Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Driving in snow

2016.5 CX5 Grand Touring

Quote Originally Posted by mashburned View Post
    The AWD performance in snow was the pleasantly surprising to me first winter I had it. Very confident.

Read a good article explaining how Mazda overtook Subaru in regards to AWD sophistication. Way over my head, and wish I had it handy, but just described how the sensors and response of Mazda AWD was very advanced compared to subura which was the previous AWD standard.

Great little snow CUV. I feel very confident driving it.
    I think it's probably the same article my husband read before we got our CX5. He was saying the exact same thing; that the technology in the CX5 way outdid the previous leader, Subaru.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Registered Member

2016.5 CX-5 GT

new 2017 CX-5 in snow, looks like fun !! wish there was something like that here in USA.......

don't get me wrong, I love the new look outside, but that 2017 center dash could have been layed out better

empty space above and below the vents....just looks too plain.....I prefer the 2016 dash

2016 dash lay out

hands down, the new CX-9 dash is the best looking, note they placed the tweeter on the dash instead of the CX-5 A pillar, I think the A-pillar location would be optimal for tweeters.... is there center speaker on the new CX-9 / CX-5, not sure since the LCD screen might be obscuring the center speaker

Last edited by blackcx5; 12-30-2016 at 01:07 AM.

Registered Member

2016.5 CX-5 Sport

I slipped and slid enough coming back from the mountain, Going up with the stock tires is no big deal coming down using motor breaks and it still lets go on the ice is no fun. Got Blizzak dmv 2 coming.

Registered Member

2016 CX-5

Quote Originally Posted by blackcx5 View Post
    new 2017 CX-5 in snow, looks like fun !! wish there was something like that here in USA.......

don't get me wrong, I love the new look outside, but that 2017 center dash could have been layed out better

empty space above and below the vents....just looks too plain.....I prefer the 2016 dash

2016 dash lay out

hands down, the new CX-9 dash is the best looking, note they placed the tweeter on the dash instead of the CX-5 A pillar, I think the A-pillar location would be optimal for tweeters.... is there center speaker on the new CX-9 / CX-5, not sure since the LCD screen might be obscuring the center speaker

He almost lost it at 11:20 video mark......

Registered Member

2016.5 Mazda CX-5 Grand Touring

I actually like the 2016.5 CX-5 Dash a little better than the 2017 dash, but I have to admit, the new CX-9 dash is one of the best I've seen in any car or SUV, even from the luxury automakers.

Registered Member

2014 Mazda CX-5 Touring AWD

2016 dash lay out

The CX-5 video you linked to, at least in the beginning, does not capture the cabin well.
    Here are better photos.

i-ACTIV AWD Aficionado Kedis82ZE8's Avatar
    Donated: $25

'15 CX-5 GT AWD w/tech

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by freys View Post
    I slipped and slid enough coming back from the mountain, Going up with the stock tires is no big deal coming down using motor breaks and it still lets go on the ice is no fun. Got Blizzak dmv 2 coming.
    You won't be disappointed with the traction of the DMV2s
    '15 CX-5 GT 2.5L w/tech package - 48K Miles

Registered Member

2016 CX-5 Grand Touring AWD Deep Crystal Blue Mica

Quote Originally Posted by mikefly562 View Post
    I actually like the 2016.5 CX-5 Dash a little better than the 2017 dash, but I have to admit, the new CX-9 dash is one of the best I've seen in any car or SUV, even from the luxury automakers.
    Agree 100%

i-ACTIV AWD Aficionado Kedis82ZE8's Avatar
    Donated: $25

'15 CX-5 GT AWD w/tech

Blog Entries
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

Donated: $8

2016 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD w/Tech

Arrow

⋯ hands down, the new CX-9 dash is the best looking, note they placed the tweeter on the dash instead of the CX-5 A pillar, I think the A-pillar location would be optimal for tweeters.... is there center speaker on the new CX-9 / CX-5, not sure since the LCD screen might be obscuring the center speaker
    As long as there's Bose® Centerpoint® surround sound system for movie watching, there's a center speaker. Although we can't see it, the 12-speaker setup on new CX-9 Bose system does include a center speaker (and a pair of dash tweeters like Mazda6、CX-3 and a spare-tire sub-woofer like CX-3). Hard to tell on new CX-5 but I do believe it has a center speaker as its Bose system should have Centerpoint® surround sound. This would be a good news as this means the 10-speaker system on new CX-5 could have a spare-tire sub-woofer.

I really like the A-pillar location than dash location of newly added tweeters on new CX-5 for Bose system. High notes from tweeters will be aimed directly toward driver's ear level, which is supposed to be as high notes can't change direction like low frequency bass.

Registered Member

CX-5

I feel completely different. My 2016 GT with 19" stock tires sucks in the snow. Yeah I'm sure buying winter tires would help a lot, but even with the new stock tires I expected it to go better. Doesn't stop for crap even in 1" of snow. I have a Jeep Renegade TH and it plows through anything. Being able to lock in the 4x4 is way better. We will be dumping the CX-5 as soon as possible.

