Anyone feel like the 6 speed auto "hunts" or is in the wrong gear sometimes?

Do the transmission shift learning procedure.

My transmission has learned quite nicely. When I punch it off the line, it goes up to 5k+ rpm before shifting to 2nd. Shift to 3rd is 4K+. That is without sport, which raises those shift points another 1k.

It does tend to hold the higher gear a bit too long on hills, but a quick poke on the gas fixes that with a downshift pronto.

I think it needs more gears. Like I'm hoping Mazda can come up with a 8 speed auto trans in the future. There is almost a flat spot with the engine at around 4k-5k RPM. Before that, at around 2.5k to 3.5k it feels really strong, then it mellows out, then it picks back up once you get near redline. I'm not a transmission expert, but I'm guessing that if it had more gears, they can tune the car to be in the sweet spot more often in every gear. Also, it takes awhile to hit redline in any gear except 1st and 2nd; that's not fun to me. But this is a family crossover, so I'll take it for what it is.
I feel u man

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

My transmission has learned quite nicely. When I punch it off the line, it goes up to 5k+ rpm before shifting to 2nd. Shift to 3rd is 4K+. That is without sport, which raises those shift points another 1k.

It does tend to hold the higher gear a bit too long on hills, but a quick poke on the gas fixes that with a downshift pronto.

Interesting. So Sport in the diesel actually changes shift-points?

Interesting. So Sport in the diesel actually changes shift-points?

Huh? Who said anything about diesel?

I have a 2.5 L gas engine and the sport button does indeed change the shift-points to ~ 6k rpm. I use it occasionally on launch on a hill or a freeway ramp but find the "learned" shift-points are high enough for 98% of the time.

Huh? Who said anything about diesel?

I have a 2.5 L gas engine and the sport button does indeed change the shift-points to ~ 6k rpm. I use it occasionally on launch on a hill or a freeway ramp but find the "learned" shift-points are high enough for 98% of the time.

Ahhhh! Holy crap. Now all you sports mode lovers make sense. I get it now. Makes sense. See, the pre-sport mode cx5 isn't de-tuned. It cracks off red line-up shifts like a boss. The sport mode cars seem really detuned out of sport mode, and sport mode just restores normal function. Fyi, my cx5 shifts at red line in every gear. If yours isn't shifting 3-4 at redline, something is wrong. wrong . now all the I use sport mode before I pass someone" makes sense. Does your gas pedal have the extra give at the bottom? If not, then that's what happened. Sport mode used to be that last bit of pedal travel, ie, flooring it. Now it's a button.i

Ahhhh! Holy crap. Now all you sports mode lovers make sense. I get it now. Makes sense. See, the pre-sport mode cx5 isn't de-tuned. It cracks off red line-up shifts like a boss. The sport mode cars seem really detuned out of sport mode, and sport mode just restores normal function. Fyi, my cx5 shifts at red line in every gear. If yours isn't shifting 3-4 at redline, something is wrong. wrong . now all the I use sport mode before I pass someone" makes sense. Does your gas pedal have the extra give at the bottom? If not, then that's what happened. Sport mode used to be that last bit of pedal travel, ie, flooring it. Now it's a button.i

You didn't even know what was going on with these CX-5s that have sport mode and now you know that all of these cars that have sport mode have been detuned? You really are amazing with all that muscle mass and knowledge, wow.

You didn't even know what was going on with these CX-5s that have sport mode and now you know that all of these cars that have sport mode have been detuned? You really are amazing with all that muscle mass and knowledge, wow.

Yep, had no clue that you couldn't use the engine to the full potential without pressing the sport-mode button.

That's because it's a gutless vehicle that weighs 3500#, lol!

I wouldn't call the CX-5 gutless. Pound for pound it has plenty more torque than my Integra. 185 lb-ft from a N/A gasoline 4-banger is quite good. The 2014 Touring comes in at 3,375 pounds, which is about 18 pounds per lb-ft of torque. My Integra has nearly 21 pounds per lb-ft of torque.

I wouldn't call the CX-5 gutless. Pound for pound it has plenty more torque than my Integra. 185 lb-ft from a N/A gasoline 4-banger is quite good. The 2014 Touring comes in at 3,375 pounds, which is about 18 pounds per lb-ft of torque. My Integra has nearly 21 pounds per lb-ft of torque.

Integras are gutless, too. They are/were very sexy for their time and I love cars like that, but yes, they are gutless. Doesn't mean I wouldn't love to have a little teggy as a DD. I've actually contemplated a 2000-2001 GSR or Prelude SH before, but then, that's going back into the same pit my 2001 G20 SR20DE was. It's 15 years old and going to break often enough that a new GT350 would end up costing the same on a per-month basis over the course of a year, so screw it, it's just not worth it, and my CX-5 continues to perform daily drudgery quite well, as guts are not required in excess of what it has to get from A) to B) safely.

That said, an Integra GSR would Malcolm X prison scene abuse a CX-5 in a contest of speed/acceleration.

Also, UNLIKE the CX-5, the GSR gets its stated mpg in real reviews.

With 25,552 miles on the odometer between Arizona and New Mexico, we sustained 110 mph for 50 miles and still got 30 mpg. A lot of things about this little bomber make it ideal as your own private One-Lapper.
http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...-test-review-my-own-private-one-lapper-page-2

110mph...still hitting EPA highway rating. Screw you Mazda.

