Fuel Economy

nav525

:
2016 Mazda Cx-5 Touring
I wanted to get an idea of the fuel economy numbers you guys have been getting on your CX5's. I have a 2016.5 Cx-5 that now has about 5500 miles on it. I have been very disappointed by the MPG I'm getting on my daily commute. For context, I live in the suburbs and my daily commute to work is about 7 miles. Most of my driving is similar short distances. In this environment I've been averaging about 19 mpg. I also make a 120 mile trip to visit family every month or so and on these trips I average about 27 mpg. Driving on expressways I seem to get 25+. Are you guys seeing similar numbers? I don't expect to hit the EPA estimates on the dot but 19 seems low. Any tips on what I can do to improve the fuel economy?

After 3.5 k miles i am getting 28 ish. Not too happy but hoping oil change will make it better. If i hypermile which is a guaranteed way to die in DFW i think I will hit EPA.
Read a post on ecomodder that someone got 38 mpg on a road trip with Manual.

I wanted to get an idea of the fuel economy numbers you guys have been getting on your CX5's. I have a 2016.5 Cx-5 that now has about 5500 miles on it. I have been very disappointed by the MPG I'm getting on my daily commute. For context, I live in the suburbs and my daily commute to work is about 7 miles. Most of my driving is similar short distances. In this environment I've been averaging about 19 mpg. I also make a 120 mile trip to visit family every month or so and on these trips I average about 27 mpg. Driving on expressways I seem to get 25+. Are you guys seeing similar numbers? I don't expect to hit the EPA estimates on the dot but 19 seems low. Any tips on what I can do to improve the fuel economy?

Cold weather and short distances in the city will not lead to good mileage. When you drive, how long till the blue "cold" light goes off?

Colder weather, and the winter blend fuel make a drastic drop in fuel mileage. Although 19 is a bit concerning, how often do you idle? heavy foot driving? Defroster turned on?? (AC is on too!)

Another thing to consider is our automatic AWD system! It engages the rear clutches a bit tighter whenever the outside temp is below 32 and if we are using our wipers. That in itself would reduce fuel mileage. The only downfall of having a predictive, best in class, AWD system is it engages even when we don't need it to.

2015 2.5L CX5 AWD.

Worst road-trip MPG @22-23.
Best road trip MPG @29
Average road-trip MPG @ 28

Average daily use, 85% highway, 15% city, 23.5mpg.

Improvement over former vehicle, Grand Jeep Cherokee with HEMI: 10mpg on road-trips, 6mpg daily driving. The Jeep, however, did not CARE what was going on. It got 16-19mpg highway regardless. 80mpg with a wind hitting the face at 10-20mph? 16mpg, lol. Hemi don't care!

Last edited:
After 3.5 k miles i am getting 28 ish. Not too happy but hoping oil change will make it better. If i hypermile which is a guaranteed way to die in DFW i think I will hit EPA.
Read a post on ecomodder that someone got 38 mpg on a road trip with Manual.

I hypermiled and hit 31mpg highway in mine. People hated me. I almost died. It was stupid. I'll settle for 23-29mpg on the highway, it really depends on how hard wind is blowing with these tiny little motors in an SUV.

Cold weather and short distances in the city will not lead to good mileage. When you drive, how long till the blue "cold" light goes off?

Not sure. I'll have to check it out on my next drive, but I got the car in June when it was warm and I've basically been seeing the same numbers since then.

Colder weather, and the winter blend fuel make a drastic drop in fuel mileage. Although 19 is a bit concerning, how often do you idle? heavy foot driving? Defroster turned on?? (AC is on too!)

Another thing to consider is our automatic AWD system! It engages the rear clutches a bit tighter whenever the outside temp is below 32 and if we are using our wipers. That in itself would reduce fuel mileage. The only downfall of having a predictive, best in class, AWD system is it engages even when we don't need it to.
I've had the car since June when the weather was warm and have seen similar numbers since then. I do tend to drive with the defroster on when it's colder, usually on low though. Don't think I'm heavy footed and don't really idle. I'll try to turn the defroster off to see if that makes a difference. Thanks!

Improvement over former vehicle, Grand Jeep Cherokee with HEMI: 10mpg on road-trips, 6mpg daily driving. The Jeep, however, did not CARE what was going on. It got 16-19mpg highway regardless. 80mpg with a wind hitting the face at 10-20mph? 16mpg, lol. Hemi don't care!

This. My Ram 2500 with a Hemi got 9.9. Period.

I agree 19 is bad. I have never seen less than 24. Which was stop n go, school zone type.

My commute is short, all my driving is. Work is a 5 mile drive. My car isnt even warmed up until the halfway mark. Drive home is about the same, maybe a hair longer because I take a different route. If I meet up with friends or dine, its usually within 3 miles. I get about 20-22MPG with this driving.

Longer trips like to Reno from the bay area. Uphill to Reno is 28MPG. Downhill back from Reno 32MPG.

When I was driving 11 miles to work, I had 20-21 MPG in heavy LA traffic. Morning on the freeway to work, and afternoon on the street going home. So 19, is not that off.

And the winter MPG threads start! They go away with warmer weather.

- Winter blend gas is less energetic
- Cold engines use more gas as they warm up to temp
- Winter weather is often windy; wind has a big effect on mpg
- Tire pressure might be off spec

Meanwhile the EPA ratings...
- Conducted around 70 degrees in a lab
- No headwind
- Use pure gasoline and not a blend
- May have a different idea of 'city' and 'highway' driving...

Last edited:
Yup, mpg threads are very common around this time. I average around 27-28 and 40/60 hwy/city. You should absolutely not be hitting lower than 20 in the cx5 though. No matter the weather. Unless your trip to work is just a couple miles away, and you let your car warm for 10 minutes before driving. That's another reason though winter always brings out bad gas mileage. As if the weather doesn't hurt mpg enough, remember that idling your car to warm it up tremendously hurts gas mileage.

One thing I never do is complain about the mileage in our CX5. The last few weeks we've been in the freezer, -25 to -30C. (then add in the wind chill). It does spend the night in our garage. The wife does a lot of in town driving, warming up, the regular winter stuff, probably 70/30 city/hwy right now. I drove it the other day and it took a good 10 minutes for the blue light to go off. Of course when it's real cold, I fill the tank so she doesn't have to and I like to hit the reset button. The computer readout is at 9.0L/100km for the last couple tanks. I don't think I've ever seen consumption higher than that.
9.0L/100 kms..............26mpg US............31mpg CAN

Usually the driving style effects the mileage as much as the city/highway driving. When I drive like a suburban jerk, I get ~ 20 but, when I drive like a responsible adult I get 27 to 28. :))

I've had the car since June when the weather was warm and have seen similar numbers since then. I do tend to drive with the defroster on when it's colder, usually on low though. Don't think I'm heavy footed and don't really idle. I'll try to turn the defroster off to see if that makes a difference. Thanks!

Actually, that in itself is odd. The CX-5 gets terrible milage until the car is warmed up. I would say that most likely, your car never warms up properly during you commute and hence, you are stuck at 19 MPG.

Back