Just a little purple protege5 build

tein s-tech's were made so they can go on your stock struts but seeing as they were never replaced, id replace them.
i only replaced my front struts (with the kyb's) cus one of them were blown

kyb works great, i think oreillys sells the kyb excel-g ones
i heard a lot of people go with the tokico struts as well
if youre gonna replace all the springs/struts you can maybe consider opting for coilovers for a bit more

What's the difference between coilovers and just struts and springs? If it's a 100% performance driven car, is it better to get coils that struts and springs?

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

It's better to get coilovers for sure, decent struts, springs and new strut mounts will cost more than coilovers. But coilovers take more work to install and adjust the ride height, once they are set however they don't really have to be adjusted anymore. Coils are not as comfortable of a ride for a daily driver, however. I recommend Tokico HP (blues) struts and some Teins or Eibach springs.

It's better to get coilovers for sure, decent struts, springs and new strut mounts will cost more than coilovers. But coilovers take more work to install and adjust the ride height, once they are set however they don't really have to be adjusted anymore. Coils are not as comfortable of a ride for a daily driver, however. I recommend Tokico HP (blues) struts and some Teins or Eibach springs.

^this
a part of me wishes that i just waited a bit longer and got coilovers
you wouldnt have to worry about replacing anything bc its basically the whole assembly down there
and you can adjust it... but i opted for springs bc its my daily and i dont want to spend too much on it; i have other things to prioritize lol
and im sure its a lot stiffer
a lot of my friends who have gotten springs in the past ended up buying coilovers later on haha

what it comes down to is how much youre willing to spend and what youre planning to do with the car
good luck! let us know what you decide to do

^this
a part of me wishes that i just waited a bit longer and got coilovers
you wouldnt have to worry about replacing anything bc its basically the whole assembly down there
and you can adjust it... but i opted for springs bc its my daily and i dont want to spend too much on it; i have other things to prioritize lol
and im sure its a lot stiffer
a lot of my friends who have gotten springs in the past ended up buying coilovers later on haha

what it comes down to is how much youre willing to spend and what youre planning to do with the car
good luck! let us know what you decide to do
Haha, allow me to clear things up, the intentions of the car is just a fun little daily, that I can take to meets and stuff and just have fun. Nothing crazy,

Now that that's all cleared up, pictures?

484b543d4eddd27575578001609ba12b.jpg
5d39838c1fb82dca57c7dad091b5d8f7.jpg
7320e5a0185214ee68675dce37ef504f.jpg

Note to self, let all spray cans sit in warm water before spraying, it comes out smoother, and you can use less coats.

a3aea5d63590ea6f8527d8133ec82da1.jpg

That looks f-ing amazing. You should see it in person. Holy crap.

I messed it up on the clear coat, so guess what? I have to start again. Ugh. Guess I'll try and attack it tomorrow.

Hey hey! I like the black better but what do you guys think?

e029ce2f9ea49fa0d1d4287a683fd2a3.jpg

Too much blue?

Well i painted all mine red, and i liked it but i had seen on meandmypenquin's build he had painted his gloss black and thought it looked great and i was thinking of changing mine to that, it cf wrap everything...keeping the dark interior on this seems to look the best

Sent from my SM-N910T3 using Tapatalk

I like the blue on yours. I black'd out my door controls, cupholders, shift knob, radio bezel where the only silver is door handles, some on the MOMO ebrake handle, door lock trim, the shifter bezel itself(sportronic) & my pedal covers/dead pedal. But I did mine without painting anything except the gauge & cupholder bezel. All the other black stuff is oem black parts from sedans.

323F_Mar2012_01.JPG

My trunk mat must be way early version as it does not have the folded edge around the top of it like yours does.

gtspec_rr_stb06.JPG

Last edited:
I had red, then black, Now this, I like the black better I think. Sedan parts are black!? Why did I not know that.

Only ES sedans had black interiors, the 99-early 01 ES had the black switch plates like that. They are textured black like the door panels, not smooth like the P5 ones. I have the Canadian CF style ones in my cars, they are the best IMO. You can get all black door handles for pretty cheap online. 03 DX models had the black cup holders like those in the picutre.

The Canadian CF door controls are great to match the CF radio bezel. They'd be best IMO if they actually were CF and/or had a carbon weave that matched other stuff like DG parts and the MOMO CF Pit Stop ebrake handle. Cupholder in the pic is painted P5 one like I mentioned. Same paint as used on the dual gauge bezel. Those didn't come in any oem models. Here's the shifter I swapped to - oem from what model and market?

blk_P5_shftr.jpg

Last edited:
Are your cupholders black? Because I have black 03 cupholders out of a DX/LX I pulled from the junkyard.

That's all really cool? Is it hard to find those parts? And would it be cheaper just to buy a busted parts car?

Anybody know some ways I can gain lost power? (without taking anything major part)

Back