Brake Light Switch code and other lighting issues

:
Mazda Protege5
So with my CEL, I got the code for a brake light switch. My mechanic replaced mine and shortly after I noticed my lights would not come on. I was out of town so I couldn't get it checked till like a week after. He saw my vehicle yesterday and figured the problem was the switch itself (cheaply made, bad) it was also late so we couldn't get our hands on a new one. I went back today as he had another replacement and that one worked for a couple times then he said it got burnt out. Wasn;t working anymore. He'll be getting another by tomorrow afternoon and seeing if it happens again. If so he says something might be wrong with or near the cruise control since mine does have CC. Any thoughts or similar issues you guys have run into or heard about?

Also I've noticed that when I raised both windows at the same time, my lights flicker and at times when I turn on my lights, the dash doesn't light up right away. It comes on after a few maybe a minute or two the latest.

There is two separate brake switches for the brake light and cruise control. One shouldn't have anything to do with the other.

EDIT... There's two separate switches (or it's a single pole double throw switch) but they are combined into one switch internally... So a bad switch could effect both circuits.

The brake switch should blow a fuse way before it burns out.

You may have an aftermarket piece of crap switch that burned out or just broke apart. ??

It might be one of those parts where you need the OEM version.

Make sure you have the proper 15 Amp fuse installed and not a 60 Amp or something. (fuse #19)

It's pretty much normal to have your lights dim while closing both windows.
The window motors draw a lot of power and really strain the electrical system.
In fact, the owners manual says to only operate a maximum of two windows at once... three or all four at once can blow the 100 Amp main fuse.

I don't know why you have a time delay for your dash lights. Perhaps a bit of dirt in your dimmer switch.

Try rolling your dimmer switch from max to min a bunch of times... It might help cleanup the contacts.

Last edited:
Took it to a repair shop and had them diagnose and look for the problem and came back with another three digit number for cost. Basically according to them, I have a bad fuse box/damage somewhere. Calling Mazda, they're around $370 plus tax. So...what options do I have here. I have the engine code for brake light switch so that's an issue. Not sure if eBay or the junkyards will yield good results. Thoughts?

Back