List all the bad things about the CX-9.

jastevenson

:
Lots
Drove it and loved it. Now give me reasons to NOT buy it -- I don't want to find out about a glaring flaw the day after I sign up for 5 years of car payments!

Here's what I'm aware of so far:
-No CarPlay
-Lower HP (although more torque) than competitors.
-???

No heated steering wheel
No heated rear seats
No ventilated seats
Oh, that's right, you're in Florida.Never mind.

No CD Player
No DVD player
No 110V Outlets
No expensive German service charges
No expensive German replacement parts
Not paying an extra $20K for identical safety and electronic features in an Audi, Lexus or BMW
Not driving another "me too" car like every other luxury car wanna be.

I wish the adaptive cruise control was operable at low speeds, I think it only works 19 mph and over, I also wish there were air vents in the 3rd row. I love Nissan's birds eye view for parking and vehicle position. , towing capacity is rather low compared to several vehicles in it's class. Last, I have some concern for this being a first year model, new technology with regard to the engine and transmission are of great concern to me and the Mazda warranty is 3 yr 36,000 bumper to bumper while the power train is only covered to 5 year 60000 mile limited, I can't imagine how much repairs will be for this vehicle . With these issues noted in my opinion the CX 9 remains my top choice.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I wish the adaptive cruise control was operable at low speeds, I think it only works 19 mph and over, I also wish there were air vents in the 3rd row. I love Nissan's birds eye view for parking and vehicle position. , towing capacity is rather low compared to several vehicles in it's class. Last, I have some concern for this being a first year model, new technology with regard to the engine and transmission are of great concern to me and the Mazda warranty is 3 yr 36,000 bumper to bumper while the power train is only covered to 5 year 60000 mile limited, I can't imagine how much repairs will be for this vehicle . With these issues noted in my opinion the CX 9 remains my top choice.

No auto folding mirror
No auto tilt down mirror
Memory seats ?
Less seat adjustments than competition
No panoramique sunroof
No 6 cylinders option if you want one
Weak A/C system
Reported frequent bugs/reboot of nav/ audio system

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
6 way power seats.
Instrument Panel a little bland.
Reports of auto braking activating without an obstacle.
No surround view cameras.

Last edited:
real world fuel economy is not quite EPA rating (we average 21-22 mpg combined)
as stated above:
no android auto/apple carplay
no ventilated seats/ heated steering wheel/ heated rear seats
bluetooth connectivity can be finicky
would be nice if memory seating (which is available on driver side at least on my GT trim) also memorized side mirror positioning
would be nice if mazda offered a remote start in the same keyfob that didn't require a subscription service to their Mazda Mobile Start app service
rear cargo seems a tad less than competitors or even the old CX-9 model

some things others state that i do not experience (or care about):
pano roof
weak A/C (has not been my experience)
frequent infotainment reboot (not my experience thusfar although i can see this happening, my CX-5 did have it)
overzealous collision warning system (not my experience, but if its gonna err i would rather it be overzealous than underzealous)

Bad infotainment system. Some people experience reboots or blank screens as myself. Mazda support is useless. They're been"fixing" this issue for years". Expect to have problems with it. Hopefully you get lucky, but just expect it to be unusable

Seat adjustment lacks tilt.

No power folding side mirror. No side mirror tilt down when reversing

It has power lift gate, but it's not handsfree (doesn't activate with your feet)

No ventilated seats

Forgot to mention...

NO front parking sensors!!!! This has been one of the most shocking missing features given this part exist and it's on the Australian version. You can look it up on their site.

- Incomplete implementation of Adaptative Cruise Control, the car is not able to get you to smooth stop on the US
- Cargo area cover should be similar to the CX5, instead of what we got, which only work with 3rd row down

Drove it and loved it. Now give me reasons to NOT buy it -- I don't want to find out about a glaring flaw the day after I sign up for 5 years of car payments!

Here's what I'm aware of so far:
-No CarPlay
-Lower HP (although more torque) than competitors.
-???

Forget about the low HP. The new CX9 is a pleasure to drive. I had the old one and now the turbo one. This is better. You will see how you can always drive at 2000 - 3500 rpm because this have torque like a v8 or Diesel engine.

No carplay is terrible. I agree!

I believe we will be fine in regards to engine and transmission. My Mazda have 6 years of warranty for the engine, turbo and all mechanics.

