Black Steel Wheel & End Cap Cover advice needed

Kedis82ZE8

'15 CX-5 AWD GT w/Tech Pkg
Contributor
So picked up some cheap dust covers at O'Reilly Auto but not going to work as it tapers inward around the hub bolt. Appears to be around 2.5".

Should I just lather up with anti-seize so it doesn't rust or does someone have some other options? Not really worried about look because of the obvious... these are steel black wheels. I can't seem to find any caps that might work. I am just looking for something that protects area and mitigates rusting as this area is now more exposed.

IMG_6599.JPG

I thought about these for a short period but don't offer real protection and might have considered if black. I don't think they would look right.

s-l1600.jpg

Thanks!

EDIT: These are for the "16 Blizzak DM-V2s I have for winter.

Last edited:
Got any friends who have a 3D printer? It would be fairly easy to design and print the covers/caps. If not, I might be able to do them for you but I would need a few measurements from you.

I do have a Tiko 3D on order but probably not up for this use case.

I would definitely be interested. Let me know which specific measurements would help. Feel free to PM me as well.

Thanks!

You should get the little shiny dome cap like on vws and cop cars.

Silv3rCX5 : That would probably work. I have a couple new cans of that I picked up a few years back. It would probably peel off the threads fairly easily if something needed to be service in hub area.

French Snowie: Ok... I wouldn't be opposed to that.

Chris_Top_Her: I hadn't thought of that. Something like these?

usw-c52_w_ml.jpg

What did you end up doing here? I am actually interested in the same tire/wheel combination and have been debating between 16" and 17" steel wheel for my winter setup. How does the cars handle with the 16s? I was worried that it would become a sloppy mess with how tall those sidewalls would be. Is there any chance you could post up a picture with them installed? Thanks.

First off...maybe I should start another thread... "who has the dirtiest CX-5?" The snow and rain hasn't done it any favors. I'm taking it for 2 weeks up into the snow so not gonna bother trying to wash it now.
EDIT: Please reach out to rsvinylgraphics if you have a similar need. Very happy with his work!!!

rsvinylgraphics made me some custom 3D printed caps. Thanks! :)

Issue addressed for me on that piece. They feel a lot more like truck tires but handling still seems decent. Not as crisp as the all seasons though. I'll try to get a distance picture tomorrow from a few angles. These show the covers too.

IMG_6628.JPG

IMG_6629.JPG

IMG_6630.JPG

IMG_6631.JPG

IMG_6632.JPG

IMG_6633.JPG

IMG_6634.JPG

IMG_6635.JPG

IMG_6636.JPG

IMG_6639.png

IMG_6640.JPG

Last edited:
This end cap looks nice. Is it made of plastic?

Also, I was wondering why don't you use factory chrome lug nut which has a cap so that the thread of lug bolt don't get exposed to the environment?

Why do your front wheel arch moldings appear shiny???

I think you are seeing a combo of water and road de-icer. Like I said this thing is filthy right now and with 2 weeks in the snow, slush and ice ahead I'm not gonna bother with a wash.

Also, I was wondering why don't you use factory chrome lug nut which has a cap so that the thread of lug bolt don't get exposed to the environment?

Seller threw in the lug nuts that were included from TireRack so I just used them here. I might just put a dab of grease or anti-sieze on the ends if corrosion becomes an issue.

We weren't sure on thread pitch so rsvinylgraphics left them unthreaded. I was just careful threading them on the first time and they are fine. I really like him.

What did you end up doing here? I am actually interested in the same tire/wheel combination and have been debating between 16" and 17" steel wheel for my winter setup. How does the cars handle with the 16s? I was worried that it would become a sloppy mess with how tall those sidewalls would be. Is there any chance you could post up a picture with them installed? Thanks.

I have 17" on my winter set up. So far so good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back