Goal of 225 WHP for the car, waiting on a forged motor. Tips?

zmcmoy

:
2003.5 Mazdaspeed Protege
I've got an MSP and I'm waiting on a forged motor with a stage 1 ported head from Speed Circuit. I've got a goal for the horsepower to be around 225 once it's all finished and ran on the dyno. I'm thinking I'll need a FMIC, hard pipes, maybe a wider exhaust? What are some things I need to meet this goal, is it unreasonable? I've already invested about $4,500 in the motor alone, so the transmission is the main limiter right now I'd imagine.

I've got an MSP and I'm waiting on a forged motor with a stage 1 ported head from Speed Circuit. I've got a goal for the horsepower to be around 225 once it's all finished and ran on the dyno. I'm thinking I'll need a FMIC, hard pipes, maybe a wider exhaust? What are some things I need to meet this goal, is it unreasonable? I've already invested about $4,500 in the motor alone, so the transmission is the main limiter right now I'd imagine.
Are you on the facebook group it's a little easier to ask questions now a days there.
As far as making your goal that's easy.
You will need a bigger Turbo, a disco potato will do the job. 3" down pipe and exhaust 440cc injectors. A front mount intercooler or a Popeperformance.com side mount intercooler.
You also need a tune. A split Second piggy back is the go-to but the unichip can do a lot more probably unnecessary for you, but I would still look at it and make an educated choice. As far as everything you need to make 250 plus horsepower you can get from Pope performance.com

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

I'm on the Mazda Protege Parts group, what's the main group? Does the bigger turbo cause more lag & do I need a piggy back if I'm just gonna end up taking it to a dyno? Or do they need the piggy back to tune it? I'm new to tuning, sorry!

I'm on the Mazda Protege Parts group, what's the main group? Does the bigger turbo cause more lag & do I need a piggy back if I'm just gonna end up taking it to a dyno? Or do they need the piggy back to tune it? I'm new to tuning, sorry!
Look for "Mazda Speed protege enthusiast" MSPE for short on facebook. The bigger Turbo moves the boost hit higher in the rpms but not much. Turbo lag comes in from long intercooler piping. Popepreformace has the shortest intercooler piping so no lag.

Bigger turbo forces more air into the mix, the bigger injectors add enough fuel to burn all that extra air. The exhaust has a larger diameter pipe to allow for the extra exhaust to get out, so the car can gulp more air, etc.
The computer makes sense of it all and helps to keep your Mazda from going Zoom Zoom Boom. You need it (and other things) if you want to safely turn up the boost.

Okay, I joined the group on FB! What are some good brand FMICs? And I'm guessing there's more piping, therefore more lag? Would it be more prudent to just get the sidemount you were talking about?

It all depends on what you want to speed. The guys that go front mount to get with the eBay kit for the protege.

I couldn't find the side mount on Pope's website, did they stop making it? As for the injectors, do they fit on the stock fuel rail?

I couldn't find the side mount on Pope's website, did they stop making it? As for the injectors, do they fit on the stock fuel rail?
The injectors he sells are the oem type. Plug and play. Just message him about the intercooler I know he has the cores on hand.

Pope put the side mounts on hold due to supply chain issues he said he'll have them back in stock once he gets that sorted out

You can easily hit 250whp on the stock turbo and manifold. 225 is nothing, a piggyback and ~12psi would do it pretty easily. Downpipe and exhaust will help obviously, solid motor mounts are recommended, as is an SRI. SSAFC is the cheapest and easiest piggyback to install and tune.

Be careful on the FB groups, lots of misinformation and people giving advice that don't have a clue what they are talking about.

You can easily hit 250whp on the stock turbo and manifold. 225 is nothing, a piggyback and ~12psi would do it pretty easily. Downpipe and exhaust will help obviously, solid motor mounts are recommended, as is an SRI. SSAFC is the cheapest and easiest piggyback to install and tune.

Be careful on the FB groups, lots of misinformation and people giving advice that don't have a clue what they are talking about.
You should be careful in any of the groups. But MSPE on face book is where all the big house power guys are.
Tom Pope, Brian lawlor, Brian smith and so on.

You should be careful in any of the groups. But MSPE on face book is where all the big house power guys are.
Tom Pope, Brian lawlor, Brian smith and so on.

I wouldn't call any of those guys "big [horse] power" considering Brian hasn't owned his Protege in several years, Brian Smith's has yet to run and Tom was making 370whp..

That's what I was going to say- 225whp is fairly easily achieved with bolt-on's.

And there is misinformation everywhere, including here. ;)

Are you on the facebook group it's a little easier to ask questions now a days there.
As far as making your goal that's easy.
You will need a bigger Turbo, a disco potato will do the job. 3" down pipe and exhaust 440cc injectors. A front mount intercooler or a Popeperformance.com side mount intercooler.
You also need a tune. A split Second piggy back is the go-to but the unichip can do a lot more probably unnecessary for you, but I would still look at it and make an educated choice. As far as everything you need to make 250 plus horsepower you can get from Pope performance.com

negative on the bigger turbo ghost rider. I did something in-between 210-121525 whp at 10lbs of boost without any additional tuning. It's been years so I don't recall the exact number but im sure with some sort of tuning I could of been at the 225 whp realistically with stock turbo and stock fuel system.

Really, just need to tune with 12psi? Do I need colder plugs at that point? I've seen you post a lot on this forum, what would you say a good reliable horsepower figure would be with a Wiseco piston & K1 rod setup would be? I think I remember someone say they went through two transmissions at 275 whp.

Also, where can I find an SSAFC?

I'm so excited to get this done, guys, Dino is just taking a while on this engine! I had this car two weeks before the engine blew, but those two weeks were fun as ****. I'm coming from a Saturn Ion and a Ninja 300, so this is my first turbocharged car. I love it so far.

I killed two (other than the first LSD failure) with the GT25. LOL I went through NINE transmissions and started on the OE GT2554R, then killed six more with upgraded turbos. Three on the OEM GT25 at spikes of 21psi. Killed two within a week with the 2871. Then killed four more over a few months with the 2860. Third gear is the problem if the OEM LSD doesn't fail first.

Really, just need to tune with 12psi? Do I need colder plugs at that point? I've seen you post a lot on this forum, what would you say a good reliable horsepower figure would be with a Wiseco piston & K1 rod setup would be? I think I remember someone say they went through two transmissions at 275 whp.

Also, where can I find an SSAFC?

I'm so excited to get this done, guys, Dino is just taking a while on this engine! I had this car two weeks before the engine blew, but those two weeks were fun as ****. I'm coming from a Saturn Ion and a Ninja 300, so this is my first turbocharged car. I love it so far.

Your trans will be fine if it is in good condition and you aren't too hard on it. Don't shift too quickly and upgrade the motor mounts. You will need a better clutch as the stock clutch won't last at 225+ wheel for long. Your internals do not dictate how much power you will make. The size of the turbo, how much boost and your tune will determine your power output. You won't need colder plugs unless you are running more than 18psi or so. You can probably make 250whp at about 15psi with a decent tune, FMIC, BOV, DP, 3" exhaust and SRI or CAI. AFC's come up for sale on this forum or the facebook parts groups every once in a while, or you can buy them new from CR3 I believe for about $400.

Back