Fuel Economy

How long do you warm up your car for? I drive a mix of highway and residential roads (near KOP area), and average around 20-22. I also use Wawa gas (I haven't heard the best things), but I usually warm up until the RPMs drop a bit, so maybe like 1-2 minutes max.

And the winter MPG threads start! They go away with warmer weather.

- Winter blend gas is less energetic
- Cold engines use more gas as they warm up to temp
- Winter weather is often windy; wind has a big effect on mpg
- Tire pressure might be off spec

Meanwhile the EPA ratings...
- Conducted around 70 degrees in a lab
- No headwind
- Use pure gasoline and not a blend
- May have a different idea of 'city' and 'highway' driving...
lol, it doesn't matter. I get the same mileage in 100*F summer as I do in 10*F winter.

How long do you warm up your car for? I drive a mix of highway and residential roads (near KOP area), and average around 20-22. I also use Wawa gas (I haven't heard the best things), but I usually warm up until the RPMs drop a bit, so maybe like 1-2 minutes max.

For as long as it takes the shift selector to go from "P" to "D".

Yup, mpg threads are very common around this time. I average around 27-28 and 40/60 hwy/city. You should absolutely not be hitting lower than 20 in the cx5 though. No matter the weather. Unless your trip to work is just a couple miles away, and you let your car warm for 10 minutes before driving. That's another reason though winter always brings out bad gas mileage. As if the weather doesn't hurt mpg enough, remember that idling your car to warm it up tremendously hurts gas mileage.

I kindof agree with this. I've never seen under 20 for a full tank of gas. I also know I don't hotrod it about so much. An example of this is my Jeep HEMI, it was actually FUN to floor. I would tool around and get 16.5mpg normally, but when I had a fun week, I only averaged 14.5mpg or so. My CX-5 just isn't fun to hotrod, so I don't do it. There is little/no return to flooring it either in sound or sensation, so other than a few random times when someone tries to ghetto lane me, I avoid it.

16 Mile Commute. Two lane roads. Light traffic in morning, moderate traffic in afternoon. 27 MPG. Highway (Interstate) 31-32 MPG. Very happy with fuel economy

2016 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD Bought in November 2015, 11,000 miles

Last edited:

I lived in the Doylestown area for a while so I know the KOP! Don't warm the car up. It will blow through gas and drop your milage even further. Just turn the car on and drive. If the drive is short, your milage would suffer. You can follow my link to my fuelly logs. Look at the dates. In the winter, I would get ~23-24 MPG. In the summer I would get 26-27 MPG. This is all suburban driving (MPH ~23).

Wawa gas and Sam's club gas are terrible.

I only average around 19 mpg, myself . I have about a 6 mile trip to work..no highway.

I have a 2014 GT with almost 66,000 miles. I get 28mpg +/- in the winter months and 32mpg+/- in the summer months

I've logged virtually every fill-up on my 2016 Touring FWD using Car Minder app. It shows my total average as 29.42. My driving is probably 65-35 highway / city driving. My best was just about a month ago, driving Interstate in Tennessee, when I got 32.35. Since getting my CX-5 in May of this year (it already had 18k on it) I've put on another 10K +. I'm quite pleased with my mileage.

I've logged virtually every fill-up on my 2016 Touring FWD using Car Minder app. It shows my total average as 29.42. My driving is probably 65-35 highway / city driving. My best was just about a month ago, driving Interstate in Tennessee, when I got 32.35. Since getting my CX-5 in May of this year (it already had 18k on it) I've put on another 10K +. I'm quite pleased with my mileage. (I've just caught up logging my information with Fuelly, and it confirms the 29.3 average mpg.)

Working in Phoenix AZ right now and my hotel is 6 miles from where i work, all street. Was averaging 28+ Mpg with mobil 1 AFE. Went to a dealer here to change my oil and requested for Mazda with Moly. About 1,000 miles after oil change, I am averaging 30.9 mpg....

Only getting 23mpg combined city and highway driving since we bought the car new almost 4 years ago.

Only getting 23mpg combined city and highway driving since we bought the car new almost 4 years ago.

Same. It's typical. I think the '16's and up did get some re-programming of the transmission to help them come closer to meeting spec on the sticker.

CX5 Akera Diesel 2.2 6sp auto AWD. 6800kms on the clock.

Location: Cleveland, Australia. It's summer time here now, about 30-32C most days.

Typically no worse than 31 mpg mixed driving around town (7.5L/100kms). Right now the tank is nearly empty and the average this tank is sitting on 7.4L/100kms.

Can usually average on a tank, 38-39mpg (6.2l/100kms) on highway at 60mph (100km/Hr) which is generally our highway speed limit. Have done as well as 5.8l/100kms on a full tank a couple of times.

Towing my boat, which weighs about 1400kgs an is a fairly high-sided half cabin style boat, on a trip it still gets around 11-11.5L/100kms. Love those diesel torques, all 420 nm of them!

(I run my tyres at 38psi around town, but on trips and when towing any distance they go up to 40 front and 42 rear.)

Gotta be happy with that!

Last edited:
Around 23.5 mpg city/highway combined in winter, around 26 mpg in summer. The majority of my mileage is short trips (20 miles or so). Warming up the car for 20 miles in cold weather ain't good for mpg.
By the way, I have an AWD model. mpg for AWD and FWD models is not the same.

Last edited:
Just took another round trip from Houston to San Antonio. The drop in gas mileage is significant from summer to winter for my CX-5. Last summer I was getting in the 40's. If I remember right it was 43 to 45 mpg. This time my trip to San Antonio averaged 37 mpg. The return trip I got 34 mpg. So almost 10 less mpg. As I was heading out of Houston I stopped at Discount Tire. I had them air up the tires to 35psi. Maybe part of the difference is the tires. I had the original Yokohamas on the first trip.
In july I purchased new Yokohama tires. They were only sold at discount tire and made in the USA. I expected Japan. And they were rated a fuel efficient tire.
I have not noticed any difference in mixed driving though. I average 31.

Last edited:
Working in Phoenix AZ right now and my hotel is 6 miles from where i work, all street. Was averaging 28+ Mpg with mobil 1 AFE. Went to a dealer here to change my oil and requested for Mazda with Moly. About 1,000 miles after oil change, I am averaging 30.9 mpg....

I've run Mazda Moly and M1 AFE. No difference.

Just took another round trip from Houston to San Antonio. The drop in gas mileage is significant from summer to winter for my CX-5. Last summer I was getting in the 40's. If I remember right it was 43 to 45 mpg. This time my trip to San Antonio averaged 37 mpg. The return trip I got 34 mpg. So almost 10 less mpg. As I was heading out of Houston I stopped at Discount Tire. I had them air up the tires to 35psi. Maybe part of the difference is the tires. I had the original Yokohamas on the first trip.
In july I purchased new Yokohama tires. They were only sold at discount tire and made in the USA. I expected Japan. And they were rated a fuel efficient tire.
I have not noticed any difference in mixed driving though. I average 31.
Maybe wind. I've done as badly as 23mpg highway for several hundred miles before when there was 10-20mph wind gusts.

Back