'16 CX-9 Remote Start?

“The hood pin and override switch is to prevent the remote start from turning the engine if someone is working on the car. A reasonable safety expectation. But I found it pretty difficult to run a wire into the cabin. So I settled for just the override switch and have to remember to switch it when changing oil or the like.”

Can you explain in a little more detail what you meant by this? How does the engine turn when someone is working on the car and what does that have to do with the remote start?

“The hood pin and override switch is to prevent the remote start from turning the engine if someone is working on the car. A reasonable safety expectation. But I found it pretty difficult to run a wire into the cabin. So I settled for just the override switch and have to remember to switch it when changing oil or the like.”

Can you explain in a little more detail what you meant by this? How does the engine turn when someone is working on the car and what does that have to do with the remote start?
It comes with a good switch which when the bonnet is closed allows remote start to work. If the bonnet is open it will not allow the remote start to work.
Meant to be a safety featuren

The normal usecase for a remote start is that the car is locked and unattended. But the remote start has the unintended consequence that enables someone to start the car without seeing if it is safe to do so. The switch locks out the remote start when there is a risk of injury.

If I am working on the engine and my wife grabs her keys in the house and accidentally pressed the remote start, I could lose my life. And this risk applies to your mechanic or dealer.

It comes with a good switch which when the bonnet is closed allows remote start to work. If the bonnet is open it will not allow the remote start to work.
Meant to be a safety featuren
Where did you install the switch and how did you run the wire into the cabin?

Do you guys know whether the dash has to be removed to install any remote start system? I'm interested in getting one installed but don't want the dash messed with on a brand new car. I can't imagine you would need to. Heard many times that once the dash is removed, it may never be the same as new (creeks, rattles, etc..).

Do you guys know whether the dash has to be removed to install any remote start system? I'm interested in getting one installed but don't want the dash messed with on a brand new car. I can't imagine you would need to. Heard many times that once the dash is removed, it may never be the same as new (creeks, rattles, etc..).
The only thing I removed was the under side of the steering column cover. Two screws keep that cover secure.

I installed the RF kit antenna behind the rearview mirror. I needed to remove the smart sensor covers for that but it is pretty easy.

I just installed this system on our 16 CX-9. Here is my list of parts:

Fortin EVO-ALL
Fortin THAR-MAZ1
Crimestopper Revo 1.1 RF kit
Fortin Flash link Updater 2
Single pole toggle switch

I got the RF kit because the OEM remote has limited range. I still programmed the OEM remote to start the car but the RF kit remote is what we use when at the office.

The T harness is what makes this install pretty simple. The two wire splices you have to make are pretty critical though so use the right splices parts for a good connection. The splice wires are 24-26 awg wires so I spent unnecessary time troubleshooting a bad connection due to the splice connector not making good contact.

The hood pin and override switch is to prevent the remote start from turning the engine if someone is working on the car. A reasonable safety expectation. But I found it pretty difficult to run a wire into the cabin. So I settled for just the override switch and have to remember to switch it when changing oil or the like.

The one wire in the fuse box is a bit cryptic. It asks you to shove a wire into an empty position of one connector. Try to find a wire that fits snug like 22 awg. What this does is the end of the wire will engage the pin at the bottom of the connector and is small enough to "mate" with the wire.

Then there is the "optional" driving light connection. I did this but it is not simple. The turn signal stalk pops out from the steering column and must be disassembled to get to the wires. There isn't enough room to use quick splice connectors so I had to solder bus splices to the wires. This means handling a soldering iron and heatshrink tubing.

The programming instructions are reasonable. I highly recommend removing the OEM remote battery for this part. The placement of the remote is pretty sensitive and was the most frustrating part for me.

The T harness has plenty of wire length and I would even remove some of the unneeded wires just to lessen the bundling.

I just attempted to install the EVO-ALL with MAZT1 T-Harness. The reason I say "attempted" is because I found out that the car will shut off when you open the door when using the EVO-ALL and MAZT1. I bought my equipment from Crutchfield, who has pretty good customer service.

