Manual steering rack easier than just taking off belt?

drexer13

:
2003 Mazda Protege5
I'm thinking about converting to manual steering and I'm wondering if any can tell me how much easier a converted rack is to turn compared to just taking off the power steering belt.

Converting to an actual manual rack? Or deleting the internal seals and valve body in the stock rack. I still have my lines looped and pump deleted. It's a bit easier than with the pump installed. Going to be doing a full depower of the stock rack soon. Hopefully it gets a bit easier, not too much though, I like it how it is. I've been dailying it as is for a couple years now, it's not too bad. Lots of fun, and it adds a certain cool factor.

Sorry, I ment deleting the seals and valve body in the stock rack. My pump started making a pretty bad grinding noise a few days ago, so I pulled the belt and have been driving it like that. The car seems so much happier without the pump and I gained about 4 mpg. The only problem is my wife has to drive it sometimes and there is no way she can the way it is. So I was just wondering how much of an improvement there is with tbe seals deleted. My rx7 came with manual steering and it was pretty manageable.

The gains will probably be minimal. It will still be a beast to handle on parking lots and such. I'm sure she'd prefer you replace the pump.

Back