Last edited:
What people are describing, with upshifts at 5,000 rpm, that's what you get if you don't press the gas pedal down into the 'kickdown' button. Shove that pedal down ALL the way, and the tranny will shift at 6,200 rpm.

When I try to pick up speed, it is slow. I believe that, they programmed it this way on purpose, to save gas.
Usually I just downshift with the paddles, sometimes even two gears, to pick up speed much faster.
U have paddle shifters?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Learning how the transmission works as GAXIBM suggested. Ed

I was suggesting the shift learning procedure that is documented in the service manual and in other transmission threads on this site. I don't remember the exact procedure but to a warmed up car you move the shift leaver several times back and forth to allow the electronic controls to sink up and adjust to the space/engagement times in the clutch packs. It is also referenced in some TSBs.

Yes I have, because I retrofitted it. There are others, not just me. Japanparts sells a kit. Though, I have bought the components, from different sources. Next step is, to get the Kenstyle shifter paddles(Japanparts).

Integras are gutless, too. They are/were very sexy for their time and I love cars like that, but yes, they are gutless. Doesn't mean I wouldn't love to have a little teggy as a DD. I've actually contemplated a 2000-2001 GSR or Prelude SH before, but then, that's going back into the same pit my 2001 G20 SR20DE was. It's 15 years old and going to break often enough that a new GT350 would end up costing the same on a per-month basis over the course of a year, so screw it, it's just not worth it, and my CX-5 continues to perform daily drudgery quite well, as guts are not required in excess of what it has to get from A) to B) safely.

That said, an Integra GSR would Malcolm X prison scene abuse a CX-5 in a contest of speed/acceleration.

Also, UNLIKE the CX-5, the GSR gets its stated mpg in real reviews.

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...-test-review-my-own-private-one-lapper-page-2

110mph...still hitting EPA highway rating. Screw you Mazda.

Well I thought the CX-5 might be almost as fast as the GSR, but I guess not. It's a little over a second slower in the 1/4 mile, compared to the best time I ever posted of 15.01 seconds back in the day when it was nearly bone stock (and still is). The CX-5 feels faster down low, though. It probably is quicker to 40 MPH than the Integra.

As far as cost... in recent years I've only spent around $1,000 per year on the Integra. TOTAL. Gas, insurance, oil, repairs, registration, everything. It's been paid off 15 years now and while it needs repairs every now and then, it's been super reliable overall. The car payment alone on our CX-5 far outweighs the Integra's total annual cost.

I've noticed on several occasions our 2014 2.5L feels like it's in the wrong gear. Instances include when the road grade starts up a small incline, or when I slow down in traffic, then press the accelerator pedal lightly to get going again. I try to be easy on the pedal, not flooring it or anything. Yet sometimes it feels like the gearbox is slow to downshift, and so the car feels sluggish as the gear is too high for the speed I'm going. So then I have to press the pedal a little more to make it downshift and get going again.

I'm not sure if this is a side effect of having a 6 speed gearbox or what. Our old Corolla with 4-speed auto never really felt like that. I feel like the 2.5L has more than enough torque, way more than my high strung Integra engine does, when the gearbox gear is low enough. But if the gear is too high for a particular road speed, it just feels totally gutless.

When I try to pick up speed, it is slow. I believe that, they programmed it this way on purpose, to save gas.
Usually I just downshift with the paddles, sometimes even two gears, to pick up speed much faster.

correct. unfortunately it is tuned this way to save fuel. I hear that the shift mapping of the 2017 model has been much improved in this regard.

on this highway, if i am going less then 120KM/H i use fifth gear for better response. it does not reduce MPG whatsoever.

Its tuned to save gas. Also its throttle by wire which further expands the delay. Oh and it has tall gearing. Def a big change from your Integra lol.

You have to downshift by quickly stepping into the pedal or use manual mode. Newer models have sport mode which holds on the gears longer for you.

Now this might be a placebo effect but after redlining the car a bit the tuning changes away from that stock eco mode. Teach that ECU LOL.

the transmission does indeed have tall gearing, but the final drive ratio for the Mazda 6 at least is very short. the first gear is very, very short.

the gearing feels way too tall for full throttle pulls, but it's brilliantly tuned for revving throughout the rev range. this thing really goes when you rev it to 3-4k.

the ECU does learn based on your driving habits.

Mine drives like I do a manual. Love it. It's literally the first automatic I've driven (including 370Z, Jeep Grand Cherokee, Mustang GT, etc.) that I don't think is absolutely worthless.

I agree. it's almost as good as BMW's 8 speed auto. the way it locks up makes the car feel very responsive.

I think it needs more gears. Like I'm hoping Mazda can come up with a 8 speed auto trans in the future. There is almost a flat spot with the engine at around 4k-5k RPM. Before that, at around 2.5k to 3.5k it feels really strong, then it mellows out, then it picks back up once you get near redline. I'm not a transmission expert, but I'm guessing that if it had more gears, they can tune the car to be in the sweet spot more often in every gear. Also, it takes awhile to hit redline in any gear except 1st and 2nd; that's not fun to me. But this is a family crossover, so I'll take it for what it is.

I don't feel any flat spot with this engine at all, it pulls steady like a brick all the way to it's rev limiter for me. the 6 speed is well calibrated regardless, but I do agree that a 7-8 speed would make this car considerably faster while improving fuel economy.

Back