Strut replacement

:
mazda5 GT 2009
I know KYB struts have been a popular choice for many here. A local mechanic suggested bilstein to me. They are almost the same price online. Has anyone used bilsteins? What would be the better replacement for a mazda 5 2009?

Bilsteins suppose to be slightly higher end.
I'm going with that on my other car, mazda still on stock.

Bilsteins are a performance strut. Don't know which series you are talking about, but they have a more touring rated strut and a real sport strut. I haven't heard feedback about the touring, but the sport strut will probably be a bit stiff for the usual Mazda5 duties unless you have perfect streets, no curb cuts, dips, railroad crossings, etc. Think Corvette or RX-7.

This is the particular model: Bilstein 22-112880 B4 Series OE Replacement Suspension Strut Assembly. Thanks for the feedback.

http://cart.bilsteinus.com/

IMO, Bilsteins as about as high end for mainstream as you can get without going into boutique ($$) vendors. It only took 10 years (considering 2006 Mazda 6) but looks like Bilstein FINALLY offers their base B4 (twintube - OEM equivalent) replacement shocks for the Mazda 5... They've always had *more options avail for MS3 and V50. I just checked pricing and they are very compelling esp. if you are a believer in material cost and quality. They still do not offer the B6 or B8 for the sporty minded Mazda 5 owners :(! The B6 and B8 are identical except the B8 has a shorter piston for less travel, to be used with lowering springs. These are the FAMED monotube shocks and the front (for MS3) are inverted. Monotube shocks are the bases for everything that is fantastic. Bilstein B6 > Koni FSD, and Bilstein B8 > Koni Sport (adjust.)

FWIW:
*KYB GR2 is renamed to Excel G (twintube, avail for front and rear). KYB Gas-A-Just are mono tubed (avail for rear only).
*Bilstein = German, known for sporting point A-B driving behind their approach. KBY = Japanese, known for comfy point A-B driving intentions. This does NOT imply that are made in their respective countries!
*Both are good options.

(below is a random internet site for my reference on price point)
Import Replacement Parts

1. BILSTEIN OEM Shocks & Struts (19-197302)
B4 OE Replacement Twintube Shock Absorber
Boot Included : No
Finish : Black Paint
Internal Design : Twintube
Lower Mount Type : Eye 12.1mm
Position : Rear
Upper Mount Type : Stem
Part number: 19-197302 , Weight: 4.00 lbs , Price: $40.94 x 2 = $81.88

2. BILSTEIN OEM Shocks & Struts (22-112811)
B4 OE Replacement Twintube Strut Assembly
Lower Mount Type : Base Cup
Position : Front Left
Part number: 22-112811 , Weight: 9.20 lbs , Price: $90.73 x 1 = $90.73

3. BILSTEIN OEM Shocks & Struts (22-112880)
B4 OE Replacement Twintube Strut Assembly
Lower Mount Type : Base Cup
Position : Front Right
Part number: 22-112880 , Weight: 9.25 lbs , Price: $90.73 x 1 = $90.73

Subtotal: $263.34
Shipping: $0.00 UPS ground
TOTAL: $263.34

Last edited:
Thank you for the info. I think I will be using KYB just to be sure since many here have already proven its quality/ fit for the mazda 5. I am going to do the front first. Does the assembly come with the strut mounts? I read that it is advisable to replace them with the struts. I am already replacing the lower control arms, front sway bar bushings and end links.

Last edited:
Thank you for the info. I think I will be using KYB just to be sure since many here have already proven its quality/ fit for the mazda 5. I am going to do the front first. Does the assembly come with the strut mounts? I read that it is advisable to replace them with the struts. I am already replacing the lower control arms, front sway bar bushings and end links.
It comes down to the price and what you want in the end. I can absolutely make a blind bet that any Bilstein will be a better quality and fit than any KYB but in the end $$ talks.

Most likely it does not include strut mounts/dust boots/bump stops. The front mounts (spring over shock) have bearings in them b/c the suspension twists a little when you turn the steering wheel. These bearing can wear out so this depends on the conditions of your current ones. FYI, rear struts do not rotate.

I haven't looked at the purchase otions, but if the KYB can be bought as a complete set, then you would get everything you need. The set includes springs and is meant to just replace the WHOLE assy from the nut on top to the nut at the lower control arm.
From my own experience though, if you get the strut only, be sure to get the strut mount. I have bad mounts now at 80K from replacing the struts at 50K. The new struts will probably last way past 100K, which means I have to tear into the wheel well again with all the labor cost that comes with it.

I have the Billies HD (yellow) installed.

The HD version offer a much stiffer ride at factory ride-height. I ended up replacing all four corners with them.
Replacing the rear first, still having worn OEM ones in the front, I would warn that the difference in dampening between front & rear might be a cause of concern if you swap the rear only.

On the KYB, what are the part numbers / place to buy? Do you replace the springs or just keep the OEM springs?

Also, if I was wanting to change the lower (upper?) rear control arm to get rid of the camber, what is a good part number / place to buy?

I like the OEM ride but the parts just didn't last, completely shot at 70,000 miles.

Thanks!

Thanks, just what I was looking for!

I think I'll go with the gas-a-just, the top 4 reviews listed on Amazon were from Mazda 5 owners and they were all happy.

Quick question: Is it worth replacing the rear springs, if they aren't broken? I have an '09 Sport, would replace the springs with something designed for the '12+ Mazda5.

If anybody was wanting a quick quote, total cost of the parts from that list are a little under $500.

Last edited:
Bump, having the work done tomorrow (Thursday). Replace the rear springs or stick with stock and replace only the shocks? (and rear upper control arm, to get rid of camber)

Back