Insufficient coolant temp?

HA-Y-N

:
2003 mazda protege lx
Hello Mazda peeps!! So, after installing my headers and deleting my vtcs system my coolant temp has been very, low almost never reaches half way and is usually right around the C on the gauge. I installed hotter plugs which deffinately smoothd out the power band but it didn't effect the temp. Any ideas whats going on? i think it may just be the headers letting too much exhaust through causing low low combustion temps. let me know if anyone has ever experienced this.
Thanks!

If the coolant temp isn't reaching half way up the gauge and staying there you likely need to replace your thermostat. Especially now that the weather is colder it will be more noticeable. If you go down a long hill does the needle drop?

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

I have already changed the thermostat. I used OEM temp and one step colder on the thermostat with no change. I also tried gutting my thermostat but none of the above increased operating temperatures. I live in Hawaii so we don't get cold weather anyways. the only time it ever reaches operating temperature is when it idles at a stop for over 5 minutes, then as soon as I begin driving it goes back down to Cold.

An OEM temp thermostat should be about 90 deg Celsius which should register and hold at just under halfway on the temp gauge, a colder thermostat will open earlier and therefore your temp gauge will read lower gutting your thermostat would allow the coolant to flow out to the rad at all times causing very low temps.

yeah that is correct. I started off with a gutted thermostat and began to work my way up as my temp was too low. Regardless I got the same results with all three set ups.

I'm guessing that your temp sensor has a poor ground or the sensor itself is the incorrect resistance. Maybe with the engine bay temp rising at a long idle it gets a good connection or the expansion and contraction allows the circuit to operate properly again.

That is definitely a possibility. I totally overlooked the actual sensor itself. I will inspect the sensor next.

I would guess the sensor is malfunctioning or the fan is staying on all the time. That is if the thermostat is functioning properly.

Back