Fuel Economy

Warmer climate i was getting 24-26 mpg city only driving and with 80% highway mixed in i was hitting 30 MPG. Right now in the cold and some snow days its been worse around 25-26 MPG’s.

My CX-5 is a 2016 2.5L AWD Sport. (factory 17” rims) .

Just checked and upped tire pressure from 28 to 36. I take my previous rant back. I think I will get 30+ and on my commute this is nice.
People like me keep spreading lies on here.

Just checked and upped tire pressure from 28 to 36. I take my previous rant back. I think I will get 30+ and on my commute this is nice.
(usa)
Thanks the report back! It will be interesting to see how much if any it improves!

For me, I have accepted that if I keep the car under 60mph, I can get 30 mpg.
This is not always possible, and I sometimes must go the freeway speed instead of high-way speed.
So then when going 75mph, I can get 25 mpg.
If I can duck behind a fast moving camper or trailer, going the same 75mph I can then get 28mpg.

There are significant drag penalties on this car compared with the same engine platform and gearbox on the Mazda3, Mazda6 which can both achieve nearly 8mpg more under the same conditions.

Last edited:
(usa)
Thanks the report back! It will be interesting to see how much if any it improves!

This is not always possible, and I sometimes must go the freeway speed instead of high-way speed.
If I can duck behind a fast moving camper or trailer, going the same 75mph I can then get 28mpg.

There are significant drag penalties on this car compared with the same engine platform and gearbox on the Mazda3, Mazda6 which can both achieve nearly 8mpg more under the same conditions.

My thoughts are if you run recommended + 2 psi on your tires then at 80-85 mph or above you will still see a serious penalty. 70 mph or so you can adopt techniques to get within 1 or 2 of the quoted EPA numbers. Ofcourse you can still beat the EPA #s in some cases. I will let you know how it went.

(usa)

Yeah, I could get 44 highway mpg in my 2014 Mazda 3 hatchback with the 2.0l engine... but the road and tire noise was too much to take.

On my lengthy road trip with my CX5 I bet I could have hit 32 or 33 mpg highway, but the last couple hundred miles I was doing about 80 mph as I really wanted to get home. Hence 31 average for the highway.

You're one of the lucky ones/people who don't drive very fast/go on interstate road trips.

Actually, you are the un-lucky one who got a car with bad mileage- or it could be you. I do lots of driving -it is all on Fuelly. Your continual harping about the CX-5 mileage is tiresome - even your passive aggressive posts.

Sorry, I hate to say I told you so .... :)

Seriously, from my experience the low tire pressure due to the colder weather would affect some mpg on our CX-5, but from 26.5 to 26 mpg in my case last winter before I found my CX-5's tire pressure dropped from 38 psi to 28 psi! I hope your MPG can increase significantly after pumping up your tire pressure! Please report back the difference made after you have correct tire pressure.

In addition, although it's a hassle as you have to flip the tire over, you should also check your spare and pump it up to 60 psi as I bet yours right now may only have 40 psi or even less! (boom08)

In Order to get my EPA and dont feel low for not getting it, I turn off my AC at stops now. Stops where I kno w I will be sitting for 30 secs or more.
Yes I still dont get my EPA.
Now you know why Unobtanium and I have been complaining about the over-rated EPA numbers on our CX-5 especially for an AWD although many people here seem don't agree.

But you have a FWD, you should be able to get EPA easier. Try to check your tire pressure、and "change your driving habit" as many people suggested! :)

Notice that the 2014 MPG average on fuelly for a CX-5 is 1 MPG higher than 2015 and 2016.
I don't think it is within the error margin.

Notice that the 2014 MPG average on fuelly for a CX-5 is 1 MPG higher than 2015 and 2016.
I don't think it is within the error margin.

Interesting.. I would have thought it would have been just '16 with sport mode inclusion.

I don't use fuelly. Is that available outside of US where the the '15 in other markets was released as the '16 here?

EDIT: I guess I should ask... used by many outside of the US market? Of course likely available to load up. :)

Interesting.. I would have thought it would have been just '16 with sport mode inclusion.

I don't use fuelly. Is that available outside of US where the the '15 in other markets was released as the '16 here?

EDIT: I guess I should ask... used by many outside of the US market? Of course likely available to load up. :)

The majority is US drivers, but there are Canadians and other countries as well. There is a flag next to every car entry, so you can check for your self.

Check to see with other vehicles of the same class. Don't only look at the average, look also at the distribution. For example, RAV-4 has a bi-modal distribution, one for the hybrid and one for the gas, if you filter by engine, this will revert to single modal. CR-V has a slightly better average but worse variance than the CX-5. They Tuscon 1.6L has slightly worse average and much worse variance.
If you go to car forums, you'll see people complaining about gas millage. In this forum, it seems these are always the same people (deadhorse

Last edited:

Be bold. Go to 38 or 40psi. 36 is too soft!!

Actually, you are the un-lucky one who got a car with bad mileage- or it could be you. I do lots of driving -it is all on Fuelly. Your continual harping about the CX-5 mileage is tiresome - even your passive aggressive posts.

And you continually taking up for it is tiresome.

I've owned plenty of other vehicles. All met sticker EPA how I drove them, most exceeded it.

And you continually taking up for it is tiresome.

I've owned plenty of other vehicles. All met sticker EPA how I drove them, most exceeded it.

+1 with any effort to drive aggressively you can watch the gas gage drop. Most highways are 65 to 70 in my area with people driving 80+ to keep up. The only way I get 30 MPG out of my CX-5 is to drive 55 on the highway and take 30 seconds to accelerate to speed from a dead stop! Do I care, not really as I did not buy the car for fuel efficiency. I bought it for its handling, looks, and fun to drive factor. That's what driving should be about, not I have to make sure I get 30 MPG every time I get into the car. I would gladly give up MPG for more umph, especially merging on to highways.

Also, with the cold weather or if you are using your wipers, the system is going to be in AWD most of the time, sucking your MPGS even more...

The system turns on AWD when the wipers come on? That's interesting. I understand why.

The system turns on AWD when the wipers come on? That's interesting. I understand why.

Here are all the inputs which the I-active AWD system looks at...
Screen%20Shot%202015-07-30%20at%204.13.10%20PM.jpg

Be bold. Go to 38 or 40psi. 36 is too soft!!

My experience in pressures on our 3 cx-5 is: when running over 38psi on the stock 17" GEOLANDARS I notice the center tread will wear faster then the sides.

Other sizes like the 19", or perhaps some other 17" tires could react better...

The only way I get 30 MPG out of my CX-5 is to drive 55 on the highway and take 30 seconds to accelerate to speed from a dead stop!

It is actually better for fuel efficiency to accelerate such that RPM will be around the point of max torque, which is also the point of highest efficiency. If you go too easy when accelerating, you'll be at an RPM range which is less efficient.

However, once you reached cursing speed, maintain that speed with a consistent and gentlest of gentle throttle application and avoid unnecessary braking.

I am a pretty aggressive driver, but I usually beat my wife's average because I drive in a consistent speed. Doing 55 on a flat road with no stops, I could easily exceed 30 MPG.

IT shouldn't matter much. My Jeep's AWD was ALWAYS on, and it even had a driveshaft for it. Much heavier system, and the AWD models got very similar highway MPG to the non-AWD models. I know mine did, even cruising at 75.

Back