Best Way To Go On Windshield Replacement - 2016 w/Tech Pkg

:
'17-6, '21 CX-5
Another cracked windshield victim here........first, about 4 months after purchase, had a small chip that I had treated, prevented it from developing a crack. But just today, heard a loud pop, and I have a 1 ft crack in another area starting from the middle edge on the passenger side, appears to have had a small impact.

My insurance will cover it, but was wondering the best way to go for replacement - get an OEM from the dealer and worry about it happening again, or go with Safelight? .......have those who have used Safelight had good luck with them?

Now I can see why so many folks here have been complaining that the CX-5 windshields are like peanut brittle. Been driving for 50 years and this is my first experience with replacing a windshield. (help)

I chose option C. Paid cash for for a Chinese made windshield. $224 installed by local reputable company if I recall correctly. Used Yelp to find 3 good providers and called each one for quotes/warranty details ect.

Owned for aprox 10 months and holding up well. Did not want insurance to cover it as my rate would go up. If windshield coverage is added its $40 per month to my premium. Safelight likely will use same Chinese made windshield but charge you more. OEM is like $800+.

I also feel CX-5 has weak windshield as the windshield of our the same 2016 CX-5 GT AWD with Tech got damaged during a hail storm but none of other vehicles parked very close by had similar windshield damage. You can't do option C as CX-5um suggested as there's no aftermarket windshield available for our particular model. The OEM costs $666.25 list, and you have no choice but to use it. For a while our windshield with mounting bracket for sensors is in long back-order but the situation has been improved. I purchased the OEM windshield from Mazda dealer, and used a local windshield shop recommended by my dealer. They did an excellent job while watching. I haven't had any issues on rain sensor or laser sensor as far as I know like some people experienced. The service manual does say the adjustments for both sensors are required after windshield replacement, although nobody knew how to do it or intended to do it at the time.

Another cracked windshield victim here........first, about 4 months after purchase, had a small chip that I had treated, prevented it from developing a crack. But just today, heard a loud pop, and I have a 1 ft crack in another area starting from the middle edge on the passenger side, appears to have had a small impact.

My insurance will cover it, but was wondering the best way to go for replacement - get an OEM from the dealer and worry about it happening again, or go with Safelight? .......have those who have used Safelight had good luck with them?

Now I can see why so many folks here have been complaining that the CX-5 windshields are like peanut brittle. Been driving for 50 years and this is my first experience with replacing a windshield. (help)

My first replacement was OEM. My second, I went with Safelite. Guess which one has not broken again...it's taken some real hits, too. OEM glass from Mazda is about as reliable as a condom that spent last duck season over the end of Uncle Snuffy's 870. Just my .02

I chose option C. Paid cash for for a Chinese made windshield. $224 installed by local reputable company if I recall correctly. Used Yelp to find 3 good providers and called each one for quotes/warranty details ect.

Owned for aprox 10 months and holding up well. Did not want insurance to cover it as my rate would go up. If windshield coverage is added its $40 per month to my premium. Safelight likely will use same Chinese made windshield but charge you more. OEM is like $800+.

That's absolutely absurd. Who are you with? I have State Farm, and it was another $2 a month or something. Of course, I have max policies. $250K property, $400K medical, or something like that. All it took was a girl hitting my 370Z and me suing the s*** out of her company and maxing both medical and property damages for her state minimum policy for me to figure out I don't want to play the "minimum legal" game. Adding $0 glass coverage was like a buck or two more. So I did. Sure glad I did. It's saved me 2 windshield costs already on my CX5.

Talked to Safelite and they said they would use OEM glass, but would require another outside step to recalibrate the sensors in the tech package if necessary, thus tying up my vehicle for a longer time. Talked to my dealer and they said they will also use OEM glass, and can recalibrate the sensors right there in the service dept. Either way I look at it, I'm gonna get stuck with an OEM windshield, and since I am fully covered with my insurance, I chose to go with my dealership......will kill two birds with one stone and get the airbag recall done at the same time.