ZOOOOOOOOOM ZOOOOOOOOOOOM mazdadude's Avatar

'16.5 Mazda CX-5 Touring AWD, '05 PRIUS

Quote Originally Posted by jjp735i View Post
    I feel completely different. My 2016 GT with 19" stock tires sucks in the snow. Yeah I'm sure buying winter tires would help a lot, but even with the new stock tires I expected it to go better. Doesn't stop for crap even in 1" of snow. I have a Jeep Renegade TH and it plows through anything. Being able to lock in the 4x4 is way better. We will be dumping the CX-5 as soon as possible.
    Try swapping the jeep tires to the cx-5 and then compare... I think installing the 17 inch or 16 inch winter or snow tires would be the best for snow, and be much cheaper than taking a big $$$ hit from "...dumping the CX-5 as soon as possible."

Right now you are asking your Mazda which has running/cross-training shoes on it (all-season tires), to perform in the snow like someone in trail/hiking boots. (all-terrain tires).

Is your CX-5 GT an AWD??
    Last edited by mazdadude; 01-03-2017 at 09:20 AM.
    Mazda's I have owned over the years. (boom07)
    80' Mazda GLC SPORT MT - sold
    81' Mazda 626 DX MT - sold
    81' Mazda 626 LX AT - sold
    82' Mazda 626 DX MT - sold
    82' Mazda 626 LX AT - sold
    85' Mazda 626 LX MT - sold
    87' Mazda 626 GT Turbo MT - sold
    85' Mazda RX-7 GSL-SE MT- sold
    87' Mazda RX-7 Turbo 2 MT - sold
    91' Mazda Protege LX MT - sold
    92' Mazda MX-5 Miata MT - sold
    93' Mazda MX-3 GS-V6 Special Edition MT - sold
    00' Mazda 626 LX-V6 MT - sold
    02.5' Mazda Protege5 MT - sold
    92' Mazda MX-5 Miata MT - sold
    06' Mazda 5 Touring AT - sold
    13' Mazda CX-5 Touring AT - sold
    14' Mazda 3i Grand Touring MT - sold
    15' Mazda CX-5 Touring AWD AT - sold
    03' Mazda Protege5 AT - sold
    16.5' Mazda CX-5 Touring AWD AT - current
    09' Mazda Mazdaspeed3 GT - current

Registered Member

2014 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD w/Tech

Winter tires would completely change your mind about the CX-5, believe me. I know snow and I know the stock GT tires! Oh, and about the Jeep, if you keep the CX-5 until the summer, why not take both of them on a high-speed run on a freeway cloverleaf sometime and tell me how the Jeep compares! I'll bet the Jeep, with it off-road oriented tires wouldn't fare as well as the CX-5 does (just a guess). But with some aggressive summer rubber on the Jeep's wheels, I'll also wager that it would do better than it does with off-road rubber. The point being; you are comparing an apple and an orange. Given a little bit of an upgrade, you could shine up that apple a bit and take a better bite out of winter!

Registered Member

CX-5

Quote Originally Posted by mazdadude View Post
    Try swapping the jeep tires to the cx-5 and then compare... I think installing the 17 inch or 16 inch winter or snow tires would be the best for snow, and be much cheaper than taking a big $$$ hit from "...dumping the CX-5 as soon as possible."

Right now you are asking your Mazda which has running/cross-training shoes on it (all-season tires), to perform in the snow like someone in trail/hiking boots. (all-terrain tires).

Is your CX-5 GT an AWD??
    I've lived in snow belt all my life and have gone through many winters with all season with no problems, It's just Mazda did not think on these Toyo tires, Terrible.

It's a AWD and I agree the tires are terrible, worst set I've ever owned. They sucked new, even in wet conditions. I didn't really want the 19" wheels, but worked out a good deal on this one. I'm way ahead of the game on this ride, got a good deal, own it out right, so the only loss I'll take is the depreciation.

I don't drive the CX-5 much and partner wants it gone. Just doesn't like it. Owned almost 2 years and the little things are adding up to dump it. It has been problem free.

I just don't think you can compare AWD to real 4X4. My little Renegade will tackle snow, trails the CX-5 couldn't even touch.

ZOOOOOOOOOM ZOOOOOOOOOOOM mazdadude's Avatar

'16.5 Mazda CX-5 Touring AWD, '05 PRIUS

I've lived in snow belt all my life and have gone through many winters with all season with no problems, It's just Mazda did not think on these Toyo tires, Terrible.

It's a AWD and I agree the tires are terrible, worst set I've ever owned. They sucked new, even in wet conditions. I didn't really want the 19" wheels, but worked out a good deal on this one. I'm way ahead of the game on this ride, got a good deal, own it out right, so the only loss I'll take is the depreciation.

I don't drive the CX-5 much and partner wants it gone. Just doesn't like it. Owned almost 2 years and the little things are adding up to dump it. It has been problem free.

I just don't think you can compare AWD to real 4X4. My little Renegade will tackle snow, trails the CX-5 couldn't even touch.
    Understood completely! The right tires can make or break a vehicle...

I have only dealt with the 17" Yokohama Geolandars on my 3 CX-5's, so I cannot compare against the 19" Toyos.

Look forward to hearing about your vehicle replacement choice in another thread.
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast