2016 CX-9 Wiper Blade Connector

SeCX-9

:
2016 Mazda CX-9 Signature
Just went to swap in a pair of Winter blades and discovered a completely new arm blade connector style. Never seen this before! Just did little research and found it looks a lot like a Top Lock style but there's an open channel onto side which is not in any pictures i see online. This should make finding aftermarket blades difficult.

Anyone else seen this type of connector and have advice where to find aftermarket blades which fit?

See attached images. IMG_8156.jpgIMG_8155.jpg

Last edited:
The guys at AutoZone said they've never seen this type of connector before. They said it looks like a BMW Top Lock, but the channels on the side are not the same.

Anyone?

yes, it's an euro style connector
why do you want "winter blades"? The stock ones are all season and works good in snow/ice... those aftermarket blades are crap!

So says the guy who lives in Dallas Texas......

After market blades are crap? not all. There are many great aftermarket brands for wiper blades. I just don't want to get stuck buying them from Mazda.

All kidding aside, thanks for the response though...

Says the guy who used to live in CANADA
You know nothing about me, yet you jump to conclusions

Aftermarket wiper blades don't fit well, look like crap, and don't have the correct spring tension to allow proper performance, usually
You don't always have to replace the entire blade... just replace the rubber strip, far cheaper and environmentally friendlier

SeCX-9, I have good luck with Bosch ICON's

give them a try, you can find them almost anywhere or Amazon

they have both versions included with their wipers: Top Lock regular and Top Lock narrow

not sure which one the new CX-9, hopes this helps..... see video

Last edited:
As I said, Thanks TheMan.

I saw that Bosch has the TopLock, however the Mazda has a alignment channels on both sides of the arm. Not sure how the blade will hold in the Mazda version. See my original photo uploaded or here.

Attachments

• IMG_8155.jpg
    IMG_8155.jpg
    631.5 KB · Views: 692
As I said, Thanks TheMan.

I saw that Bosch has the TopLock, however the Mazda has a alignment channels on both sides of the arm. Not sure how the blade will hold in the Mazda version. See my original photo uploaded or here.

According to the Bosch website, the ICON winter blades in the appropriate sizes are NOT compatible with the 2016 CX-9. No explanation is given.

Additionally, neither Trico nor Anco list front wiper blades for the CX-9. Anco lists only one for the rear.

Last edited:
at it's worse, you can always "downgrade" to older CX-9 wiper arms and then use whatever J hook style wiper blades you want!

Thanks TheMAN. I was thinking that as an option, but as long as my dealer stocks these, I guess I'll be locked in.

So says the guy who lives in Dallas Texas......

After market blades are crap? not all. There are many great aftermarket brands for wiper blades. I just don't want to get stuck buying them from Mazda.

All kidding aside, thanks for the response though...

I have a '12, and all I've ever done is replace the rubber inserts. I've never replaced the entire blade itself.

I did that for years but then stopped seeing the rubber inserts in stores. I figured it was a typical cash-grab making you buy the whole arm each time. Where do I find the inserts? (he asks, before checking Amazon.:) )

They are a cash grab, which is why I just buy a couple of sets at a time from the dealer, which ARE available from

Have you figured out a solution yet? I'm in the same boat.

The OEM blades are GARBAGE in extreme cold. I have to clear ice off the blades ever 5 min when it's snowing here in Alaska.

They're probably fine in lower 48 snow but not in -20F Alaska. I need to get some Rain-X Latitudes or Bosch ICONs installed but that stupid oval makes everything off limits.

Love the car but this is annoying

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Have you figured out a solution yet? I'm in the same boat.

The OEM blades are GARBAGE in extreme cold. I have to clear ice off the blades ever 5 min when it's snowing here in Alaska.

They're probably fine in lower 48 snow but not in -20F Alaska. I need to get some Rain-X Latitudes or Bosch ICONs installed but that stupid oval makes everything off limits.

Love the car but this is annoying

Nope. Hoping for the best with our snow in Boston. So far, they're ok, but no major snow storms yet.

We had a terrible blizzard like storm where I live and the wipers performed horribly. They repeatedly froze. I contacted my Mazda dealer who told me all about the new connector. He told me that not only can't he find me winter blades from any company, but Mazda does not even have a winter blade that fits. So essentially Mazda changed the design of the connection which makes it currently impossible to change the wiper to a winter wiper at this time, even with Mazda's own parts. I asked why Mazda would do such a thing, and he replied: "I have no idea". He also said he is contacting Mazda directly to see when they would be coming out with a winter blade to fix this. Combine this with the fact that there is no low washer fluid warning on the CX-9 and we have a great combination. I love the way it drives, but the little things are starting to add up with me.

We had a terrible blizzard like storm where I live and the wipers performed horribly. They repeatedly froze. I contacted my Mazda dealer who told me all about the new connector. He told me that not only can't he find me winter blades from any company, but Mazda does not even have a winter blade that fits. So essentially Mazda changed the design of the connection which makes it currently impossible to change the wiper to a winter wiper at this time, even with Mazda's own parts. I asked why Mazda would do such a thing, and he replied: "I have no idea". He also said he is contacting Mazda directly to see when they would be coming out with a winter blade to fix this. Combine this with the fact that there is no low washer fluid warning on the CX-9 and we have a great combination. I love the way it drives, but the little things are starting to add up with me.

As someone mentioned on here previously, you could simply swap out the entire wiper arm with 2015 model arms. They're the same size and use the industry standard connector. About $50ish and arm and problem solved.

not only that, the 2015 and older arms can accept the NWB "Designer Wiper" (aka hybrid) wiper blades, the same long life graphite coated blades the Mazda6 and CX-5 uses. They work very good even in a blizzard or icy conditions. The graphite coated rubber is designed for 3 years lifespan and they also work better with "Rain-X" treated glass... will not smear as easily... I can attest to this.

We found that using deicer windshield washer fluid makes it manageable, but still not as good as my Rain-X Latitudes on our other vehicles.

Moronic that on an otherwise great vehicle there's this embarrassing design blunder. I'm at the point of not liking the vehicle over not being able to drive it safely in snow.

Back