Doesn't anybody else make a more durable aftermarket replacement that is available so we don't have to take the chance with another OEM windshield? It's a sin......love everything else this model but now I have it in my mind that I have to worry about every little speck of road debris that is aimed at the front end. Wondering if getting it covered with the Xpel protective film like i have on the front end will enhance its durability.

Talked to Safelite and they said they would use OEM glass, but would require another outside step to recalibrate the sensors in the tech package if necessary, thus tying up my vehicle for a longer time. Talked to my dealer and they said they will also use OEM glass, and can recalibrate the sensors right there in the service dept. Either way I look at it, I'm gonna get stuck with an OEM windshield, and since I am fully covered with my insurance, I chose to go with my dealership......will kill two birds with one stone and get the airbag recall done at the same time.

Doesn't anybody else make a more durable aftermarket replacement that is available so we don't have to take the chance with another OEM windshield? It's a sin......love everything else this model but now I have it in my mind that I have to worry about every little speck of road debris that is aimed at the front end. Wondering if getting it covered with the Xpel protective film like i have on the front end will enhance its durability.

Someone makes a film just for windshields. I forget who, though.

Personally, I would just motor on. If it breaks, Screw it. Get it replaced again. Eat cookies and use the latte machine and grab a coke to go, from the dealership show-room. Hit on the hot sales rep of your sexual orientation's choosing. Have fun with the experience.

Wait, what airbag recall? Can you elaborate? (uhm)

The recall I was referring to is the one where they reprogram the Sophisticated Air Bag Sensor (SAS) because some vehicles were found to have air bags that were susceptible to tearing during deployment.

The recall I was referring to is the one where they reprogram the Sophisticated Air Bag Sensor (SAS) because some vehicles were found to have air bags that were susceptible to tearing during deployment.
OK, now you mention it I remember there was a thread for that. Strangely I haven't received any notice from Mazda, but my manufacture date falls in the range of the recall - Jan. 2015. I was wondering if this reprogramming for front passenger airbag has something to do with sudden-dropped poor NHTSA frontal barrier 3-star passenger side crash rating for 2016 CX-5?

It's good your Mazda dealer knows what you're talking about on the sensor recalibration and is willing to do it. My dealer seemed to know nothing about it and was not interested to do anything on it. Maybe my dealer doesn't have these special calibration machines for the job.

Aftermarket windshield for our 2016 GT with Tech should eventually come in the future. I believe it's supply and demand, as there're too new and too few of 2016 CX-5 GT's with Tech sensors on the market. Those windshield manufactures in the US are simply lack of interest making it right now.

That's absolutely absurd. Who are you with? I have State Farm, and it was another $2 a month or something. Of course, I have max policies. $250K property, $400K medical, or something like that. All it took was a girl hitting my 370Z and me suing the s*** out of her company and maxing both medical and property damages for her state minimum policy for me to figure out I don't want to play the "minimum legal" game. Adding $0 glass coverage was like a buck or two more. So I did. Sure glad I did. It's saved me 2 windshield costs already on my CX5.

Yeah that's the catch with my insurance...Its (esurance) currently a much cheaper premium than when I had State Farm with Windshield coverage. Full coverage, uninsured, ect. esurance with expensive windshield policy add-on was still cheaper than equivalent State Farm with cheaper windshield add-on for me. In the end though not having windshield coverage works for me no matter what insurance I select. esurance is basically DIY coverage selection online with AllState backed customer service.

Yeah that's the catch with my insurance...Its (esurance) currently a much cheaper premium than when I had State Farm with Windshield coverage. Full coverage, uninsured, ect. esurance with expensive windshield policy add-on was still cheaper than equivalent State Farm with cheaper windshield add-on for me. In the end though not having windshield coverage works for me no matter what insurance I select. esurance is basically DIY coverage selection online with AllState backed customer service.

