Why do the headlights not turn on when you unlock the vehicle?

calebian21

:
2015 Subaru WRX
Okay so my question is this: Why do the headlights not turn on when you unlock the vehicle? Literally every vehicle I've driven that was a 2009 model or newer had this feature. Why does the CX-5 not have this being a 2015 model? Am I just missing a setting option perhaps?

If you're talking about daytime running lights (which are a function of the high beam circuit), they should work. Yours must have gotten turned off at some point and there is a way to reset them. Some one will be along shortly to tell you how (or you can have the dealer do it for you).

If you're talking about daytime running lights (which are a function of the high beam circuit), they should work. Yours must have gotten turned off at some point and there is a way to reset them. Some one will be along shortly to tell you how (or you can have the dealer do it for you).

No I mean the welcome lights or whatever they're called. Like when your car is parked and locked outside and you approach it and press the unlock button on the key fob, most cars low beam lights kick on as a "welcome light". I'm trying to figure out if there is a way to enable the welcome light feature on the CX-5.

Assuming you have non-tech, the only way to do it would be to leave your headlights in the "on" position.

Since they're not automatic lights and don't have an automatic setting (i.e., if it's in the automatic setting, lights will turn on at a certain level of darkness, and turn off if there's a certain level of brightness), we don't have this function.

And yeah, it sucks, but it's a way for Mazda to cut costs.

i dont know how to creare new thread does anyone know how to get smooth ride in a 2013 cx-5 ?

Assuming you have non-tech, the only way to do it would be to leave your headlights in the "on" position.

Since they're not automatic lights and don't have an automatic setting (i.e., if it's in the automatic setting, lights will turn on at a certain level of darkness, and turn off if there's a certain level of brightness), we don't have this function.

And yeah, it sucks, but it's a way for Mazda to cut costs.

Well then, that sucks. I had an 09 Silverado work truck that had higher tech features than my 15 Mazda.

i dont know how to creare new thread does anyone know how to get smooth ride in a 2013 cx-5 ?

You've posted this in three inappropriate places. Enuf! Learn how to post properly. It's not rocket science!

Can't speak to the 2015's but on my '16 there is an option in the settings to have welcome light or not. Check to see if there is a setting somewhere that just isn't on. Owners manual is a surprisingly good resource for this sort of thing.

Leave your lights in the on setting the lights will turn off in 30 sec. after engine is turned off..... when you approach the car and press the unlock on the fob, the lights will come on...

This works for me 2016.5 Grand Touring tech package..

Be sure to have the welcome light turned on by setting the check mark turned on in your lighting settings within the infotainment system.

Last edited:
Can't speak to the 2015's but on my '16 there is an option in the settings to have welcome light or not. Check to see if there is a setting somewhere that just isn't on. Owners manual is a surprisingly good resource for this sort of thing.

I'll have to check my settings when I get my car back and see if the welcome lights are on or not. Someone backed into me and it's currently getting repaired.

Yep, the 2015 Touring has no setting at all that I have been able to find to be able to have welcome lights.

this "feature" is a wonderful way for battery manufacturers to sell you more batteries sooner

Leave your lights in the on setting the lights will turn off in 30 sec. after engine is turned off..... when you approach the car and press the unlock on the fob, the lights will come on...

This works for me 2016.5 Grand Touring tech package..

Be sure to have the welcome light turned on by setting the check mark turned on in your lighting settings within the infotainment system.

yes exactly that's what you should do .. i try it before but i didn't open the car with the remote easy way keep your key in your bucket and press the button in the door handle is easy to get out your key and open everytime

I have no desire to have my headlights go on when I use the remote to unlock the doors. Another useless gimmick to be able to say "mine does this and your don't" :)) Ed

I am glad mine dont come on. To many times I'm in a parking lot and stop because I think someone is about to pull out. I think the worst is the GM cars that turn on the rear back up light. Back up lights come on, I stop because I dont want to get hit. After a minute I realize nobody will be backing up. Good call for mazda to not follow a trend.

I have no desire to have my headlights go on when I use the remote to unlock the doors. Another useless gimmick to be able to say "mine does this and your don't" :)) Ed

How is this a 'useless gimmick'? What about a situation in a dark parking lot/garage where a woman is walking up to her car and wants to make sure that there's no-one lurking around? Hardly useless.

I like the feature because I live in a rural area and do not have any dusk to dawn lights around my house because I hate them so I use the headlights on the car to see to get into the house. It is one of only 3 complaints that I have about the CX-5 thus far.

Back