CKP Wire Routing

chipskunk

:
2002 Mazda Protg5
Hey guys - my 2002 Protg5 has been having issues and I think I've located the problem but need help with the solution.

The problem has been that the car - once warmed up - will jerk when RPM's are at or below ~2500. If I can keep RPM's higher, it isn't a problem (I can still feel smaller jerks, just no danger of stalling).

The jerk is pretty violent if the speed is low enough (at higher speeds I think the momentum of the flywheel dampens the effect quite a bit). I've seen codes P0455 and P1250 and have replaced the gas cap and verified the PRC solenoid is working properly. Next on my list was to inspect the Purge Solenoid Valve, but yesterday a new code came on: P0335 - Crankshaft Position (CKP) Sensor Error.

After locating the sensor I saw that the cable connected to it had become pinched between a pulley and the engine housing. I could also see that the pulley had worn through the outer jacket, through a green sleeve and down to bare wire. After I moved the cable so that it was no longer touching the pulley and started the car, the CEL was off. I suspect that if this would intermittently short the sensor and give false readings, the engine could quickly try to compensate for a bad position reading and cause the stalling and jolting that I experienced.

I also noticed two brackets attached to the CKP sensor's wire. Neither of them were attached to the surroundings, so the wire and brackets were free to move a bit. One of the dangling brackets was also dangerously close to the toothed wheel that the CKP sensor watches as the crankshaft turns. I'm confident that the cable getting pinched by the pulley is due to the fact that it isn't being routed as designed with those brackets. My solution is to get some tape or heat shrink around the worn part of the cable (it's not in TERRIBLE shape...) and install the brackets so that the cable is routed safely away from the pulleys.

My problem now is that there are many little bolts down there and I can't figure out where these brackets are supposed to be mounted or in what orientation. Would anyone be able to post pictures of how yours are mounted? I'm also having a hard time reaching my hands down to the sensor and cable - what's the best way to get at this area? Remove belts (which ones)? Remove the wheel well cover?

Thanks for any advice!

Back