my backup android phone, and again today, it worked flawlessly the entire time. I wonder if its actually on Apples end rather than Pandora's end. The same type of unreliability and connectivity issues occurs in my Prius when using the iPhone, but the android phone works perfect in that car as well.

2016.5 GT tech pkg here.. iPhone 6 iOS 10.2. Infotainment system last updated mid Sept. 2016.

Pandora will take a few time to connect, All of this is from the commander dial in the center just behind the transmission selector; when it does connect after a few tries, I can change stations skip songs etc. no troubles. HOWEVER, it drops the connection about every 10 min.. it will do this both via the Mazda pandora app via Bluetooth or via direct connect via the white iPhone charge cable... I do have to have the iPhone app open or opened in the background on the phone too..

Is there any update on this? I have a 2016.5 CX-5 and a Samsung Galaxy S7. My Pandora only works maybe 25% of the time. The rest of the time it either will stay on the Pandora screen with the loading wheel turning or just drop out claiming I dont have a connection (even though the app on my phone is running just fine). Ive thought about taking it to my dealer but I know they will just say its an issue with my phone. This is just incredibly infuriating and Mazda really needs to take care of this ASAP.

I just bought a new ZTE Axon 7 and updated it to android Nougat 7.0, and the phone is working well with both my CX-5 and Prius. On the CX-5, I can now play Pandora with no dropouts, then switch to aha, FM, AM, XM, and back to Pandora again with no problems. With the iphone, I would get drop outs after 5 minutes and would not be able to reconnect unless I rebooted the phone. I also could not switch audio sources and then go back to Pandora, but with my new phone, the system is working really well and I have version 55 for my Mazda connect. On my Prius, the Entune suite is working well again too. There must be some security features or compatitbility issues with the iPhone that is causing it to not work well in both my cars. When I bought my phone, the salesman at Best Buy was telling me that a lot of customers with iPhones have issues with connecting to their car's infotainment systems, especilly Pandora, and that android phones seem to work better.

Had issues with Pandora for the first 14 months I owned my 2016 CX-5. Dropping connections, unable to change stations, unable to connect. Then dealer upgraded my OS to 59.00.441 which helped the issue. Then I upgraded my Iphone 6S to IOS 10.2 and upgraded Pandora to latest revision. Pandora is now working PERFECTLY in my CX-5. Not sure what fixed the issue but it is fixed in my car.

I'm on an LG V20 that was running Android 7.0 and my Infotainment is on v59 - Lots of BT headache with Pandora and phone. The phone wouldn't always auto connect until I rebooted the phone and Pandora dropped often. Also, when I connected to stream music (other than Pandora), I could not see artist info nor could I control playback from the wheel. Sound came out of the speakers but control was via phone only.

Now, I've rooted and updated to Android 7.1 (Resurrection ReMix ROM). Pandora and BT streaming works very well again.

I bet we are seeing issues with new OS's and out of date infotainment software. Our system needs way more frequent updates IMO.

On that note than, what is the current version on the Mazda infotainment system?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

On that note than, what is the current version on the Mazda infotainment system?

I believe 59.00.411. When dealer installed that version that cured the dropping signal problem but created a new one where I could not change Pandora stations. A later release of the Pandora app cured that issue and as I said , pretty much working flawlessly now with my IPhone 6S.

How did you get it installed from the dealer? Did you have to make an appointment or just walk up and ask to have it installed?

Just had them do it along with my normal oil change/tyre rotation. Took about twenty minutes

I'm on an LG V20 that was running Android 7.0 and my Infotainment is on v59 - Lots of BT headache with Pandora and phone. The phone wouldn't always auto connect until I rebooted the phone and Pandora dropped often. Also, when I connected to stream music (other than Pandora), I could not see artist info nor could I control playback from the wheel. Sound came out of the speakers but control was via phone only.

Now, I've rooted and updated to Android 7.1 (Resurrection ReMix ROM). Pandora and BT streaming works very well again.

I bet we are seeing issues with new OS's and out of date infotainment software. Our system needs way more frequent updates IMO.

Just reporting back that all Android ROMs 7.x through 7.1.1 are having serious BT problems for me. The worst is the telephone functionality. It might be my phone, but I think it is our infotainment firmware not playing with new phone OS's. So frustrating.
Due to how our entire system integrates with the head unit, I'd hate to have to replace it but I am giving it serious consideration.

Just reporting back that all Android ROMs 7.x through 7.1.1 are having serious BT problems for me. The worst is the telephone functionality. It might be my phone, but I think it is our infotainment firmware not playing with new phone OS's. So frustrating.
Due to how our entire system integrates with the head unit, I'd hate to have to replace it but I am giving it serious consideration.

When it comes to debugging and finding where problems lie, one looks to where changes have occurred. The head unit is the same, and works with the vast majority of hardware. The phone firmware is new and different. So where does the issue lie? Very likely the phone firmware.

Your best bet is to pursue android developers. Googling android 7.x bluetooth issues returns many hits.

Last edited:

The bluetooth dropout issues were fixed with 59.00.441A
You will not know if you have it or not because the "about"/"information" screen doesn't really say... I have this version and it just says 59.00.441

Latest posts

Back