I haven't found a pause function for either Bluetooth or Sirius/XM. Is there one?

gavinmckenzie

:
Mazda CX-9 GT (2016)
I just took delivery of a 2016 CX-9 GT. Previous vehicle was a 2009 Mazda 6 GT.

After searching through the infotainment system and the manual, I think I've concluded that there is no way to pause playback of either Bluetooth audio or Sirius/XM audio. I know I can mute, but I'm accustomed to being able to pause/resume satellite radio, and pause/resume BT audio.

Is there something I'm missing?

I can't see how there would be a pause for the SAT radio or the Bluetooth, as those are STREAMING to your car. You would have to pause the device that is streaming them.

Pausing satellite radio is a fairly common function of receivers. The unit will have a modest amount of memory that it will use to capture and buffer the stream when you are pausing, and then you can resume playback from the point where you paused while the live stream continues to buffer. My 2009 Mazda 6 had this feature.

EDIT: And pausing BT just sends a pause message to the device, which is a function included in the BT audio profile.

EDIT 2: One more note. Part of the way satellite radio works is by the receiver effectively buffering 4-8 seconds of the stream from two different sources: one from the satellite, and one from a terrestrial transmitter which is broadcasting a signal offset by a few seconds. In this way the unit can compensate for momentary dropouts of data from the satellite stream. So, the unit is always buffering a few seconds anyway.

Last edited:
Back