Why do P5's eat headlight bulbs? Any long-lasting alternatives?

One of the main reasons for the suckage is the fact that factory low beam uses an H4 connector with a missing wire and you've got to put an H7 adapter in between the bulb and that connector. It's like plugging a bunch of things into a single electrical socket. I've owned two of these cars and it isn't an isolated issue. I can always tell when I see another P5 heading my way because it's got a blown low beam. :D I purchase bulbs by the dozen from Rockauto. My next step is going to be retrofitting a Bi-Xeon setup into some sedan H4 housings and finally just be done dealing with this terrible design. I get tired of trying to cram my hands into the awkwardly placed bulb openings in the housings or having the locals finest harass me because this thing loves to chew fresh bulbs and spit them out.

I'm thinkin the bulbs tabs didn't lineup during installation and bent the receiver socket.

(or someone stuck a screwdriver in it and bent the shyte outta it)

I've replaced a few bulbs in this socket over the ~5 years I've had the car, and I'm pretty sure it wasn't like that before. The deformation looks to be caused by excessive heat, rather than by physical means. The copper is discolored, kind of a matte, and the whole terminal looks like it's been twisted under a blowtorch.

I've had my car ~8 years and only replaced the bulbs twice ... I dunno ???

2 years here and still have the same bulb. I don't use that stupid grease either. Bulbs still as bright, only thing I hate is when the car has a "surge" and they dim for a second.

I don't think it is the P5. I think it is Sylvania. I've noticed in the past 2-3yrs that my bulbs blow out much more frequently.
I tend to buy bulbs in pairs but replace only the blown out bulb.

I've had several instances where I replaced a bulb on one side and then 8 months later that side goes out before the other side. This has happened on different cars including Protege5, Protege LX, Honda Fit, and VW Cabrio.

I've started keeping my receipts as they are warrantied for a year.

Was replacing one or another headlight bulb every 6 months, switched to an HID setup, been running same bulbs for the past 14 years.

Car was never going thru many bulbs but also have had same HID bulb/ballast setup for at least 10 years.

I had bulbs going every six months or so. Switched to HID and have had to replace one bulb and one ballast in about 5 years. IIRC, DDMTuning has lifetime warranty on their kits.

After 2 years and a week one headlight bulb went out. So it seems like the driver side goes out first for me, when I replaced it last time is was the driver side.

Back