Can I just change the battery myself or does it have some complicated security junk?

LordJezo

Some cars when you pull the battery you need to reset all sorts of security things and go through initialization and codes and nonsense.

In a 2010 CX 9 can I just go over to Napa, get a new battery, and replace it myself?

I swapped our 2013 battery with no issues. But I didn't want to lose any presets (seats, patrial window roll down, radio) so I did something that I'm sure I'll catch a lot of grief for - left it running. I took a couple rolls of paper towels to stuff the battery leads in so they wouldn't touch anything/each other and had the tie down undone before I unhooked the battery. Then did the swap as fast as I could, cable unhook to rebooked was less than a minute, probab 30 seconds.

I swapped our 2013 battery with no issues. But I didn't want to lose any presets (seats, patrial window roll down, radio) so I did something that I'm sure I'll catch a lot of grief for - left it running. I took a couple rolls of paper towels to stuff the battery leads in so they wouldn't touch anything/each other and had the tie down undone before I unhooked the battery. Then did the swap as fast as I could, cable unhook to rebooked was less than a minute, probab 30 seconds.

Most cars (not sure if CX-9 falls into this group) have an internal memory that will keep all these settings for a brief period of time, like during a battery swap. I just changed the battery on my Suburban last week and it took me about 5 min from disconnect of old, to reconnect of new, and all my presets and settings were still there.

I dont care about presets or anything like that, what I am concerned with is how some of the newer cars, and even older Hondas, have special security codes that need to be entered after a battery swap, if you don't know the code none of the electronics in the console will work. The car will turn on but you wont have access to any of the radio or systems controlled by the head unit.

Also, I wont be swapping the battery with the car running so that idea is out.

Not a radio issue but the driver window, you need to take them all the way down and hold the button for a few seconds, then all the way up and hold the button for a few seconds.

Latest posts

Back