Why do the headlights not turn on when you unlock the vehicle?

Not to hijack this thread (and I have tried search, as well as manually looking through the CX5 sub-forums), but does anyone know why our 2017 CX5 GT headlights still go on when the lights are on the "parking lamp" setting?

Our car has Off/Auto/Parking Lamps/Headlights modes. If I am reading the manual (page 4-52) correctly, when the "parking lamps" setting is selected and the car is ON, the headlight should not come on. Or is the headlight lighting up part of the DRL scheme?

DRL will turn on the moment the car moves regardless of what setting it is in (unless you disable it).

2017 CX-5 DRLs = LED Signature Accent Strips + LED Low-Beam Headlights

Not to hijack this thread (and I have tried search, as well as manually looking through the CX5 sub-forums), but does anyone know why our 2017 CX5 GT headlights still go on when the lights are on the "parking lamp" setting?

Our car has Off/Auto/Parking Lamps/Headlights modes. If I am reading the manual (page 4-52) correctly, when the "parking lamps" setting is selected and the car is ON, the headlight should not come on. Or is the headlight lighting up part of the DRL scheme?
Headlights in 2017 CX-5 are connected to DRL function hence the headlights will be on all the time while driving with your LED Signature accent strips both serve as DRLs. Mazda North American Operations strangely has made this change from 2016(.5)'s DRL design. Not much you can do other than contacting MNAO and NHTSA to complain and praying the LED headlights are more durable than 2016(.5)'s LED Signature accent strip DRLs.

2017 CX-5 drl question

2017 DRL/signal light emulation

Daytime running lights dim/flickering

Ah, I see. Thank you for this information! It just seems unnecessary if the DRL accents are already on and the headlights are wasting away all the time. In theory the LEDs should last a long time but still...

When you are parked and turn on the parking lights, the LED accent lights will come on but headlights off. As soon as you drive off, the headlights come on but at a reduced intensity. With parking lights on it'll also turn on the rear lights too. The headlight output is more intense when on full headlight mode. I've tried turning the lights to off while driving at night and the output decreased quite a bit while in its DRL mode.

BTW, on the subject of having headlights turn on when you unlock the car, it seems like mazda has fixed their configuration for the 2017 models. On previous models you will need to leave the headlights in the on position or parking light for that function to work. Now on the 2017 models, if you have that feature turned on it'll work on auto mode too. When you leave the headlight switch to off, the function is disabled. At least this is what I found on my 2017 GT model.

Back