So....I exchanged the EVO-ALL and MAZT1 for an EVO-ONE and THAR-MAZ1. I do not plan on installing the hood pin switch, as brchan also indicated it is a PITA to run the wires. So I have two questions for anyone who has done this install:

1. What wires need to be cut other than the optional parking lights?

2. What is the deal with shoving a wire in the under hood fuse panel? Does this mean I need to run a wire through the firewall?

I'm looking for any advice to do the actual install. Fortin's instructions are terrible and archaic. Any advice is appreciated. Perhaps if we compile everything about the Fortin EVO-ONE, it will help others down the line looking to do this install in lieu of the horrible Mazda remote start that requires a $60 subscription annually.

Mike

I just attempted to install the EVO-ALL with MAZT1 T-Harness. The reason I say "attempted" is because I found out that the car will shut off when you open the door when using the EVO-ALL and MAZT1. I bought my equipment from Crutchfield, who has pretty good customer service.

So....I exchanged the EVO-ALL and MAZT1 for an EVO-ONE and THAR-MAZ1. I do not plan on installing the hood pin switch, as brchan also indicated it is a PITA to run the wires. So I have two questions for anyone who has done this install:

1. What wires need to be cut other than the optional parking lights?

2. What is the deal with shoving a wire in the under hood fuse panel? Does this mean I need to run a wire through the firewall?

I'm looking for any advice to do the actual install. Fortin's instructions are terrible and archaic. Any advice is appreciated. Perhaps if we compile everything about the Fortin EVO-ONE, it will help others down the line looking to do this install in lieu of the horrible Mazda remote start that requires a $60 subscription annually.

Mike
Get the THAR 3 . It's now plug and play apart from parker lights

Just got my EVO-ONE and MAZ3 harness for my 17' CX-9 after returning the EVO-ALL and MAZT1 because it is a worthless piece of crap that makes you hack up your brand new car's harness and would make you have to re-start after entering the car. Let me tell you, the EVO-ONE is a royal pain in the A$$ to get to program. The MAZ3 harness may be direct plug and play, but you will want to break something/set something on fire trying to program this piece of garbage. I have a tangled mess of a wire harness chilling in my footwell right now as this worthless thing will not remote start my car. The directions for this kit are horrendous. Do not attempt to do this if you haven't had experience putting remote starters in cars. I'm going to go drink now. End rant.

Just got my EVO-ONE and MAZ3 harness for my 17' CX-9 after returning the EVO-ALL and MAZT1 because it is a worthless piece of crap that makes you hack up your brand new car's harness and would make you have to re-start after entering the car. Let me tell you, the EVO-ONE is a royal pain in the A$$ to get to program. The MAZ3 harness may be direct plug and play, but you will want to break something/set something on fire trying to program this piece of garbage. I have a tangled mess of a wire harness chilling in my footwell right now as this worthless thing will not remote start my car. The directions for this kit are horrendous. Do not attempt to do this if you haven't had experience putting remote starters in cars. I'm going to go drink now. End rant.
Hmmmm
I didn't have such problems, to be honest I thought it was an easy install.

Only issue I had was had to try a couple times with dcryptor

There is always a guy on the forums who has done something in 5 minutes with no problems. (lol)

There is always a guy on the forums who has done something in 5 minutes with no problems. (lol)
My biggest issue was harness wiring where my taps were not making good contact. Otherwise it was time consuming but not hard.

Update: I got it working. I had to call Crutchfield (who I bought the Fortin equipment from) and have them explain a few things since Fortin's directions are horrible. The car now remote starts and has the takeover function so I don't have to restart once entering the car. I may add the RF kit as I am a little uneasy about having my lock actuators run 3x when I hit the lock button 3x to start the car.

