Replacing coils in a 2014 when changing spark plugs

Toller

:
2014 CX9 Touring
it was recommended to me to save some grief and labor by replacing the rear coils when replacing the spark plugs at 60,000 miles.

My dealer says that they have never replaced any coils on a CX9; so it is probably pointless. He is turning down some nice business, so I can't see him lying to me about it, but I just don't know. The guy who told me to replace them doesn't have any reason to lie either. Perhaps one is confused.

Any advice here?

IMHO, coils don't need replacing at this time. They should last longer than 60k. If you want to do it, do it at the next spark plug change (100-120k).

Usually only time when you want to replace coils is when you start getting misfires and the misfires aren't going away with spark plug replacement.

I asked 2 other dealers (I had to call around to find someone to change my transfer case oil...) They also thought it was a strange thing to do. Thanks.

Coils are not regular maintenance items. Period. Nor are they that hard to get to. If you want to spend your money, it certainly won't hurt.

I had 2 misfires on my 9. Cylinder 6 at 36k miles and cylinder 2 at 63k miles. They were both caused by the coils. As far as bank one coils I read that this is caused by the whey they are angled down and water can get into the coils causing a misfire. If they are not giving you any problems leave them for now. When the time comes you can order densos which according to rock auto are the oem part for the mazda for 60 bucks a piece.

Tip: You should NEVER clean your engine. You should clean areas your are working on with a blast of air and a dry rag, but no water. Ever.

The article that I read this on said that the water gets on the coils from going through a puddle and water splashing on them sometimes. This is for all of the mazdas due to the way the spark plug and coils are angled on a downward slope. Now I see a puddle and I go very slow not like before. I would never clean the engine with water. That was done on the cars of the olden days.

Back