Washington State: State to test-drive charging drivers by the mile

Kedis82ZE8

'15 CX-5 AWD GT w/Tech Pkg
Contributor
http://www.thenewstribune.com/news/local/traffic/article120518798.html

Washington state is getting closer to charging people for how much they drive, rather than how much gasoline they burn.

The state will begin a pilot program of a pay-by-mile system next fall and soon will start recruiting volunteers to participate in the 12-month project.

The pilot program will include 2,000 drivers from across the state. The yearlong test will explore ways that the state could charge drivers for road usage, which the state is looking at as a potential alternative to the gas tax it now imposes to pay for road projects.

Right now, drivers in Washington pay a 49.4-cent state tax on each gallon of gasoline they buy, which helps fund road projects and highway maintenance throughout the state.

But state officials warn that over time, gas tax revenues wont keep up with the cost of highway projects and maintaining the states roads and freeways mainly, because vehicles are becoming more fuel efficient.

By 2035, the state Transportation Commission predicts gas tax revenues will decline by 45 percent per mile driven, as the average vehicles fuel efficiency is projected to climb from 20.5 miles per gallon to 35 miles per gallon.

Jeff Doyle, the project manager for implementation of the pilot project, said already many drivers are paying more than their fair share of fuel taxes because they drive older or less fuel-efficient vehicles.

Meanwhile, drivers of hybrid cars and electric vehicles arent contributing as much gas tax money toward road projects, even if they use the roads more, he said.

While drivers of electric vehicles such as Teslas pay a flat, $150 registration fee that helps contribute to the states highway fund, drivers of hybrid vehicles arent subject to that fee.

And because electric vehicles dont burn gasoline at all, the amount their drivers pay in fees isnt linked to amount of wear and tear they put on the roads, Doyle said.

When it comes to gas taxes, Teslas dont contribute anything to the road tax, said Doyle, a private consultant who previously worked for the state Department of Transportation.

What youre seeing is, as more and more cars are becoming fuel efficient, theres a growing equity and fairness issue.

Earlier this year, the Legislature directed the Transportation Commission to come up with a plan to test a pay-by-mile system. In August, the Transportation Commission received a $3.8 million grant from the Federal Highway Administration to help put those plans in motion.

This week, the state commission launched a website where people can express interest in being a part of the pay-by-mile pilot.

Drivers from anywhere in Washington can apply, with a goal of having participants from at least five regions.

People who take part in the pilot will test one of four payment systems, ranging from a yearlong permit that allows them to drive unlimited miles to a smartphone app that automatically tracks all the miles they travel.

Other options available to pilot participants include using odometer readings to gauge miles traveled or an automated meter inside the vehicle neither of which would require GPS location data.

Drivers wont actually be charged for miles they travel during the test period. During the simulation, state officials will mostly be looking to see if there are any fatal flaws, from a technical perspective, said Reema Griffith, the transportation commissions executive director.

Griffith said the commission thought it was important to provide drivers with multiple options for the test run, especially given many peoples concerns about privacy. Buying a yearlong permit or using odometer readings wouldnt require any special technology, she said.

The notion of government monitoring your numbers of miles is troubling to a lot of people, Griffith said. For this to move forward, weve got to recognize this is not a one-size-fits-all system.

Recruitment and selection of participants will occur through next summer, with the one-year test drive set to begin in fall 2017.

If Washington does implement a road usage charge, it would be phased in over time, perhaps starting with the most fuel-efficient vehicles, Griffith said.

Seems like this can be more simply accomplished by using the odometer as recorded during yearly inspection. In TX, registration can't be done until after inspection is complete and that could be where cost is calculated.

People with not much money driving beaters for long distance will be asked to pay more. This needs to factor in someone's salary. Surely a Microsoft employee and a rural worker driving same miles need to pay different amounts.
Also if the feds reduced 7500 break for Tesla to 5000 and used rest to retrofix older cars to reduce emissions.

People with not much money driving beaters for long distance will be asked to pay more. This needs to factor in someone's salary. Surely a Microsoft employee and a rural worker driving same miles need to pay different amounts.
Also if the feds reduced 7500 break for Tesla to 5000 and used rest to retrofix older cars to reduce emissions.

No No No. a Microsoft employee and a rural worker driving same miles Get the same benefit from the roads and require the same road maintenance. They need to pay the same amount.

In WA state there really isn't any annual inspection. There are emission tests in some of the more densely populated urban areas but this only applies to 2008 and older models at this point. Even these tests are to be phased out by the end of the decade IIRC. I think state patrol has to do an inspection on used cars brought into state before you can license but again one time only.

also, my understanding is the plates stay with the car when it is sold. For a private sale you hand over the money, drive away and you have 10 days to tell your insurance company. (Assuming you have insurance on something you are insured for the new purchase. What a civilized state.

This is the governments answer to lower gas prices and increased population of gas/electric vehicles with "super" ranges (MPG). BS if you ask me. Who wants to bet that they renege on the "replacement of the fuel tax" assertion?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Washington is becoming a baby California. Too many crazy laws and taxes.

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

This is dumb and bad and they should just keep increasing the gas tax.

Checking the odometer doesn't account for your use out of state and hell if these dumbshits get to put a GPS in my car to track my driving.

In WA state there really isn't any annual inspection. There are emission tests in some of the more densely populated urban areas but this only applies to 2008 and older models at this point. Even these tests are to be phased out by the end of the decade IIRC. I think state patrol has to do an inspection on used cars brought into state before you can license but again one time only.

Emissions testing is done on all cars that are 5 to 25 years old, every other year for the 4-5 counties that require emissions testing.

WSP only inspects cars that are salvaged if someone tries to fix the car and have the title changed to rebuilt.

also, my understanding is the plates stay with the car when it is sold. For a private sale you hand over the money, drive away and you have 10 days to tell your insurance company. (Assuming you have insurance on something you are insured for the new purchase. What a civilized state.

it recently changed: new plates are issued every time a car changes ownership.

I think a gas tax is the way to go. Perhaps have it set by county. That way gas will be $4 in King County where its most dense and only like $2.50 in Yakima county.

I think a gas tax is the way to go. Perhaps have it set by county. That way gas will be $4 in King County where its most dense and only like $2.50 in Yakima county.

Your answer misses the point. They're trying to make up for the loss of revenue from electric and hybrids. Raising the gas tax only hurts the drivers with gasoline engines.
The owners of electric don't buy gas so they won't be affected. I guess the fair way would to levy a charge on electric car owners since the state should know who has electric when they register their vehicles.

Back