Poor gas mileage

:
2021 CX-30 Prem
Recently, I've noticed my gas mileage is pretty bad. With a mix of city/hwy driving I'm only getting on average 21-23 MPG. I have a 14' GT with about 55K and I just recently changed the tires which I thought might help, but if anything it's worse. I do use ARCO gas, which I know is not the best gas, but can that really affect gas mileage? Last time I brought my car into the dealer at 50K they did recommend a fuel injector cleaning, but the price was a little too high at that moment for me to do it, so I'm thinking maybe that's the cause? If so, I've heard you can buy liquid injector cleaners, but do those do any good, or is the only solution to pay to have the dealer go in to clean it. Or could I missing something else?

Thanks

Recently, I've noticed my gas mileage is pretty bad. With a mix of city/hwy driving I'm only getting on average 21-23 MPG. I have a 14' GT with about 55K and I just recently changed the tires which I thought might help, but if anything it's worse. I do use ARCO gas, which I know is not the best gas, but can that really affect gas mileage? Last time I brought my car into the dealer at 50K they did recommend a fuel injector cleaning, but the price was a little too high at that moment for me to do it, so I'm thinking maybe that's the cause? If so, I've heard you can buy liquid injector cleaners, but do those do any good, or is the only solution to pay to have the dealer go in to clean it. Or could I missing something else?

Thanks

There is nothing wrong with ARCO gas. It's "top-tier" these days anyway.
The fuel injector cleaning really won't do you any good.

The easiest thing to do is check your tire pressure, and think about your driving style.

Check your air filter if not replaced recently. Your getting the mileage most 2014 owners get with a lot of city driving.

Colder air means denser air, means more fuel required to maintain A/F ratio...
Colder temps decrease your tire pressures, so you need to adjust...
Winter Fuel blend used by gas companies decreases the fuel economy also...

Cleanings depending on the type and if done correctly do make a difference. Air Filter as stated and tire pressures are first on list to inspect. Your tires depending on what you put on could make a difference as well (both positively or negatively)

Driving habits really do make the biggest impact on fuel economy. When I worked for Honda I went on so many test drives with complaints for fuel economy. They always drove the car pretty hard...to drive for fuel economy and that alone...it amazes most on how aware you must drive.

I'm going with cold tires and lubricants are increasing rolling resistance. Winter gas is supposed to reduce mileage by about 2%; not enough to notice. Redline Fuel System Cleaner will actually clean port injectors and they told me it works on GDI, It won't hurt to try it. If you have ethanol in your fuel, try to avoid it. E10 gets 8 to 10% worse mileage in all my vehicles.

Colder air means denser air, means more fuel required to maintain A/F ratio...
Colder temps decrease your tire pressures, so you need to adjust...
Winter Fuel blend used by gas companies decreases the fuel economy also...
OP lives in California and he shouldn't have "colder" air issue like I do ⋯ :)

I know gas mileage on our CX-5 is worse during winter, 26F early this morning, but it won't let me feel too significant to complain.

I don't think driving style can be blamed for poor gas mileage. After all OP is complaining poorer gas mileage than he experienced before. His "driving style" shouldn't change suddenly which causes his recent poor gas mileage. I'd like to find out how much difference between OP's normal and "poor" gas mileage, before and after; and does it happen gradually or suddenly. May be the ARCO gas station OP normally use is having a batch of "bad" gas. Try to use "better" gas such as Shell or even Costco and see if gas mileage changes. Or if there's ethonal-free gas available, although I seriously doubt it would exist in California, use it. Follow all the suggestions, tire pressure to 38 psi, replacing air filter, and even trying some fuel system cleaner claimed for direct injection, etc. and see if it improves. I just don't think dealer's "fuel injector cleaning" job is worth the money as most dealers would also just pour in some fuel injector cleaner into the gas tank!

I was "shocked" to learn that ARCO gas is "top-tier" gasoline after hearing so many complaints from friends and family who are living in California! :)

I am in California too and I notice a difference with the 30 to 40 degree cold temps compared to the 110 to 118 degrees in the summer.

I am in California too and I notice a difference with the 30 to 40 degree cold temps compared to the 110 to 118 degrees in the summer.
Most friends and family of mine live in Bay Area, LA, and San Diego. The weather is nice and the temperature isn't changing too much! Didn't know just further north of Bay area the year-round temperature can be in much wider range especially 110~118F in the summer? That's even hotter than north Texas!

Most friends and family of mine live in Bay Area, LA, and San Diego. The weather is nice and the temperature isn't changing too much! Didn't know just further north of Bay area the year-round temperature can be in much wider range especially 110~118F in the summer? That's even hotter than north Texas!

Yes, big spread in temps here. The horseshoe at the upper end of the great Sacramento basin traps air between the Coastal range, and 2 volcanoes, Mt Shasta, and Mt Lassen.

An almost 90 degree temp spread from min/max keeps the HVAC guys busy year round! (cool)

I also agree with your Top tier stations, and was just this week forced to go to an ARCO station, where I too was surprised when I saw the "top tier" sign they are displaying now... Typically I stick with Costco, Shell, and Chevron in that order.

21-23 mpg is average for the GT (it's what I'm getting with mixed city/highway)....and has been since I bought mine new. To be honest, I expected a lot better when I bought mine, but now I just accept it.

Bon Scott

I used to get, 20-21 MPG with 11 miles driving one way. Now I'm getting 23, even over 24 now, since I drive 22 miles to work, compared to 11 miles before. All this, in very heavy driving.
I'm using Arco and Costco gas as well.

My average is 20-22 (display avg) and thats with a 93 tune and wot alot

I used to get, 20-21 MPG with 11 miles driving one way. Now I'm getting 23, even over 24 now, since I drive 22 miles to work, compared to 11 miles before. All this, in very heavy driving.
I'm using Arco and Costco gas as well.

I bet you could get it up to 27MPG if you drove 33miles.
Just imagine much gas you would save!

I work by the Rose Bowl and live in San Dimas. I should drive all the way to Glendale and back to my work place, and then I would have 33 MPG, great idea.

Agreed. This coupled with a very small gas tank leads to range anxiety.

This is the first I have ever heard about range anxiety outside an electric car that can't go over 100 miles...

How many gallon tank or How far do you wish you could go between fillups? 300 miles is not enough?

This is the first I have ever heard about range anxiety outside an electric car that can't go over 100 miles...

How many gallon tank or How far do you wish you could go between fillups? 300 miles is not enough?

No, my Corvette Z06 would do 475-500 miles on the freeway on a tank of gas. My CX-5 manages around 400 if I'm lucky.

I want more range.

That said, I wouldn't exactly say I have "anxiety" over it, just that I'm peeved the CX-5 doesn't have at LEAST an 18 gallon tank.

No, my Corvette Z06 would do 475-500 miles on the freeway on a tank of gas. My CX-5 manages around 400 if I'm lucky.

I want more range.

That said, I wouldn't exactly say I have "anxiety" over it, just that I'm peeved the CX-5 doesn't have at LEAST an 18 gallon tank.

Then get the new 2017 CX5 diesel!

You guys don't know what you are missing with that engine, it's a cracker.

7 litres/100km or 33mpg around town even including the regen cycle is easily obtained. Mine is sitting on 6.3L/100 kms at the moment (37mpg) with town driving and some 80km/hr runs to drop the wife to and from work about 15km away.

Back