Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Driving in snow

Registered Member

2015 CX5 GT AWD

Oh c'mon man the toyos are not quite as bad as you make them seem - WORST TIRE EVER!! I had more than adequate traction in rain and snow. Still have great wet traction with 4/32 left on the tires. I'm expecting not quite as good traction in the snow now that they're worn, but we shall see. I think the AWD helps a lot.

My first winter I had a blast. Could not make the thing spin. Got a little bold and tackled this snow bank that ultimately took a chunk out of my plastic undercover thingy, but it was worth it . Been a little more reserved and mindful of the ground clearance since then.

Registered Member

2014 Mazda CX-5 Touring AWD

Came back from a ski trip in the Sierra / Tahoe area. On the way there, saw multiple accidents along I80, with a little snow on the road which made it slippery.
    On the way to the resort and on the way back, major snow storm with lots of snow.

What worked well was the AWD, now with non-OEM all-seasons. The car is also very predictable and controllable even when I feel it starting to slide. I had same conclusions from past trips.
    What does not work well is ice getting into the wipers and then they stop working well and windshield visibility reduced. Spray nozzles frozen shut fairly quickly. Obviously, we are not used to this weather (not cold enough for snow where we live), so perhaps my expectations are wrong.

Tires are far from perfect for these condition, though they get good scores for an all-season and it does not make sense for us to get winter tires for the number of days over the course of a winter, or even number of miles driven on actual snow/ice.

CX5 Akera 2.2 Diesel

Ok so lots of discussion about the CX5 AWD on snow, and that's just fine for those in the northern hemisphere! Glad to hear how well the perform!

But how about some examples of how it goes on the sand - on beaches! Here in the Land Down Under that's a far more likley prospect, so let's hear about that!

Donated: $5

Quote Originally Posted by Moonlighter View Post
    Ok so lots of discussion about the CX5 AWD on snow, and that's just fine for those in the northern hemisphere! Glad to hear how well the perform!

But how about some examples of how it goes on the sand - on beaches! Here in the Land Down Under that's a far more likley prospect, so let's hear about that!
    I suppose it would be best for you to start a new thread...

Mazda CX 5 GS

Had to go out today in freezing rain. The roads were salted and not too slippery. Parking lots were a mess so I tossed it around a bit.
    Nothing!!!
    I really had to do some reckless driving to get any tail wagging or skidding so I stopped.
    This little beast is sure footed and nimble, I'm happy.

i-ACTIV AWD Aficionado Kedis82ZE8's Avatar
    Donated: $25

'15 CX-5 GT AWD w/tech

Blog Entries
    I have a Jeep Wrangler and aside from ground clearance CX-5 has no perceivable disadvantage... in fact the with snows on ice... no comparison. Mud tires are seemingly just as bad as summer tires in those conditions. Am I gonna rock crawl with the CX-5?... no... I like the skid plates on the Jeep for that. I picked the perfect winter in the northwest to usher in my first real experience with winter tires. I plan to get a set for my G35x this year as well. I am totally sold.
    '15 CX-5 GT 2.5L w/tech package - 48K Miles

Registered Member

mazda

Sorry for asking a silly question. I am having default tyres which were there when i bought car. Mine is 2016 AWD Touring. I have never driven it on snow ( living in hot California ) .
    So my question is that Can i drive my car on snow with same tyres ? if No, should i use snow specific tyres ? or should i put chains while driving in snow ? (boom03)

Registered Member

16 CX-5 GT AWD w/ Tech

Quote Originally Posted by sangeeth View Post
    Sorry for asking a silly question. I am having default tyres which were there when i bought car. Mine is 2016 AWD Touring. I have never driven it on snow ( living in hot California ) .
    So my question is that Can i drive my car on snow with same tyres ? if No, should i use snow specific tyres ? or should i put chains while driving in snow ? (boom03)
    Yeah you can definitely drive in snow with the stock tires. Of course, you'd be better off with actual snow tires but if you live somewhere where it only really snows a couple times a year, investing in snow tires might not be the best idea. That's how it is for me here in Maryland. We'll get the occasional snow storm maybe 1-3 times a year and it's not worth buying, storing, having to install, etc extra set of tires. Plus, the cx5 with stock tires still doesn't pretty well.

