Right brake light is out

flynbob

:
Mazda cx5
2014 cx5 Touring. The brake light on the right rear is not coming on. All other lights seem to work. Am I looking for a fuse or bigger problem you think?

Thanks,

Dan

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

2014 cx5 Touring. The brake light on the right rear is not coming on. All other lights seem to work. Am I looking for a fuse or bigger problem you think?

Thanks,

Dan

I'm having the same problem with my wife's CR-V. From past experience its the bulb. On the CR-V there's four bulbs on each side so you need to take the rear cover off and determine which bulb is blown. CX-5 probably has three or four too. No big deal. They're couple bucks at the auto parts store or five bucks at the dealer.

The bulb... They still have that? Haha I'll give it a shot!
Actually you should be thankful you have incandescent bulb. If you have factory LED brake / tail lights, your cost is at least $300 replacing the entire taillight unit unless you have new car warranty!

Look for clear dual-filament 7443 bulb for replacement. Or you can get two 7443 equivalent LEDs... (whistle)

Actually you should be thankful you have incandescent bulb. If you have factory LED brake / tail lights, your cost is at least $300 replacing the entire taillight unit unless you have new car warranty!

Look for clear dual-filament 7443 bulb for replacement. Or you can get two 7443 equivalent LEDs... (whistle)

Knowing what I know now...I would suggest anybody buying a car that its okay to buy a car without HIDs or LEDs. As long as they have projectors though. DIY LED kits and bulb technology has come a long way. So a new CX-5 (all come with projectors) without tech now gets the thumbs up approval from me. Its much easier to swap in (and out) LED bulbs for headlights, fogs, brake, turn signals, interior, ect.

Knowing what I know now...I would suggest anybody buying a car that its okay to buy a car without HIDs or LEDs. As long as they have projectors though. DIY LED kits and bulb technology has come a long way. So a new CX-5 (all come with projectors) without tech now gets the thumbs up approval from me.......

I agree, I've seen two 2016 CX-5 Techs with flickering LED DRL's now on the road and another one with passenger side completely not working ...... to fix, the whole light assembly housing has to come out and I believe they cost $1000 per housing

Also, just the other day, I saw a CX-5 Tech with the driver side taillight the LED tech version, and the passenger side non-tech halogen version, it looked ridiculous, I bet the owner and repair shop both didn't realize the difference and just ordered the cheaper version to replace a busted tail light.

Last edited:

Thanks,

Dan

almost positive it's a bad bulb, swap the good one bulb into the bad one to confirm.

Mine just went out the other day and mine is a 2016.5, turned out to be just a bad bulb....

Last edited:
If it's a bad bulb, common sense would suggest that if one has reached the end of it's operational life, the others probably aren't far behind... Bulbs are cheap. I'd suggest you replace them all while you're at it.

Being clobbered by some moron who thought he was passing a motorcycle might not be a great experience.

Back