Driving in snow

DustyFizz

:
Mazda CX 5 GS
I've driven all types of vehicles in snow, rear wheel drive, front wheel, 4x4 Jeep and GMC.
The CX 5 AWD has them all beat, what a blast.
Not talking about off road but city driving with just under a foot of snow on the ground overnight. I really have to do something stupid to get it to misbehave.

Looks like we are in for another heavy snow Winter here in Ottawa. Last year at this time people were still golfing. This time the X-country skiers are out early and the hills are open. I'm ready.

I have GOODYEAR WINTER NORDIC tires, they were on sale.
I don't find them noisy or rough, thoroughly happy with them.

Last edited:
Yeah the cx5 handles snowy weather very well. Many videos on YouTube showing this. Are you running the stock tires or special snow tires?

Wasn't Mazda showing off the new Miata...yes the Miata's ability to drive in the snow.

I'm pleasantly surprised by my new CX-5 in the snow but I have to give the nod to my previous Ram 2500 with 31 inch K02's for winter driving...

Interesting. I've never owned a vehicle that did well in ice or snow regarding braking with regular tires though, I bet your tires are helping a lot. I did get a chance to try my CX-5 out in ice and snow though, and while it's not as composed as my Jeep Grand Cherokee w/HEMI and QD2 was due to the difference in AWD systems, it's not bad at all, and I am very happy with it. Pleasantly surprised at how competent the AWD and TC are.

I'm thoroughly impressed with my CX-5 in the snow. We got a set of wheels and Blizzaks and it's truly impressive!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm thoroughly impressed with my CX-5 in the snow. We got a set of wheels and Blizzaks and it's truly impressive! Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gotta agree. Other than being a bit squishy on center, likely due to the tread depth and block design, I couldn't fault our DM-V1s. Our daughter has a set of the DM-V2s on her Pilot and loves them.

Last edited:
These DM-V2's sure are planted on mine with very impressive traction. Ground clearance being the the only limitation this vehicle feels like it can tackle anything in the snow & ice.

These DM-V2's sure are planted on mine with very impressive traction. Ground clearance being the the only limitation this vehicle feels like it can tackle anything in the snow & ice.
I guess you guys would be having fun with all the snow falling early and hard this year. Even though you have a new set of snow tires this winter, don't get too excited and forget the ground clearance like Chris_Top_Her did! :)

A1Q6qFG.png

winter tires make a big difference.

we got our first snowfall of the season last Saturday (here in Pennsylvania), and it was the first time driving in the snow with my CX-5 (stock tires). Overall, not bad. I was able to drive with a lot of confidence, but not so much with quick turns in parking lots.

It's been fun driving in the snow for the first time with the CX-5. I can get a pretty good power slide going around corners until the traction control kicks in. I haven't tried it yet with it turned off but I will.

I guess you guys would be having fun with all the snow falling early and hard this year. Even though you have a new set of snow tires this winter, don't get too excited and forget the ground clearance like Chris_Top_Her did! :)

Ha! Oh no!! Yeah, the low clearance is something to keep in mind.

The AWD performance in snow was the pleasantly surprising to me first winter I had it. Very confident.

Read a good article explaining how Mazda overtook Subaru in regards to AWD sophistication. Way over my head, and wish I had it handy, but just described how the sensors and response of Mazda AWD was very advanced compared to subura which was the previous AWD standard.

Great little snow CUV. I feel very confident driving it.

The AWD performance in snow was the pleasantly surprising to me first winter I had it. Very confident.

Read a good article explaining how Mazda overtook Subaru in regards to AWD sophistication. Way over my head, and wish I had it handy, but just described how the sensors and response of Mazda AWD was very advanced compared to subura which was the previous AWD standard.

The AWD my CX-5 displayed impressed me, personally. I thought it reacted quickly, and appropriately.

I think it's probably the same article my husband read before we got our CX5. He was saying the exact same thing; that the technology in the CX5 way outdid the previous leader, Subaru.

new 2017 CX-5 in snow, looks like fun !! wish there was something like that here in USA.......

don't get me wrong, I love the new look outside, but that 2017 center dash could have been layed out better

empty space above and below the vents....just looks too plain.....I prefer the 2016 dash

2016 dash lay out

2016-Mazda-CX-5-interior-view-02.jpg

hands down, the new CX-9 dash is the best looking, note they placed the tweeter on the dash instead of the CX-5 A pillar, I think the A-pillar location would be optimal for tweeters.... is there center speaker on the new CX-9 / CX-5, not sure since the LCD screen might be obscuring the center speaker

2017-mazda-cx-9-2_1600x0w.jpg

Last edited:
I slipped and slid enough coming back from the mountain, Going up with the stock tires is no big deal coming down using motor breaks and it still lets go on the ice is no fun. Got Blizzak dmv 2 coming.

new 2017 CX-5 in snow, looks like fun !! wish there was something like that here in USA.......

don't get me wrong, I love the new look outside, but that 2017 center dash could have been layed out better

empty space above and below the vents....just looks too plain.....I prefer the 2016 dash

2016 dash lay out

2016-Mazda-CX-5-interior-view-02.jpg

hands down, the new CX-9 dash is the best looking, note they placed the tweeter on the dash instead of the CX-5 A pillar, I think the A-pillar location would be optimal for tweeters.... is there center speaker on the new CX-9 / CX-5, not sure since the LCD screen might be obscuring the center speaker

2017-mazda-cx-9-2_1600x0w.jpg

He almost lost it at 11:20 video mark......

I actually like the 2016.5 CX-5 Dash a little better than the 2017 dash, but I have to admit, the new CX-9 dash is one of the best I've seen in any car or SUV, even from the luxury automakers.

Latest posts

Back