Just a little purple protege5 build

TonyKahrs

:
2002 Protege 5
Hey guys! I'm completely new to the fourms, and I'm making this forum for mainly the refrence to everything I do, so if anything breaks, I can re trace my steps. Expect a lot of pictures, thanks!

This is how the car stands as of now.
ddee8162e095dfb2cfa44f6b45a82ac4.jpg

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

A list of basic stuff I have done.

-plastidiped emblems, rear valance, mirrors
-painted inside headlights, found out they were broken, need new ones.
-tinted tails, fogs, and sidemarkers
-STICKERS!
-cleaned engine bay, tune up.
-(white wheels are a go-to)

I saw a while back a couple of proteges with the 17" mazdaspeed wheels. But my main idea is some multispoke wheels.

Are those on some models of the car? I saw some diffrent style rims on a protege5 at the mall earlier today!

They are the racing harts that came on mazdaspeed proteges. There are also another set of factory racing harts that came on the protege mp3.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Sweet! I'll look into those. After the holidays my job picks back up.

Hey guys! Quick update! I bought an ebay exhaust for the car, and thought I would document the process.

Unboxing the cat back was a little bloody, (stabbed my hand) which means that it was packaged well!

Nice and shiny.

bbbba5f8c89d6e5d83f06bccdc54e245.jpg

Size comparison!

4f40608c7bd06ba8cb4259b0e0806add.jpg

I had to cut the old exhaust to get it out, rusted to the car. Ew. The new exhaust is 3 pieces instead of the 2 peices the original exhaust had.

The gaskets that came with the exhaust were not vary good but they will do nicely.

The exhaust sounds amazing. Deep and throaty. I do not recommend removing the 2nd cat. (unless you want to sound like a weed eater)
https://vimeo.com/197039937

Small update.
I pulled into my family's house for the Christmas day and my car was leaking coolant from the overflow box. There was also a hissing from the radiator cap. I think I need to replace the cap. It's 14 years old. I don't think it's holding presure anymore. There was no trail of coolant into the driveway, so it burst when I turned the car off. Should have been watching temperature. Yikes.

All the auto stores are closed so I'm leaving it in the grass untill tomorrow morning when I can get the part. Then I'll refill the missing 4 cups with water. Btw, it's 72 degrees in Christmas here haha!

I just topped it off with 1 cup of tap water. Not gonna risk anything, just gonna park it and replace the cap.

Last edited:
I used to run an eBay catback. No complaints, sounded good, fitment was good. Eventually the core in the muffler rusted out and I was dragging a 20ft long strand of packing. Pulled the rest of the packing out, as well as the baffling, leaving just a hollow muffler shell. And it actually sounded really good. Only reason I swapped was because I found a mazdaspeed axleback.

So, I replaced the radiator cap and it didn't solve the issue. The car still ran up to high temp. O shut it off and parked before it over heated. Having it towed to a buddy so we can check it out tomorrow. Thinking it's the thermostat now, hopefully it's not a blown head gasket. Yikes.

3f1bace76203c7424af262adc1bd11c4.jpg

So my car was towed to a buddies shop, waiting till tomorrow to get it checked out. If anyone knows what it is, or had the same problem, let me know. Thanks guys!

Last edited:
If your gonna go aftermarket thermo, get a fail safe from autozone. If it fails it stays open so the car doesnt overheat. And make sure to get a new seal for the thermo cause it will not come with a new one. AND ALSO CHECK FOR CRACKS ON THE OVERFLOW TANK, CAN CAUSE OVERHEATING ASWELL.

Last edited:
Alright! Sorry there hasn't been much activity on here, I've been out for holiday season. I've landed an interview with a factory, hopefully I get the job so the mods roll in!!

Hey guys! After washing the car and waxing it after the harsh winter, I have a part I don't want anymore.
25af1f7df01c734d1492a7f702a76231.jpg

It's a trunk liner that came with the car, I'm thinking I want a net more than a rubber liner. Where do I sell it and or how much does it go for?
There is a small stain as you can see in the picture, it's from spilt gasoline, nothing a good paint coat can't fix!!

4bab05d0b89d88d5c9fd2c6f7733f8cb.jpg

Back