No android auto/carplay
No ventilated seats, no heated rear seats
no air vents in 3rd row
unable to adjust ammount of air in front console (central air vents)
memory on keys with only 2 memory buttons (my old volvo had 3)
memory on keys only adjust HUD and seats (in the pathfinder you can adjust via memory the seats, mirror, steering wheel position and radio memory presets).
no auto folding mirror
no panoramic sunroof
no remote start
no around view cameras (my xtail have it!)
no autohold / autobrake
no autobrake when reverse and sensors detect collision (like infiniti)
no hybrid options
no sensor for power lift gate (like pathfinder)
no 110v outlet
no front parking sensors (like in australia!)
no air vents for central console (like rogue nissan!)
no knee airbag (like mitsubishi)
mediocre bluetooth (my xtrail bluetooth works better)
stupid GPS algorithm
no electric steering wheel adjustment (like pathfinder)
no full hd screen infotainment for kids
no wifi hot spot
no v6 option (but anyway I will purchase the turbo one)
no AWD indications or controls (snow, sand, etc). I know we have 20+ sensors and works OK but I would like some indications!

At least it has a low washer fluid light! I couldn't believe that my F150 Lari doesn't have one.

My only real complaint is MPG. But I don't drive it much.

I did see several talk about the non tilting mirrors in reverse. Did they remove that in 2016? I know in our 2013 the mirror selector switch had to be on either left or right for it to work. In the middle and no dice!

Is there no DVD system available in the 2016? My 2011 had a roof mounted one with 110v outlet in the 3rd row. My 2015 had a sunroof and the grandkids have their own iPads so I opted not to get the headrest mounted system I have seen, which may be a dealer option.

My driver seat has tilt, which I use to great effect to support my thighs and it has 3 memory settings...I think there are 3, but no they don't remember radio presets.

My biggest disappointment in their infotainment system is that plugging in my iPhone or iPad it's like it has never seen the unit before. It takes around 5 minutes before it sees the 2500 songs and lets me shuffle the songs. Why can't it remember the unit I use everyday? I don't mess with the system in my wife's new CX-5 enough to find out if this problem has been taken care of.

I forgot--

60/40 2nd row seating, rather than 40/20/40. I understand that the CX-5 is only a 2-row SUV, so 40/20/40 may be more critical for flexibility, but this is kind of mind boggling that they can't include such a basic and handy feature--especially when they thought of it on other vehicles in their lineup. C'mon now, Mazda.

I read all these...I get 25+ mpg. The adaptive cruise control meets my needs. I'd like memory mirrors and power folding mirrors as well as more leg room. The infotainment system works as designed...problems are hardware, not software (if they work on my hardware and not on your hardware with the same software, the problem ain't software.) Front proximity sensors are needed. Power is more than adequate.

All that said, I'd buy it again. Nit pick all you want, but find the perfect car at the same price????

no android auto/apple car play
just in general crappy and outdated infotainment
questionable A/C performance
no standard real keyfob remote start system
heated rear seats
ventilated/cooled seats
no air vents in third row
no kick sensor to automatically open lift gate like Ford Escape and new 17 CRV
MPG sucks compared to epa

I didn't see anyone comment on these:

* Thick A pillars
* Mirror mounted turn signals are visible to the driver when blinking and are the same color as the blind spot monitoring warning lights
* Can't see trip distance and total odometer reading simultaneously

Those are listed in descending order of significance. The first problem is annoying, but I assume that's for crash strength reasons, so ok. The second problem seems really dumb to me. Why in the world show the driver the turn signals blinking in the same color and location as the BSM warning lights? The third problem is really minor.

Despite all of the issues listed in this thread, I love our CX-9.

I didn't see anyone comment on these:

* Thick A pillars
* Mirror mounted turn signals are visible to the driver when blinking and are the same color as the blind spot monitoring warning lights
* Can't see trip distance and total odometer reading simultaneously

Those are listed in descending order of significance. The first problem is annoying, but I assume that's for crash strength reasons, so ok. The second problem seems really dumb to me. Why in the world show the driver the turn signals blinking in the same color and location as the BSM warning lights? The third problem is really minor.

Despite all of the issues listed in this thread, I love our CX-9.

- the thick A pillars are deceptive, because they pushed them back a bit so they are not as obtrusive to the front windshield view so that mitigates the effect of thick pillars a bit. but if you look at the pillars themselves directly they are a bit big.
- i agree about the BSM/turn signal, but if you have a HUD (GT and Signature) you see the BSM signal in the HUD so it's not that relevant
- i can see the trip distance and total odometer simultaneously on my instrument cluster (GT trim)

Back