HID headlight

:
2010 Mazda CX-9 Grand Touring
Hi, about a month now the passenger side HID headlight on my 2010 CX-9 GT would flicker on start up. Today it's not lighting at all. Any suggestions? I'm thinking of getting the oem ballast replaced.

Hi, about a month now the passenger side HID headlight on my 2010 CX-9 GT would flicker on start up. Today it's not lighting at all. Any suggestions? I'm thinking of getting the oem ballast replaced.

it might be a bad bulb, try swapping the bulbs first and see if passenger side light up, if it does than it's easier and cheaper to get a replacement bulb than replacing the ballast, I believe to get to the ballast, the front bumper needs to come out then the whole housing has to come out to get to the ballast.

it might be a bad bulb, try swapping the bulbs first and see if passenger side light up, if it does than it's easier and cheaper to get a replacement bulb than replacing the ballast, I believe to get to the ballast, the front bumper needs to come out then the whole housing has to come out to get to the ballast.
Is replacing the HID bulb as easy as replacing a standard bulb? I haven't looked at it as yet.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Is replacing the HID bulb as easy as replacing a standard bulb? I haven't looked at it as yet.

pretty much, if I'm not mistaken the CX-9 OEM HID is a D2S type, see video,

it's for an Infiniti, but the process is similar...... they show the housing removed from the car to take the video easier,

you do not need to remove the housing from your CX-9

hopes this helps....

replacing a bulb is lot easier and cheaper than replacing the OEM ballast.... however, DO NOT BUY cheap ebay D2S bulbs,

they will damage your OEM ballast.

Hi sorry for the late reply was away, now tackling this. It's not the D2S bulb so I'm going to have the ballast replaced.

I have another question I noticed my park lights were blown so I am also changing those, when I inspected I noticed there are side marker bulbs but I have never seen them on before. When do they light? Is it together with the park lights?

You might want to try the igniter & cable before you buy a ballast. Strangely, I can't find where Mazda sells the igniter. Doesn't show to come with the bulb or the ballast. They are on ebay though. You could also get a ballast and an igniter on ebay together for cheap. Thankfully mine are still working 100% on my 2008.

You might want to try the igniter & cable before you buy a ballast. Strangely, I can't find where Mazda sells the igniter. Doesn't show to come with the bulb or the ballast. They are on ebay though. You could also get a ballast and an igniter on ebay together for cheap. Thankfully mine are still working 100% on my 2008.
Well... I just dropped it off to have the ballast changed. They have to take off the front bumper so fingers crossed.

Update just got a call it's ready so it was just the ballast [emoji123]

Last edited:
I have about 77k miles on my CX-9 I've owned it about 3yrs now. My HID lights seems fine, I did buy new osram D2S bulbs but I never used them seeing that the ballast is what was bad.

Back