i-stop stopped working after battery disconnected

Victor13

:
Mazda CX5 2016 Automatic
The i-stop have stopped working after removing the battery on a CX5 2016.
I've read that it needs to anilize the car before it starts to work again.
Its been more than a month.
I see the manual refers to a reset that might need to be done... but not how.

We don't get i-stop here so I'd try to make a guess. Try to play around the i-stop button to turn the system on and off. And try to press the i-stop button for more than 20 seconds with ignition on but engine not running which may reset the i-stop system like TPMS button.

the i-stop system needs to be reset

start the engine, press the i-stop off button, and the i-stop light will flash... let the engine continue running till the light turns off

Hi

Problem still persisting.
Struggled to get the i-stop light to flash.
End of the day, I got it flashing by switching the car on untill all lights are on on the dash. Then pressing the i-stop button till it beeps. Then starting the car. When I press the i-stop button again till it beeps the i-stop flashed green.
I waited for 20 minutes and it still did not switched off.
I tried again, this time I drove for 15 minutes. And still it kept flashing.

I went into the menus and found in the one screen the I-Stop with 3 icons. The middle one, that looks like a battery, never gets highlighted.

31400172222_d903745d59_c.jpg

Just went for a drive again... and all three icons highlighted.
The i-stop worked now for a number of stops and turning off the engine (while at the shops)
Seems the reset worked... a day later.
Thanks

Last edited:
⋯ I went into the menus and found in the one screen the I-Stop with 3 icons. The middle one, that looks like a battery, never gets highlighted.

31400172222_d903745d59_c.jpg
Just went for a drive again... and all three icons highlighted.
The i-stop worked now for a number of stops and turning off the engine (while at the shops)
Seems the reset worked...
Thanks
Glad your i-stop worked again and I really think Mazda should include the resetting procedure of i-stop in owner's manual! We also get to see something totally different on "Fuel Economy Monitor" by US CX-5 owners. I hope Mazda can introduce its unique i-stop to US customers in 2nd-gen CX-5, as Honda has already offered its Idle-Stop auto stop/start system in Pilot for a couple of years now!

I'd want to warn you, a bit.
What I've learned from past experiences, and yet again. There is a pass on cost to other systems.

While trying to figure out how to resolve this issue, without me having to book in the car for the whole day and be without transport. I've learned...
1 - The battery in the car is not a normal car battery. It can cost three time the price of a car battery and only have about the same life expectancy.
2 - The starter is also a different starter and can cost double the price of a normal starter. But just as a normal starter can last the life of the car.
I don't know if there are other things also.

Basicly, You do save petrol (gas) by the car shutting down at stops. But are the cost of petrol that are saved more than the increase in cost when it comes to maintenance?

Something interesting and useful...
You can brake without enabling the i-stop. i-stop only engages when the brake is completely pressed in. Useful when you do a quick stop, like at a stop street.
Lifting your foot slightly would also cause it to start up again, while the brakes are still engaged. Useful when you want full power/high revs when you lift your foot from the brake.

The i-stop worked for a short time before no longer working.
There is no other issue with the car.
I did a quick visit at the dealership and they could not identify why the i-stop is not working. The dealership wants me to book in the car for them to look at it, but I don't have the time. They claim it's because there is a two-way radio installed. (BS according to me)
Currently I just wrote off the i-stop and driving without it. They can look at it when I take the car in for a service in November.

32205617855_f95c2c2715_b.jpg

Hi, please let us know how this works out, I'm having the exact same issue. The problem came up when the battery was replaced, i-stop works for a day or two after the dealer resets it (or if I manually reset) but soon reverts into a perpetual "not ready" state with the battery icon never getting highlighted. Took it in twice already and the techs at the dealer keep saying that their instruments show that there is nothing wrong even if it is painfully obvious that this is not the case.

Back