MT owners: how long has the original clutch lasted?

thaxman

Mazda5 the Anti-Van
So its been 10 years and 89K mi, and I think I am beginning to get slippage on the friction surface. Is this a normal time frame or a bit premature?

I'm sure you know this completely depends on how and where you drive... The better question is how many miles do YOU expect to get out of it, say based on your experience in a previous MT car? OE clutch lasting 10 yrs/90K is ok IMO. Before you tackle it, ensure the clutch fluids (aka brake fluid b/c this car uses a shared system so accelerated wear) and slave cylinder are in good working condition.

My pervious '91 Miata (bought at 90K sold at 120K) was still on OE clutch. Was still holding strong but I don't race/burn the clutch and lightweight car helps.

So I am expecting crickets here, but is there a better clutch out there than OEM?????? Should I look into slave cylinders or throwout bearings as long as its open?

I'll silence the crickets ...

To answer your original question, 418,000km is possible. My clutch is fine, just like new. But I am "super" easy on the clutch, plus the original owner. And I've put on 99% of the km's, so I know the clutch's history. I'm sure it will easily last to 500,000km. Maybe 600,000km if I keep it that long.

I agree with Silentnoise713 in that it really depends on how you drive the vehicle.

Back