I've not heard of it, if Allstate backs it, it should be G2G though. I learned a long time ago through watching others screw up that "cheap insurance"...isn't.

I guess I've been fortunate, had everything from birds to half inch hail to rock salt pelt my windshield with no damage whatsoever.

What a pain this has turned out to be -
Brought my CX-5 in to my dealer early yesterday AM for the windshield replacement. About 1:30 PM was told they would have to continue trying to recalibrate the Tech Pkg sensors, requested to keep the vehicle overnight. Ok.......then got a call this PM that they could not get the sensors to work, and they had to order a new unit which will arrive and be installed either Monday or Tuesday of next week, under warranty, no charge.

So my CX-5 will be grounded a total of 5-6 days for a windshield replacement, and even though it's not costing me out of pocket, I do not want to ever go through this again like a few here have mentioned they have had to replace theirs 2-3 times. At least the service manager was very apologetic, giving me a free loaner and two free future oil changes/tire rotations, trying to keep an inconvenienced customer happy despite an unfortunate situation.

Wouldn't have been any different if I had gone through Safelite - my vehicle would have still wound up at my dealer for sensor recalibration. Perhaps it's time consider whether any windshield mounted bells & whistles will be worthwhile on any future vehicles I purchase........especially if the windshields are as prone to breakage as they are on our CX-5's. (shrug)

OK, now you mention it I remember there was a thread for that. Strangely I haven't received any notice from Mazda, but my manufacture date falls in the range of the recall - Jan. 2015. I was wondering if this reprogramming for front passenger airbag has something to do with sudden-dropped poor NHTSA frontal barrier 3-star passenger side crash rating for 2016 CX-5?

It's good your Mazda dealer knows what you're talking about on the sensor recalibration and is willing to do it. My dealer seemed to know nothing about it and was not interested to do anything on it. Maybe my dealer doesn't have these special calibration machines for the job.

Aftermarket windshield for our 2016 GT with Tech should eventually come in the future. I believe it's supply and demand, as there're too new and too few of 2016 CX-5 GT's with Tech sensors on the market. Those windshield manufactures in the US are simply lack of interest making it right now.

Date range is a rough guide; it's entirely possible your particular VIN is not included due to assembly circumstances - maybe only some of the airbag sensors were affected. Case in point is a recall last year involving a strut bolt on only 578 vehicles made over several year period. Apparently in some instances the robot doing the job didn't torque it to spec. I think its amazing that they backtrack things like that that now - clearly there must be a huge amount of data logged and stored for each vehicle produced.

Date range is a rough guide; it's entirely possible your particular VIN is not included due to assembly circumstances - maybe only some of the airbag sensors were affected. Case in point is a recall last year involving a strut bolt on only 578 vehicles made over several year period. Apparently in some instances the robot doing the job didn't torque it to spec. I think its amazing that they backtrack things like that that now - clearly there must be a huge amount of data logged and stored for each vehicle produced.
So my 2016 CX-5 is one of the 578 lucky ones for this strut bolt recall? The recall letter I received says the replacement parts are not as yet available, and have to wait for the further notice ⋯ (boom08)

So my 2016 CX-5 is one of the 578 lucky ones for this strut bolt recall? The recall letter I received says the replacement parts are not as yet available, and have to wait for the further notice ⋯ (boom08)

The recall I refer to is suspension strut, not lift gate strut. :)

Interestingly enough, I was in PA last week and observed severe rusting of lift gate bolts on a Ford edge that was only a few years old. Wouldn't surprise me if its the same supplier.

Windshields are all made the same

My first replacement was OEM. My second, I went with Safelite. Guess which one has not broken again...it's taken some real hits, too. OEM glass from Mazda is about as reliable as a condom that spent last duck season over the end of Uncle Snuffy's 870. Just my .02

I have been driving for 55 years. Had many windshields replaced. My thoughts are that all windshields come from China. Maybe even out of the same building. So, what is the difference between OEM and non OEM. My answer is there is none.

Back