2016 CX-9 Wiper Blade Connector

I was wondering when someone else would find this blade design a royal PITA. These OEM blades suck getting the road salt and snow off the windshield. Along with my "dribbling" driver-side washer spout, Ive gone through 2 tanks of washer fluid since September. Oh yeah, and Mazda today forget to install a low Washer Fluid light in this car. Nothing like running out of fluid without know. Like WTF happened Mazda. Leaky spray hose, totally unique wiper blade connector and no low or empty washer fluid indicator. The windshield cleaning team should be fired!

My dealer is going to replace my spray nozzle after I showed them a few videos of the spray nozzle just spraying out fluid as I take right hand turns above 20MPH. Mazda told them it's probably normal and the dealer should go try it on another car Really? Norma? WTF!

I was wondering when someone else would find this blade design a royal PITA. These OEM blades suck getting the road salt and snow off the windshield. Along with my "dribbling" driver-side washer spout, Ive gone through 2 tanks of washer fluid since September. Oh yeah, and Mazda today forget to install a low Washer Fluid light in this car. Nothing like running out of fluid without know. Like WTF happened Mazda. Leaky spray hose, totally unique wiper blade connector and no low or empty washer fluid indicator. The windshield cleaning team should be fired!

My dealer is going to replace my spray nozzle after I showed them a few videos of the spray nozzle just spraying out fluid as I take right hand turns above 20MPH. Mazda told them it's probably normal and the dealer should go try it on another car Really? Norma? WTF!
That's odd, my GT has a low washer fluid warning. Is it only on some models?
I get advanced warning when it's low as it starts triggering on large sweeping turns like freeway on-ramps.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

That's odd, my GT has a low washer fluid warning. Is it only on some models?
I get advanced warning when it's low as it starts triggering on large sweeping turns like freeway on-ramps.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Apparently Canadian models have the light, USA models don't.

Brought my car in for local dealer to service the dribbling washer nozzle and look at the entire washer system.

1. According to Mazda, there is NO Low Washer fluid indicator in ANY North America CX-9 of any model. That includes USA, Canada and Mexico.

2. They are stumped by the washer blade connector design. They called to indicate they replaced the blades on driver and passenger. Got a call back 10 minutes later that they had to order the blades and there is NO ETA for the arrival for Japan. I showed the parts guys the connector and they were completely stumped as well. Apparently Mazda F'd up on this design as well.

3. Regarding my "tinkling" sprayer, they brought in the regional Mazda Service manager who also drives a new CX-9. Her car has the same problem as mine when they took it out to test. The Mazda Tech on the west coast, also drives a CX-9, and HE has the same problem. They all agree that, while it's not right, it's the design. The service manager agrees, the new design is highly underdesigned and they messed up a good system. Until enough people complain about the problem, Mazda will likely do nothing. They did agree to order a back pressure valve and will install at no charge.

Does NOBOBY else have this problem? Easy to replicate. User the washer to clean the window. Then take a right turn or turn on a right-hand ramp above 15MPH. At this point the driver side washer nozzle sprays out fluid during the entire turn.....nobody?

Brought my car in for local dealer to service the dribbling washer nozzle and look at the entire washer system.

1. According to Mazda, there is NO Low Washer fluid indicator in ANY North America CX-9 of any model. That includes USA, Canada and Mexico.

2. They are stumped by the washer blade connector design. They called to indicate they replaced the blades on driver and passenger. Got a call back 10 minutes later that they had to order the blades and there is NO ETA for the arrival for Japan. I showed the parts guys the connector and they were completely stumped as well. Apparently Mazda F'd up on this design as well.

3. Regarding my "tinkling" sprayer, they brought in the regional Mazda Service manager who also drives a new CX-9. Her car has the same problem as mine when they took it out to test. The Mazda Tech on the west coast, also drives a CX-9, and HE has the same problem. They all agree that, while it's not right, it's the design. The service manager agrees, the new design is highly underdesigned and they messed up a good system. Until enough people complain about the problem, Mazda will likely do nothing. They did agree to order a back pressure valve and will install at no charge.

Does NOBOBY else have this problem? Easy to replicate. User the washer to clean the window. Then take a right turn or turn on a right-hand ramp above 15MPH. At this point the driver side washer nozzle sprays out fluid during the entire turn.....nobody?
I haven't seen the washer problem, just the STUPID mount design.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

My new Toyota has the same wiper blade connectors (different size blades) as the CX-9. There will be more blades on the market as demand builds.

That quick release magazine connector is common on VW and Ford vehicles. Not my favourite but they should be easy to find in car shops.

That quick release magazine connector is common on VW and Ford vehicles. Not my favourite but they should be easy to find in car shops.

Show me. Autoparts stores have never seen it before. Mazda dealer has never seen it before and a replacement set is backordered forever from Mazda.

The new Mazda one is not the same magazine that's out there on the VW, I tried.

The new design is a little longer, a very little bit wider, and has a stupid little half moon shape bump that needs to line up.

It is its own unique disaster of engineering

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

As someone mentioned on here previously, you could simply swap out the entire wiper arm with 2015 model arms. They're the same size and use the industry standard connector. About $50ish and arm and problem solved.

