OEM all weather mats vs. Weathertech

LarryB78

:
2016.5 CX-5 GT AWD + Tech
thoughts or suggestions on which ones to purchase greatly appreciated - weathertech almost double the price but are they worth it? thanks

I have the OEM bought from a local Mazda dealer (with 15%-off coupon). They're good enough and fit properly. For twice the price I wouldn't buy the Weathertech.

The oem rubber mats only cover the floor whereas the weathertechs are floor liners and offer much more protection up the sides of the foot well. I would go with weathertechs or something similar like husky liners or Aries/3D floor liners, they just offer better protection all around. I went with the weathertechs and really like them

20161130_124710.jpg The other photos were to large to upload hope this helps

I've owned tons of brands of car floor mats / liners / slush mats (weathertech, husky, oem, etc) but I recently bought Maxpider brand and they are FAR superior to any brand I've ever tried. They look nice, fit perfectly, don't move around at all when installed, easy to remove, clean up easily, and are great quality. I will never go back to any others. I think the brand I bought were called 3D Maxpider all weather floor mats. They have a few different "models", so I'm not sure if they are all equally as awesome or not. If you are in the market I suggest you try them!

https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)

https://www.partcatalog.com/maxpider-kagu-rubber-floor-mats.html

I've owned tons of brands of car floor mats / liners / slush mats (weathertech, husky, oem, etc) but I recently bought Maxpider brand and they are FAR superior to any brand I've ever tried. They look nice, fit perfectly, don't move around at all when installed, easy to remove, clean up easily, and are great quality. I will never go back to any others. I think the brand I bought were called 3D Maxpider all weather floor mats. They have a few different "models", so I'm not sure if they are all equally as awesome or not. If you are in the market I suggest you try them!

https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)

https://www.partcatalog.com/maxpider-kagu-rubber-floor-mats.html

Looks good. When did you get these? There seems to be some question on Amazon of a redesign and there being no more lip around the gas pedal cutout to keep water on the mat. The Aries mats also look good.

thanks guys - as it turns out there were some hiccups with taking delivery of my cx-5 and with enough bitching i got them to throw in the OEM mats so for free we'll see how they hold up!

I bought the WeatherTech, and am very happy with them. Worth the money as I use them year round and they look brand new once I wash them with dish soap. The fit is great but wish the left foot piece ran up higher. Looking back, the 3D MAXpider Front Row Custom Fit All-Weather Floor Mat for Select Mazda CX-5 Models - Kagu Rubber that madar mentioned might be better than the WeatherTechs as I see that the left foot piece runs up higher.

I bought just the front set of Weather Techs for my CX, and they could honestly be better. When I go to set into the vehicle, the slide around about a half an inch. The issue is that they only attach in the 2 points where the OEM mats did, and these 2 points are simple holes in the carpet and not anchors on the floor plan. I wish I had purchased the Husky Liners over them. Husky has dimples on the entire underside, which I would imagine gives the mats a much more stable feeling when getting in.

I bought just the front set of Weather Techs for my CX, and they could honestly be better. When I go to set into the vehicle, the slide around about a half an inch. The issue is that they only attach in the 2 points where the OEM mats did, and these 2 points are simple holes in the carpet and not anchors on the floor plan. I wish I had purchased the Husky Liners over them. Husky has dimples on the entire underside, which I would imagine gives the mats a much more stable feeling when getting in.
I bought the WeatherTech, and am very happy with them. Worth the money as I use them year round and they look brand new once I wash them with dish soap. The fit is great but wish the left foot piece ran up higher. Looking back, the 3D MAXpider Front Row Custom Fit All-Weather Floor Mat for Select Mazda CX-5 Models - Kagu Rubber that madar mentioned might be better than the WeatherTechs as I see that the left foot piece runs up higher.
For the price I don't think WeatherTech floor liners are worth the money. Not only they have covered only half of the dead pedal, but also:

The Weathertech are great in every aspect... Except for one thing. They didn't raise the plastic to prevent dirt from filling the base of the throttle pedal. Stupid flaw.
I couldn't agree more. I purchased the Weather Tech liners because I've had great experiences in the past, but how they designed the liner by the gas pedal is a HUGE flaw. We park on a slight incline and any water held in by the liner, drains right into the gas pedal area flooding the carpet underneath. If there is any standing water on the mat, eventually it will flow into that area which does not have a lip.....completely useless.

I bought the Maxpider 3D carpeted version and couldn't be happier. I had the Mazda All Weather OEM Mats and wasn't impressed with them, they ripped within 5 months right along the edge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I bought the Maxpider 3D carpeted version and couldn't be happier. I had the Mazda All Weather OEM Mats and wasn't impressed with them, they ripped within 5 months right along the edge.

When did you purchase yours? How is the coverage near the gas pedal and the left dead pedal?

I've had both Huskyliners and WeatherTech's. For the price, Huskyliners are superior. I think they actually fit better, cover up farther in the firewall, and are cheaper. Just my .02

When did you purchase yours? How is the coverage near the gas pedal and the left dead pedal?

I bought them about 6 months ago, they have pretty good coverage by the gas pedal and cover the dead pedal. It's kinda hard to see from the pics but there is a lip near the gas pedal.
4db951da2c79bc12e47dca1a15bf9a03.jpg
f76a0d28ae415786577f03901196f9e7.jpg

Maxpider 3D has changed the design and it doesn't have the lip near the gas pedal anymore. It does cover whole dead pedal though.
Well I just received my 3D maxpider Kuga liners today and once again I am disappointed. It appears that I either got mats that were miss cut or they changed the design of the drivers side liner. I went with the 3D's over the weathertech because of the extra "lip" near the gas pedal. figured it capture a bit more winter gunk and what not but the liner I received did not have the lip like all the pictures show and what other members picture show. I'm in contact with U-ACE as we speak trying to figure it out. If it is a design change, I don't know if I should keep the weathertechs or the 3D's. The 3D fits better all around the edges but as zero lip at the gas pedal, it also covers the whole dead pedal. The Weathertechs fit much poorer then expected, only cover half the dead pedal but so have a small lip at the gas pedal area.

Here's some pics of the 3D mat missing the lip:
attachment.php

I bought them about 6 months ago, they have pretty good coverage by the gas pedal and cover the dead pedal. It's kinda hard to see from the pics but there is a lip near the gas pedal.
4db951da2c79bc12e47dca1a15bf9a03.jpg
f76a0d28ae415786577f03901196f9e7.jpg

Maxpider 3D has changed the design and it doesn't have the lip near the gas pedal anymore. It does cover whole dead pedal though.

attachment.php

It appears that the mat in the top pics are Maxpider classic carpet and the bottom pic is Maxpider Kagu rubber? As noted the rubber doesn't come close enough to the gas peddle but the carpeted version doesn't look much better.

Last edited:
I don't think it really matters how much of a lip the mats have. Due to the design of the gas pedal, no matter what, anything on your shoe is going to run down the pedal and collect at the base of it. It really doesn't matter if there is a lip there or not. The only thing the small lip might help with is to keep anything that's built up in your floor mat from getting pushed to the base of the pedal. I've had a bit of small gravel and some dirt form at the base of the pedal but the mats perform perfectly otherwise. There is no 100% protection, just vacuum it out occasionally and you'll be fine.

Back