Remote Start

machster

:
2002 Protege LX
I have a new 2016 CX-9 GT and would like to have a remote start system installed. The dealer was bashing the smart phone option that Mazda offers. Has anyone had success with an aftermarket remote start system?

I have a new 2016 CX-9 GT and would like to have a remote start system installed. The dealer was bashing the smart phone option that Mazda offers. Has anyone had success with an aftermarket remote start system?

I've talked to 2 diff dealers and 1 dealer recommended the mazda mobile start while the other recommended an aftermarket remote starter. I heard a lot of negatives on the mazda mobile start plus the $65 yearly subscription so for me that's out of the question. I've had a compustar remote starter/alarm before and worked great (2way remote so you get confirmation vehicle has started). The other Mazda dealer That recommended the after market actually installs compustar brands so definitely would consider this option.

If you get the Mazda Mobile Start, you get two horrific receivers attached to the passenger window as shown.

IMG_7886.JPG
IMG_7883.JPG
IMG_7884.JPG

remote start should not require a subscription and all this unncessary crap

it should be standard by now in this class and price car. one of the low points of the cx9 and overall mazda in general. all competitors of current cx5 and cx9 have android auto and apple car play and actual real remote start systems included

the best bet for us is aftermarket

That's the antenna??? Oh dear God why?

If that's the "price" of factory start I'd take the $65 a year times how many years you're going to own it and go aftermarket. I have a simple one way in mine. Does the trick, along with some stupid things like you can't unlock the car with the key fob with it running (only the "request" buttons work) and it only has a ten minute run time... whatever.

Had a super high end viper in an old pre-owned escape that did everything but drive the car to your front door. I loved that one but would never have bought a five hundred + dollar starter.

WTF? Had I asked for that and seen it, I would tell them to take it back immediately. That doesn't look good at all!

remote start should not require a subscription and all this unncessary crap

it should be standard by now in this class and price car. one of the low points of the cx9 and overall mazda in general. all competitors of current cx5 and cx9 have android auto and apple car play and actual real remote start systems included

the best bet for us is aftermarket

Totally agree with you that it should be standard like in the Honda Pilot...the only drawback with these built in standard OEM remote starters are the range is limited as in between 100-200 ft range and are only 1-way. I actually wouldn't mind installing an aftermarket that costs approx $500 that has a superior range in 3000-5000ft range and 2-way that gives confirmation vehicle has started plus the antennas are not hideous!

Just read the reviews in the app. store (iphone) for the Mazda Mobile App. Mazda should be embarrassed to put out such a product. The reviews were so bad, I had to stop reading them. And the App was introduced on June 11, 2015 and Mazda has never updated it. Shameful.

Just read the reviews in the app. store (iphone) for the Mazda Mobile App. Mazda should be embarrassed to put out such a product. The reviews were so bad, I had to stop reading them. And the App was introduced on June 11, 2015 and Mazda has never updated it. Shameful.

I read them also, but really wanted the capability and didn't want to pay for separate install after I took receipt of the car. Quite honestly, it's not all that slow for me. It takes about 20 seconds for me to login and then another 20 seconds to start the car. I think it's all related to the quality of the signal in your area. The system uses RF telemetry frequency (not cell service) which likely varies by area. It also is a two way system which confirms if the command was received and activated.

The interface, while basic, gets the job done.

Latest posts

Back