SeCX-9: Thank you for providing specific details for this work around. To echo what SeCX-9 mentioned above, the CX-9 2015 model arms do work. You can fit your wiper blade upgrades as usual. I did go through one dealership for the 2015 wiper arms, so my prices are a higher $77.68 (driver side) $62.89 passenger side; plus no refunds/returns/exchanges on special order parts, so I would ask the parts rep 3 times to make sure it is the CX-9 2105 arm that is being ordered. (Please note that the arms do not come with any wiper blades). Bosch Icon wiper blades (for the pair 26A/17B) came to $53 at my local auto parts store. Then back to another dealership for them to swap it all out for $72. I suggest anyone reading this go do their own shopping outside of the dealership, and install the arm yourself, or go to another mechanic/shop that can do it for less. I received great service from my dealership and mildly regret paying $266 total for this project to work - I am just stubborn. I hope someone can use this information to benchmark their own price points with this workaround. Thanks again SeCX-9 - mentioning "2015 model arm" ....that was instrumental.

I just checked 3 brands. Trico and Anco still do not list blades for our cars. Bosch incorrectly lists the old style blades. Our Toyota uses the same type connector, but different size blades. Some day (soon?) some blade maker will have replacement wiper blades for us.

Last edited:
Thanks MachineZoomZoom. I haven't done the legwork for actual parts. Do you have the Mazda part #s for both driver and passenger side?

Just checked Michelin website in Canada and look like they have the wiper blade for the 2016/2017 CX-9 https://ca.michelin-lifestyle.com/en/michelin-stealth-wiper-blade-1
Might be the one. I think "Top Lock" connector is the key we need to look for with any brand. The Michelin Stealth Ultra Hybrid wiper blade is one that lists Top Lock connector fit. There might be others. And, there might be more than one size of the connector...19 mm width is correct for our cars.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)

Last edited:
I think all the major aftermarket wiper blade makers have blades that will fit our cars, but their catalogs are not up to date. Go to the blade maker web site...Trico, Anco, etc. Look at the connector. Anco calls it a 19mm bayonet. Trico calls it a 19 mm push button. You'll spot the diagram and the 19 mm. You can measure the length of the wipers on your car, maybe look at each blade model to find which has the connector that works for us (Trico calls theirs the (SWIFT universal, one-click connection system"), and you'll know what to buy. Trico Ice is a winter blade with the right connector for us. Trico Force, Onyx, Sentry, Ice will all fit (I think). Anco Contour. Other makers have blades that will work. Bosch...check the package. Michelin call the connector Top Lock, and their EZ-Lok connector looks right, but they don't confirm that it's the 19 mm type.

now looking for replacement wiper blades and i have to say it is a pain to find the right ones. no retailer carries these. Dealer/OEM parts cost like $50 for both wipers not including shipping (i do not want to pay $70 shipped for wiper blades!). very frustrating and hoping others have found a reasonable (read: affordable) solution to get compatible wiper blades for the 2016 CX-9.

I telephoned Bosch. They said that they do not have front wiper blade for our cars. I asked the nice fellow from Bosch if anyone there had even looked at the cars. He was sure they had....

Find a retailer with a great return policy. Buy the blades you like that look like they'll fit. You can measure the length...24" & 18". Open a package and check the instructions for a connector that looks like ours. Trico calls it the 19 mm push button. My posting above gives more names for the same connector. Buy the blades, put them on, if they fit, promptly test them at home with water from a hose or a drive in the rain. If they work, great. Let us all know the make & model of the blades. If they don't work well, take them back to that store with the great return policy.

Trico recommended their Neoform blades to me. The guy also said that Trico's Force and Onyx are identical, just different labels. I have no idea why all these makers have so many models. In the Bosch line the A suffix on the blade catalog number indicates that it is best on the flat part of the windshield on the driver's side, and the B suffix for the passenger side if there is a lot of curvature there. I think our windshields are rather flat on both sides and the A would work on both sides--this needs a hose test to be sure. Michelin shows a listing with the wrong blades sizes...did the earlier CX9s take 26 & 16" blades? (Trico & Anco list the 2015 CX9 using 26" & 17")

Anco shows their C-24-N and C-18-N "Contour" blades fitting the 19 mm bayonet connector. Those would probably work fine.

Does anybody have experience with the Michelin Stealth blades with the rubber cover or the Stealth Ultra with the hard shell? Any pluses or minuses with either?

Last edited:
I am also nearing needing new blades. As TheMAN pointed out, Mazda sells the inserts - looks like part numbers TK4867333 and TK7867333. For about $6 apiece, I'm willing to go that route.

Today I went to O'Reilly's Auto Parts (good staff) to buy blades. I tried Bosch. Rain-X. Trico.
Strike One.
Strike Two.
Strike Three.

The wiper arm connector has a slot on each side. The blade connector has a finger that goes into each slot. None of these aftermarket blades had an adapter that worked.

Buy the Mazda inserts. MOM (Mazda Owner's Manual) tells how to fit them into the blades.

By the way, our Toyota has the same connectors. Some day...there will be some aftermarket blades that fit.

Back