Fuel Economy

My normal mostly highway driving, I get 30 to 31.5/mpg. If I do a lot of running around town, more stop and starts, it might drop to 28 / 29mpg. So, overall I'm pretty happy with the mileage I'm getting.

my current average mpg shows 21.8 mpg ...
about 400 miles on my 2017 mazda cx 5 sport awd

Haven't had my '17 through a winter yet but pleasantly surprised I'm getting about +1 MPG better than my '15 GT. Only tracked 5 fuel ups as I only have about 1300 miles. So far, so good...

27.7mpg on my last trip to Cripple Creek and Victor.

Averaging about 27 combined at the moment, will probably drop to 26.x though as it's been mostly city this week.

Mazda really needs to get on the game with 330e C350e and A3 e-Tron coming in and competing with Volt and Prius Prime and i3 Rex models.
They should try a wagon based on Mazda3 with diesel for long distance due to great mpg and electric battery pack with 35 miles of range for city. It would be ideal.
Add in a true sport mode and that would be amazing.
The 330e does 5.6 to 60 but has a very hefty tag of 50K+ with only 4k in rebates with a puny 14 miles range.

Mazda really needs to get on the game with 330e C350e and A3 e-Tron coming in and competing with Volt and Prius Prime and i3 Rex models.
They should try a wagon based on Mazda3 with diesel for long distance due to great mpg and electric battery pack with 35 miles of range for city. It would be ideal.
Add in a true sport mode and that would be amazing.
The 330e does 5.6 to 60 but has a very hefty tag of 50K+ with only 4k in rebates with a puny 14 miles range.

There's a hybrid version of the 3 sold in Japan. It uses Toyota hardware.

This 100 heat here in Charlotte is killing my gas mileage I'm down to 25 mpg from 27

Yeah same heat wave here in Maryland. Wonder if its more the crazy humidity and heat that makes the engine inefficient or running the AC so high. Probably just both. Either way, I am experiencing the same thing. Although not as much of a drop.

High heat will thin the air (seriously - google winter air drag), and fuel will vaporise more readily.

It's all down to the ac drag...

It takes around 20 HP to drive a 'typical' car thru the air at 65 mph.
The ac compressor will probably draw more than 5 hp...

I thought my mom would drop a lot running the AC lately. Surprised how little it's dropping. My last fill up was actually a little better then previous. I expect it to go down a little at the next. It simply has to.
Not that I care much, but this thread has me at least paying attention more then I normally do. LOL

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

I am at 26.7289 mpg on a 2.5L CX5, 2014 model. It has 51k on the clock and I am using Pirelli Scorpio Verde low resistance tires. I commute back roads to and from work at around 45 - 50 miles per hour. My fuel consumption, driving only highways for when I visit the outlaws is so much better but does not affect the overall consumption at the mileage the car has on it. The drive has been a pleasant one to be honest. The only thing still bothering me is the head unit. I would not purchase this brand again but that is because of the dealership and I ain't driving 80 miles to get my car checked at a different one. Next car will be electric, no ifs whens or buts.

Hey all. I purchased my 2014 CX-5 GT FWD in August of 2013. It has 35.5k miles on it. My last 3 fill ups have progressively gotten worse. 250mi, 225mi and today 220mi to the tank. I make a short 2mi highway commute every other day and drive a mile up to the gas station every morning. I don't go out much- having to be by my computer 14 hours a day on call sucks. That being said, do you see this improving by having the dealership do the two fuel system/injector cleaning services? I don't mind spending the $200 one time just to see if it works. If it doesn't, lesson learned. I just won't have it done again.

I have almost 500 miles of short distance driving on my 2017 Touring FWD and average mpg shows 24.

about 460 miles on my 2017 CX-5 AWD ...
the trip computer say I am getting 21.4 miles to the gallon ...

21 mpg is not bad if I consider the car is still in engine break in period ...
but I am driving very conservatively ... ( slow )

I am used to getting 21 mpg in my WRX ...
but the CX-5 AWD at 21 mpg makes me think a bit..

(uhm)

(uhm)
To be honest, 21 mpg on a CX-5 is low, but if you only have 460 miles so far, you are still very early in your ownership of the car that I'm sure it will improve. I would not trust the onboard computer calculations though. It is best to manually calculate it yourself by noting how many miles you drove and how many gallons you had to fill up.

Edit: I got 21 mpg a month or two ago with our CX-5 and I told my wife we should have gotten a Mazda6 instead LOL.

I have kept track of the dash read-out, and pump fill ups over 32,322.9 miles. Cumulative mpg for the pump is 28.6, for the dash it is 28.4, so I believe the dash read-out is fairly accurate. A lot of my driving has been highway, hence the higher average.

Agree 21 is low. Got my worst ever in this last tank. Heavy AC use. Just over 21.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

(uhm)
If you read all 198 posts in this 14 pages thread and you'll see some CX-5 AWD owners are getting your kind of gas mileage. Remember for CX-5 AWD it consumes more fuel than a CX-5 FWD than any other compact CUVs AWD vs. FWD. Many high MPGs claimed here are FWDs.

You should reset your computer on MPG readout. Then do the manual calculation while filling up the gas. Compare the two for several fill-ups and you'll get more accurate MPG figure for your CX-5.

In my case our 2016 CX-5 AWD was getting 26.5 mpg when new with all city driving; now settled at about 25.5~26.0 mpg. And remember CX-5 is very sensitive to the environment on MPG, and drive at 50~60 mph on the highway to get the best highway MPG. I use only Shell gas if that matters.

I got 26 mpg in winter with my new AWD CX-5. I'm consistently 28+, now. As good as my Impreza.

Are you all short trips, mountains, A/C on? What's your drive like?

I got 26 mpg in winter with my new AWD CX-5. I'm consistently 28+, now. As good as my Impreza.

Are you all short trips, mountains, A/C on? What's your drive like?
AC on and San Francisco terrain...
O will try and leave AC off from now on.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Back