'16 CX-9 Remote Start?

Functionality aside, Mazda does have their smart phone remote start. So you might be asking for an upgrade of that system instead of a new one?

Let's be fair, Fortin does not recommend end user installs. Their site, instructions and programming dongles are targeted at install shops. I feel the programming dongles speaks to that fact, a $50 programmer for one time use is not a consumer friendly model. Their support forum was pretty good and I think their phone support is reasonable too if you call during regular hours. But not for weekend DIYs.

No matter how difficult, imo the OEM version would also be dealer installed and no less time consuming compared to having the Fortin installed at a shop. So no difference in that sense.

For just $199, it looks promising:

zqFkSDg551Mv9ctaXxssVN1ASRdIoR.png

However, I'm more inclined to lean much harder on your initial reply that Mazda should upgrade - or better yet - completely redesign their own OEM factory installed solution. A basic remote start function from the OEM remote itself, would be a good add on for Mazda to consider. Regarding Fortin, their wiring harness looks fairly tame and it appears to be universal. I've seen and worked with much worse - this looks polished and professionally designed. I could seriously think about this - but I'd have to take a look at installation documentation first. How that is written would say a lot about whether or not I'd be seriously interested. I also see some people having difficult with not getting their key fobs to work after installing EVO-ONE and EVO-ALL. Stuff like opening the door of their vehicle and then having the engine shut off, etc. Same people claim they followed the installation instructions per the letter.

Still looks interesting to me at least on the surface - that is until Mazda gets its act together with Remote Start Technology in general. In my mind, that means applying integrated engineering methodologies and getting it fully tucked away (securely) with complete CMU integration, as opposed to being an afterthought with high visibility windshield mounted antennas, etc.

For just $199, it looks promising:

zqFkSDg551Mv9ctaXxssVN1ASRdIoR.png

However, I'm more inclined to lean much harder on your initial reply that Mazda should upgrade - or better yet - completely redesign their own OEM factory installed solution. A basic remote start function from the OEM remote itself, would be a good add on for Mazda to consider. Regarding Fortin, their wiring harness looks fairly tame and it appears to be universal. I've seen and worked with much worse - this looks polished and professionally designed. I could seriously think about this - but I'd have to take a look at installation documentation first. How that is written would say a lot about whether or not I'd be seriously interested. I also see some people having difficult with not getting their key fobs to work after installing EVO-ONE and EVO-ALL. Stuff like opening the door of their vehicle and then having the engine shut off, etc. Same people claim they followed the installation instructions per the letter.

Still looks interesting to me at least on the surface - that is until Mazda gets its act together with Remote Start Technology in general. In my mind, that means applying integrated engineering methodologies and getting it fully tucked away (securely) with complete CMU integration, as opposed to being an afterthought with high visibility windshield mounted antennas, etc.
Door opening and car stopping is a setting that person hasn't enabled.

Evo one is the product to get

Evo all doesn't do key takeover. Ie if you remote start your car, you get in, you then have to turn the car off an restart it

Evo one you remote start, get in and press start key without your foot on the brake and then drive off after it flashes the start button twice.

Funny thing is, I have key takeover on my GTI with EVO-ALL, but I keep pressing the brake when I get in the car from years of habit. So in the end I have to restart the car most of the time and it takes an effort to use the feature.

Funny thing is, I have key takeover on my GTI with EVO-ALL, but I keep pressing the brake when I get in the car from years of habit. So in the end I have to restart the car most of the time and it takes an effort to use the feature.
Hahah I do this also! Years of having a Holden Calais (chev ss)

Hard habit to kick

I just installed this system on our 16 CX-9. Here is my list of parts:

Fortin EVO-ALL
Fortin THAR-MAZ1
Crimestopper Revo 1.1 RF kit
Fortin Flash link Updater 2
Single pole toggle switch

I got the RF kit because the OEM remote has limited range. I still programmed the OEM remote to start the car but the RF kit remote is what we use when at the office.

The T harness is what makes this install pretty simple. The two wire splices you have to make are pretty critical though so use the right splices parts for a good connection. The splice wires are 24-26 awg wires so I spent unnecessary time troubleshooting a bad connection due to the splice connector not making good contact.

The hood pin and override switch is to prevent the remote start from turning the engine if someone is working on the car. A reasonable safety expectation. But I found it pretty difficult to run a wire into the cabin. So I settled for just the override switch and have to remember to switch it when changing oil or the like.

The one wire in the fuse box is a bit cryptic. It asks you to shove a wire into an empty position of one connector. Try to find a wire that fits snug like 22 awg. What this does is the end of the wire will engage the pin at the bottom of the connector and is small enough to "mate" with the wire.

Then there is the "optional" driving light connection. I did this but it is not simple. The turn signal stalk pops out from the steering column and must be disassembled to get to the wires. There isn't enough room to use quick splice connectors so I had to solder bus splices to the wires. This means handling a soldering iron and heatshrink tubing.

The programming instructions are reasonable. I highly recommend removing the OEM remote battery for this part. The placement of the remote is pretty sensitive and was the most frustrating part for me.

The T harness has plenty of wire length and I would even remove some of the unneeded wires just to lessen the bundling.

brchan, I've purchased the evo all, the updater, and the maz1 harness. Where did you find the installation instructions? Can you please provide a link if possible?

thanks!

brchan, I've purchased the evo all, the updater, and the maz1 harness. Where did you find the installation instructions? Can you please provide a link if possible?

thanks!
The instructions are at http://fortin.ca/en/vehicles/mazda/cx-9/

Select the year and look for the instructions for a standalone install with harness. Standalone means you use the EVO-ALL by itself without any other aftermarket alarms.

Look for videos by Fortin on YouTube as well. There is one for a Mazda 3 that show the programming sequence.

I installed the evo all on my vehicle and it took less than an hr to do. I am working with a distributor that I buy my home theater stuff with to start selling Fortin. So might be able to get you guys a evo one with maz3 and programmer for 200 shipped or 250 for evo all.

I installed the evo all on my vehicle and it took less than an hr to do. I am working with a distributor that I buy my home theater stuff with to start selling Fortin. So might be able to get you guys a evo one with maz3 and programmer for 200 shipped or 250 for evo all.

jm- how many wires did you splice in? I only want to do a remote start and include the parking light integration.

thanks!

I used a maz1 kit on mine. Had to tap two wires. The maz3 no taping. I did not tap my parking lights and they come on when started.

I used a maz1 kit on mine. Had to tap two wires. The maz3 no taping. I did not tap my parking lights and they come on when started.

Thanks, correct me if I'm wrong, but looks like pins 8 and 9 (both blue from the car side). I have the maz1 as well. Thanks again!

That is correct, also don’t forget about under the hood grounding.

Great, I don't think I'll be doing the underhood grounding (if you're referring to the hood latch). I'll be the only one working on the car.

The only other question I have is whether both remotes are necessary to program the remote starter? My 3 year old is a level 100 thief and has managed to misplace my 2nd key (at least that's my story).

Last edited:
You have to add a ground wire in the fuse box under the hood or it will not start. Shows the example in the instructions.

You have to add a ground wire in the fuse box under the hood or it will not start. Shows the example in the instructions.

Aha, understood. I will not miss that. I appreciate you correcting me.

Last edited:
For people in Canada you can add this module EVO-START to your EVO-One and remote start your car from anywhere using your smart phone.

Can someone share his expert advice to remove Driver side lower trim to install remote start.
I have got compustar with MAZ T Harness.

Back