Tow hooks?

i had to use the tiedowns to tow an infinity G35

I would not recommend pulling any car in a lateral direction or yanking it from a ditch. If my car was stuck in a ditch and I needed to be pulled out I would screw in the tow hook and have someone pull my car in a direction within a few degrees of the direction the car is pointed while applying power to the wheels.

In my case i needed to help a stranded friend and knowing the risks i used the tiedowns to pull his infinity, it was just a few miles and really slowly but my CX5 behave like a champ

In my case i needed to help a stranded friend and knowing the risks i used the tiedowns to pull his Infinity G35 , it was just a few miles and really slowly but my CX5 behave like a champ and at no point i felt any danger, this was an emergency still...

In my case i needed to help a stranded friend and knowing the risks i used the tiedowns to pull his Infinity G35 , it was just a few miles and really slowly but my CX5 behave like a champ and at no point i felt any danger, this was an emergency still...
The "danger" aspect is almost secondary to the damage you can do to your car. The body structure into which the hook is screwed is not designed for the stress of towing another vehicle.

I actually had my old cx5 bottom out and stuck teetertotering offroad. The tow driver refused to use the tow hook when i mentioned it specifically because it could damage the crash bar/front frame.. he ended up hooking around some reinforced attachment holes on the control arms. If you haver ever removed the bumper for some reason ( I habe st least thrice between both mine), you can see how the tow hook atatchment is a poor choice for pulling the car, given other available options. My own experience agrees with the manual, thats where I get my viewpoint.

A1Q6qFG.png

Last edited:
So let me get this straight. Mazdas sold in countries other than the United States come with these tow eyelets and they can be used for their intended purpose. But here in the States the same car doesn't include the eyelets and Mazda doesn't approve of using them as intended?

Clear as mud.

My salesman is shipping a pair of eyelets to me today. I hope that I never need them.

Back