Registered Member

2016.5 Touring FWD

Quote Originally Posted by sangeeth View Post
    I used to drive up to Tahoe from SF Bay in my base model 96 corolla with half worn tires. Used chains for the last leg where Caltrans stop you and make sure you either have chains or AWD. I am no expert driver with or without snow and don't know much about cars either. I just drive and survived ok so far. Only thing I remember is that in snow/ice/sleet I drove slow and kept good distance from the car in front of me.

Also survived driving my old beat up stick shift Saab 900 up/down the SFO hills including Lombard street. There were some hairy moments I should say.
    Last edited by Mazdauser100; 01-04-2017 at 02:11 AM.

Registered Member

2016 CX-5 AWD Touring

Quote Originally Posted by DustyFizz View Post
    Had to go out today in freezing rain. The roads were salted and not too slippery. Parking lots were a mess so I tossed it around a bit.
    Nothing!!!
    I really had to do some reckless driving to get any tail wagging or skidding so I stopped.
    This little beast is sure footed and nimble, I'm happy.
    It was 33*F yesterday with mixed rain/snow, and hit 11*F this morning, of course every road surface is glossy like mirror. I'm on DM-V2, was able to slide the rear a bit in a parking lot in the morning. Got home to a driveway coated with ice, tested the tires by stopping at the entry of the driveway (all wheels on ice), couldn't get it to go up without first backing up a bit so that the rear wheels got out of the ice sheet.

Overall, super happy with the DM-V2, could have spun out of control easily on the ice with the stock Yoko. My wife's Accord on Xi3 is also good.

Attached Images Attached Images

Donated: $8

2016 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD w/Tech

Arrow Driving in snow

Quote Originally Posted by sillyxone View Post
    Have you tried driving that E39 on snow and ice? That would be really fun ⋯

We have one (2000 BMW 528i) and I know ⋯

Registered Member

2016 CX-5 AWD Touring

Quote Originally Posted by yrwei52 View Post
    Have you tried driving that E39 on snow and ice? That would be really fun ⋯

We have one (2000 BMW 528i) and I know ⋯
    That's my brother-in-law's, he had to stash it there the whole winter and drive my old '99 Civic instead. That rear-wheel drive wouldn't even make it up the glossy driveway, just the rear swaying like a dancer.

i-ACTIV AWD Aficionado Kedis82ZE8's Avatar
    Donated: $25

'15 CX-5 GT AWD w/tech

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sillyxone View Post
    It was 33*F yesterday with mixed rain/snow, and hit 11*F this morning, of course every road surface is glossy like mirror. I'm on DM-V2, was able to slide the rear a bit in a parking lot in the morning. Got home to a driveway coated with ice, tested the tires by stopping at the entry of the driveway (all wheels on ice), couldn't get it to go up without first backing up a bit so that the rear wheels got out of the ice sheet.

Overall, super happy with the DM-V2, could have spun out of control easily on the ice with the stock Yoko. My wife's Accord on Xi3 is also good.
    Out of curiosity from a stop... if you can do it again with all fours on ice. Wipers on but with as cold as it is probably doesn't matter and then just a slight amount of braking while on the gas.

I've never played with mine on the brake part like this but have heard this can shift power around some for more traction. MikeM mention a similar technique on a steep driveway.

No way my OEM Toyos would get up that without a good run at it
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

Registered Member

2016 CX-5 AWD Touring

Quote Originally Posted by Kedis82ZE8 View Post
    Out of curiosity from a stop... if you can do it again with all fours on ice. Wipers on but with as cold as it is probably doesn't matter and then just a slight amount of braking while on the gas.

I've never played with mine on the brake part like this but have heard this can shift power around some for more traction. MikeM mention a similar technique on a steep driveway.

No way my OEM Toyos would get up that without a good run at it
    I'll give the brake technique a try when I get home. Only the thick ice sheet at the end of the driveway was problematic, once I got over that and stopped, had no problem going up on the thin ice.

My cameras didn't have a good view, but you can see all 4 wheels spun from the two cameras (choose 1080). It seems that the front left wheel didn't spin during the second try, but the front right wheel did (from the reflection on the ice). The rear wheel spun on both tries, and thus, swayed the rear.

https://goo.gl/photos/6aZ8otnWEdWjkMip7

Registered Member

CX-5

What do you think about this tire, not worried about losing some handling.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...omCompare1=yes

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast