'16 CX-9 Remote Start?

I am looking to add a remote start too. I've read the OEM smartphone option has issues with lag and connectivity. And the dealer has no info for the regular remote start so it might come down to a 3rd party kit.

Looking for more info from others that have remote start installed.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

I have it, it sucks. A key fob option would have been wonderful, but the mobile app is atrocious. Worst part is the car shuts off as soon you unlock it, forcing you to restart the vehicle. Also has a yearly subscription! Worse accessory ever.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am looking to add a remote start too. I've read the OEM smartphone option has issues with lag and connectivity. And the dealer has no info for the regular remote start so it might come down to a 3rd party kit.

Looking for more info from others that have remote start installed.

Remote start with own keyfob thats aftermarket still works better I was told by the mazda dealer in my location as they install it and told me the mazda mobile start has issues and you pay the yearly subscription. There is also a mobile remote start via smartphone thats aftermarket as well...check out the photo

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    144.3 KB · Views: 798
Remote start with own keyfob thats aftermarket still works better I was told by the mazda dealer in my location as they install it and told me the mazda mobile start has issues and you pay the yearly subscription. There is also a mobile remote start via smartphone thats aftermarket as well...check out the photo
Just to be clear, when you say "own keyfob" that means you carry the OEM fob and the remote start fob correct? Do they still need to put an OEM key in the car or something to bypass the on board security?

Just to be clear, when you say "own keyfob" that means you carry the OEM fob and the remote start fob correct? Do they still need to put an OEM key in the car or something to bypass the on board security?

I meant an aftermarket brand of remote start that has a 1-way or 2-way remote. I've seen a mazda brand of remote startbut I believe those are only for the CX5s or Mazda 3s...haven't seen anything yet for the CX9s

That sounds interesting especially since it integrates with the OEM remote. But it raises the question of the OEM remote range and if that even changes with a "range extender" they mention. Need more info to see the whole picture.

Anybody installed one of these?
https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)

My car came standard with it here (Holden VF Calais) ie your Chev SS and its a feature i desperately miss here in Australia.
Im thinking about taking the risk for $250
Looks like the hardware is called EVO-ALL by Fortin. The Amazon listing has a bit of markup. The Fortin site has pretty good instructions for different installation configs. Looks legit overall but you have to go through their server to duplicate your key for the bypass. Internet security concerns abound.

By the time i land it in Aus not much of a difference for me.
Looks pretty simple to program, and i will certianly order one of these in 2 weeks

just installed this fortin kit into my 2017 and all is working, just have to sort out one programming issue

Thanks for posting your results! What programming issues did you have to resolve? Any other tips for a smooth install?

Yes easy to install. Basically plug in and make n3 wire connections. You could make this plug and play if you had one more factory connector.
I stupidly forgot to cut one wire so that was the only issue

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Could you do a write up for this please. Which component you have to buy extra? the website recommend the EVO-MAZT1 which include the T-harness and it's cheaper. Does your CX-9 come with factory alarm, does the car shut off when you open the door and what is the range, I assume as far the OEM remote goes? Thanks

Last edited:
If i get time over the weekend i may do a write up

EVO-MAZT1 does not have Key Takeover, meaning you cant just get in push the start button and go with the vehicle still running

Not usre if my azami has a factory alarm

Car doesnt shut off when you open the door, if you get in and push the brake pedal it will turn off, but if you get in (dont touch the brake), push the start button and wait two seconds you can then drive straight away

If i get time over the weekend i may do a write up

EVO-MAZT1 does not have Key Takeover, meaning you cant just get in push the start button and go with the vehicle still running

Not sure if my azami has a factory alarm

Car doesnt shut off when you open the door, if you get in and push the brake pedal it will turn off, but if you get in (dont touch the brake), push the start button and wait two seconds you can then drive straight away

This would work better with the car still running when the door open.

I guess you need to get the T-HARNESS THAR-ONE-MAZ2 and the FLASH-LINK UPDATER for the install? Also I read up on the instruction and it mention you need the HOOD PIN as well, does
the package come with it? The instruction with take over only mention for 1-key does this to work for both key?

Where do you put the module after everything is done?

Last edited:
I just installed this system on our 16 CX-9. Here is my list of parts:

Fortin EVO-ALL
Fortin THAR-MAZ1
Crimestopper Revo 1.1 RF kit
Fortin Flash link Updater 2
Single pole toggle switch

I got the RF kit because the OEM remote has limited range. I still programmed the OEM remote to start the car but the RF kit remote is what we use when at the office.

The T harness is what makes this install pretty simple. The two wire splices you have to make are pretty critical though so use the right splices parts for a good connection. The splice wires are 24-26 awg wires so I spent unnecessary time troubleshooting a bad connection due to the splice connector not making good contact.

The hood pin and override switch is to prevent the remote start from turning the engine if someone is working on the car. A reasonable safety expectation. But I found it pretty difficult to run a wire into the cabin. So I settled for just the override switch and have to remember to switch it when changing oil or the like.

The one wire in the fuse box is a bit cryptic. It asks you to shove a wire into an empty position of one connector. Try to find a wire that fits snug like 22 awg. What this does is the end of the wire will engage the pin at the bottom of the connector and is small enough to "mate" with the wire.

Then there is the "optional" driving light connection. I did this but it is not simple. The turn signal stalk pops out from the steering column and must be disassembled to get to the wires. There isn't enough room to use quick splice connectors so I had to solder bus splices to the wires. This means handling a soldering iron and heatshrink tubing.

The programming instructions are reasonable. I highly recommend removing the OEM remote battery for this part. The placement of the remote is pretty sensitive and was the most frustrating part for me.

The T harness has plenty of wire length and I would even remove some of the unneeded wires just to lessen the bundling.

Back