New to the forum/ engine swap

candjcycles

:
2003 Mazda Protege5
Hello everyone i am new to the forum. I own a 2003 Protege5 and i was in the process of swapping my motor with a JDM. I will probably have a boatload of questions before long. Now i have to remember how to put all this stuff back together. The intake manifold seems like the biggest challenge.

Attachments

• Christmas eve 104 (640x480).jpg
    Christmas eve 104 (640x480).jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 181
  • Christmas eve 082 (640x480).jpg
    Christmas eve 082 (640x480).jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 160
The intake was actually pretty easy to reinstall. Ive got everything almost ready to go. Does any one know the best/ Cheapest place to get a full exhaust?

Ive got everything back together and no fuel pressure. I hope i didnt pinch a wire. I think i hooked everything back up correctly. Im gonna try and diagnose it this weekend. Any ideas from past experiences would be appreciated. Thanks.

Thanks. I think you guys are right. I didnt even think of it. By Knock sensor you mean Crankshaft postion sensor? I am not sure of the motor designation. All i know is its a FS. I really appreciate the replys.

No the knock sensor on the back of the block, it has a one-wire connector that will not plug into the stock harness. The Crank sensor is the same. You can check what engine it is by pulling the valve cover and reading the code on the intake cam. FSZE will have FSH9 intake cam, FSDE will have FSD7 cams.

Last edited:
I got the car running and drove it for about 2 miles and then the check engine light illuminated. I went home and read the codes and it threw a knock sensor code. It did not throw any other codes. While driving i did not hear any pinging and it actually drove quite well. I had swapped the knock sensor previously but i noticed the weather seal on the back of it was somewhat deteriorated and i suspect it has just simply failed. Should i check anything else out before i just swap the sensor out for a new one and hit the road? Thanks for all the help.

Our knock sensors tend to drip goo then dry right out and crumble. Some guys were having pinging with no code and a new sensor fixed it.
Getting a new knock sensor is a smart idea especially if the ECU says to.

Thats what it looks like. I was going to buy the Beck-Arnley off of Ebay for $40. Any recommendations on brand to select for the sake of durability? The dealership wants $160 for the OE replacement! Thanks buddy.

I don't think the knock sensor is one of the kind of parts where brand name matters much.
I've had Beck-Arnley coils on my car for 3~4 years and they've been fine...

I got one on the way. Thanks for the review and thanks to everyone for all the valuable advice. The car is running great.

Yep. I run premium fuel already. Its a pretty peppy little engine. Im not sure if my old one was really that tired and worn out, but this engine is a runner. I wont check it until i have to inspect valve lash or do the timing belt which will be a while. Thanks for the tip.

Back