All things considered, this took alot of time, research, and troubleshooting. Maybe I will do a write up of things I learned during the process so I can save other members some time when they choose to do something like this. To everyone who posted about Fortin in this thread, thanks for the advice and for dealing with my rant. It was quite frustrating.

Update: I got it working. I had to call Crutchfield (who I bought the Fortin equipment from) and have them explain a few things since Fortin's directions are horrible. The car now remote starts and has the takeover function so I don't have to restart once entering the car. I may add the RF kit as I am a little uneasy about having my lock actuators run 3x when I hit the lock button 3x to start the car.

All things considered, this took alot of time, research, and troubleshooting. Maybe I will do a write up of things I learned during the process so I can save other members some time when they choose to do something like this. To everyone who posted about Fortin in this thread, thanks for the advice and for dealing with my rant. It was quite frustrating.

Oh, my gawd. I've been watching this thread from afar hoping and praying that Mazda would too and do something about this. Remote Start with Smart Climate Control that does not require flipping through poorly hacked together technology just to make it work, must be on the docket for Mazda in 2019. I can't imagine it not being front and center, especially for the flagship CX-9 where it belongs at minimum at all trim levels as standard functionality. This should be fully integrated through the CMU with an OEM factory installed HotSpot. That will take care of the "range" issue and a number of different security concerns.

Fully integrated OEM implemented Mobile SmartClimate, Mobile SmartEntertaiment, Mobile SmartSeats and Mobile SmartLocks. All of these things are doable right now and would take the CX-9 to the next level in terms of true luxury appointments. It would be one more thing that truly sets the CX-9 ahead of all other seven passenger SUVs under $50k.

Mazda Corporate: Are you following this thread? Because, Convenience Matters.

zDffICdytrM6SjNiYusg2jJXqBhDIb.png

Last edited:
Oh, my gawd. I've been watching this thread from afar hoping and praying that Mazda would too and do something about this. Remote Start with Smart Climate Control that does not require flipping through poorly hacked together technology just to make it work, must be on the docket for Mazda in 2019. I can't imagine it not being front and center, especially for the flagship CX-9 where it belongs at minimum at all trim levels as standard functionality. This should be fully integrated through the CMU with an OEM factory installed HotSpot. That will take care of the "range" issue and a number of different security concerns.

Fully integrated OEM implemented Mobile SmartClimate, Mobile SmartEntertaiment, Mobile SmartSeats and Mobile SmartLocks. All of these things are doable right now and would take the CX-9 to the next level in terms of true luxury appointments. It would be one more thing that truly sets the CX-9 ahead of all other seven passenger SUVs under $50k.

Mazda Corporate: Are you following this thread? Because, Convenience Matters.

zDffICdytrM6SjNiYusg2jJXqBhDIb.png
Functionality aside, Mazda does have their smart phone remote start. So you might be asking for an upgrade of that system instead of a new one?

Let's be fair, Fortin does not recommend end user installs. Their site, instructions and programming dongles are targeted at install shops. I feel the programming dongles speaks to that fact, a $50 programmer for one time use is not a consumer friendly model. Their support forum was pretty good and I think their phone support is reasonable too if you call during regular hours. But not for weekend DIYs.

No matter how difficult, imo the OEM version would also be dealer installed and no less time consuming compared to having the Fortin installed at a shop. So no difference in that sense.

Functionality aside, Mazda does have their smart phone remote start. So you might be asking for an upgrade of that system instead of a new one?

Let's be fair, Fortin does not recommend end user installs. Their site, instructions and programming dongles are targeted at install shops. I feel the programming dongles speaks to that fact, a $50 programmer for one time use is not a consumer friendly model. Their support forum was pretty good and I think their phone support is reasonable too if you call during regular hours. But not for weekend DIYs.

No matter how difficult, imo the OEM version would also be dealer installed and no less time consuming compared to having the Fortin installed at a shop. So no difference in that sense.
This is spot on

It's only a diy thing if you have strong abilities

Back