Driving in snow

My buddy at work used to run a garage and he laughed at me for getting snow tires. Waste if money, he says. Yeah..ok.

Yeah everyone on here knows I used to poo-poo snow tires, but I am converted. Was very impressed with what I was able to do with them!

I had Nokian WRG3 SUV's, and they are trash. What tires are you using that don't absolutely suck?

Blizzak WS80s

They wear fast too...soft rubber and all that, but have carried me through some very nasty mountain drives this year very confidently like my CX-5 was a damn tank or something. Snow and ice, who gives a s***?

But we had some warm periods last winter, and plenty of warm dry days/weeks between major snows that the WS80s have worn out faster than they should. This winter has been more winter like.

Last edited:
And I have Blizzak DM-V1's. It makes my CX-5 like a snowmobile, absolutely amazing traction. 4th winter and still plenty of tread depth. Might replace them next winter just due to the age of the rubber.

And I have Blizzak DM-V1's. It makes my CX-5 like a snowmobile, absolutely amazing traction. 4th winter and still plenty of tread depth. Might replace them next winter just due to the age of the rubber.

I don't think the useful life on my Blizzaks will go a 3rd winter sadly. I blame last winter for being reletively mild versus this winter, and the fact that we go between cold and warm, snow and dry.

Those new WS90's look promising though. Or I might try a non-Blizzak tire. I don't know yet.

I had my 3rd set of Michelin X-Ices installed last week. The OG set lasted 5yrs/60,000km before it needed to be replaced. The second (newer X-Ice 3s) went 7 years and 80,000km before I replaced them at 5/32 of tread remaining. I probably should have replaced them when they hit 6/32 because the decrease in traction was noticeable, but I'm still quite satisfied with both the longevity and performance of these tires.

If I end up upgrading to a CX-5 from my current 2014 Mazda3, I'll happily buy X-Ices for it, too.

My buddy at work used to run a garage and he laughed at me for getting snow tires. Waste if money, he says. Yeah..ok.

Yeah so that's pretty fkn stupid...buuuutttt hey if you're some pansy ass (not saying you are at all) but if you were some pansy ass who could/would not want to go out if there's more than a flurry forecasted- (I know ppl like this- one of whom has an A4 quat w/snows) and/or if you're a teacher or otherwise happy to stay home in weather then OK he could have a point. If you live where there are very few hills/turns and idk less than cpl feet annually and you have an awd vehicle with decent tires that aren't at/nearing baldinis(so fkn many ppl can't even say that) then I'm OK w/that too. So there are cases I actually wouldn't recommend them but my lord there are soooo many worse things ppl can and do waste money on(daily)- it does border on insanity- at least from my area north/westward.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back